About the butler....

Freckles67

We've been upgraded to Queen's Grill on the Dec. 16th Caribbean sailing. I'm guessing that this means we will have the services of a butler. I read in the brochure that the butler unpacks and packs the suitcases. I am not sure that I want a stranger unpacking my clothes. I think I'd prefer to do this myself. How do I let the butler know that I don't want him to unpack for me? Put a lock on the suitcase? A note inside the suitcase? "Dear Butler, Thanks anyway, but please don't unpack my suitcase." ???

What are some of the other functions of a butler?

And how much extra do we tip him? or her? are there female butlers?

Thanks for your advice. I must have misunderstood what I read at the Cunard website here: http://www.cunard.com/OurShips/default.asp?Ship=QM2&main=acc&sub=qgr (Copied below)

Exclusive amenities include:

• Priority embarkation with separate Grill check-in
  • Full bottle of French champagne with sugar-iced strawberries at embarkation
  • Complimentary in-room bar set up
  • Fruit basket & bottled water replenished daily or as needed
  • Full flower arrangement
  • Personalised Cunard stationery
  • In-room Xbox
  • Single-seating dining in the Queens Grill, or En Suite from the Queens Grill menu
  • 24-hour room service & Grills Concierge services
  • Butler service (including packing/unpacking service)

• Access to Grills Concierge Lounge, Queens Grill Lounge and private Queens Grill sun Deck
  • Daily abridged newspaper
  • Shoe shine service
  • Evening canapés
  • Frette linens & duvet
  • Pillow Concierge offering nine pillow options
  • Nightly turndown service with pillow chocolates plus special Sweet Dreams turndown surprise on formal nights
  • Terry cloth bathrobe & slippers
  • Fine Canyon Ranch soaps & shampoos
  • Bath salts & manicure kit
  • Priority disembarkation and tender service (Q1 - Q4 only)
  • In-room DVD Player (Q1 - Q4 only)

Since only the last two items specify Q1-Q4, I assumed that other items were included in all Q accomodations. And since the packing/unpacking is specified, I assumed my bags would arrive in my room before me, and envisioned a butler unpacking before I could tell him no thank you. Is there anything else on this list that is incorrect?

I am relieved that I won't have butler service... it's not my style anyway. I would probably tell him to take the week off! Anyway, thanks for your help!

We also are in Queens Grill (QM2) for the first time on an upcoming cruise (Q6). I also thought butlers shared all the Grille cabins and besides the packing/unpacking did such things as bringing the evening canapes and drinksif you order them. Am I wrong, is this done by room service? Could others who have had Grille cabins comment on the confussion?

Since only the last two items specify Q1-Q4, I assumed that other items were included in all Q accommodations.

Which ship are we talking about? The QE2 only has butler service in Q1 and Q2, I don't have any personal experience of the QM2, but that list you quoted referred to her.

We were in a Q5 cabin on the QM2 last April. We did indeed have a butler who found us within minutes of our arrival up on our deck. He spent some time with us going over his usual duties and how he might best serve us. Things like--what newspaper we liked, at what time we would like the canapes served, pillow preference, etc. We opted to unpack ourselves but our butler made sure we had all of the approrpiate hangars and he stowed our empty suitcases for us.

Our Butler was terrific--always helpful and accomodating. As our needs changed during the trip--so did his service.

Enjoy the experience!

I concur with Vic's advise.

Please note that Butler service is only offered to Queen's Grill categories Q1 and Q2.

we are booked on the dec 9 2006 and i also thought we had a butler( not sure what we would do with the butler) soooo!! i just spoke with customer relation services in valencia california and they just 2 minutes ago confirmed that indeed we will have a butler assigned to our Q-6 cabin!!! (still not sure we need a butler but it sound good)

Sorry I forgot to mention in my original post that we are sailing on QM2. So now I'm assuming that we WILL have a butler after all. Hope I didn't confuse anyone. I'm glad to know that the butler will wait for us to arrive before attempting to unpack our bags.

We are on a countdown now... only 17 more days!!!! I can't wait. My daughter and her husband are cruising this week, on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. After they embarked she called from the ship to tell us that QM2 was docked next to them in the port. She promised to take pictures. I'd called ahead to Royal Carib to have the kids' room decorated. She said it is definately decorated and definately tacky!!

Just came back from our TA as I was totally confused about this butler thing. I wasn't sure if we upgraders from the lower depths really knew what was happening here. This is the latest poop (deck?). We are in Q5 on the QM2. We do, indeed get a butler. His tipping is supposedly included in the general tip thing that's added to our bill. It's more in Queen's grill just to accomodate him. They are not as generous with butlers on the QE2. That is limited to a few of the upper, upper Queen's grill catagories. We also get a stocked bar with two bottles of wine and/or spirits. Those will not be replenished free of charge (if you want more, then you pay for more) Soft drinks are replenished throughout the cruise. I don't know what happens if you want beer instead. On this cruise, I'm not drinking beer, although on a hot day, a beer might taste pretty good! I haven't deceided if I want the "BUTLER" (OOO, THAT SOUNDS SO FUNNY!) to unpack me. I hate packing up to go home so maybe I'll let him do that part. If so, I hope he's crafty. I can never get it all back in as well on the going home part! haha!

Not so fast, buster.......( truley kidding, not ment to be snotty!). Since I never had one, doesn't mean I wouldn't like it. After all, Mom fed me all those asparagus and brussels sprouts........I wouldn't eat them either, but wound up loving them!

I will happily give a BUTLER a chance!!

The butler seems to cause much anguish. Methinks he should be assigned to the true elevated classes only.

Of course the proper way to treat a butler is to pretend he's not there. Don't ask for a cup of tea, just say "I'll have tea now" to your companion and he'll take that as his instruction.:D Never address a casual remark to him or put him in the position where he must address you - it would be so outside his sphere of operations he wouldn't know what to do.:D Worst of all don't be pleasant to him, it would only make him feel uncomfortable and that discomfort would be your fault.:D

Of course the proper way to treat a butler is to pretend he's not there. Don't ask for a cup of tea, just say "I'll have tea now" to your companion and he'll take that as his instruction.:D Never address a casual remark to him or put him in the position where he must address you - it would be so outside his sphere of operations he wouldn't know what to do.:D Worst of all don't be pleasant to him, it would only make him feel uncomfortable and that discomfort would be your fault.:D

Whew!!

Good thing for the little smiley faces! ;)

As one who was "in service" as a butler for seven years... I almost took offence! :eek:

I and my brother butlers, we could give as well as we got...

And of course, Malcolm, with that Baronial Manse of yours, and your long lineage, you would surely know!

Karie,

who hails (in part, left leg, I'm not sure) from the Hardwicks of England On my maternal grandmother's side (No idea who the Hardwicks were. For all I know they were a troupe of thugs and thieves. But it sounds good! Now which one married the Injun over here....)

As it happens Hardwick Hall is near where my parents live. The Hall is now owned by the National trust. See http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-hardwickhall/

Built for 'Bess of Hardwick', Elizabethan England's second most powerful and wealthy woman

Damn! Why couldn't those genes (and wealth) have been passed down. Instead, by the time they got to me, my Granny was a Tennessee Hillbilly! Oh well!. There goes my shot at a Baronial Manse. I would have taken good care of it! Honest!

Karie,

who has to <shudder> WORK for a living... like the <ugh> COMMON people! <G>

Karie - think about why the National Trust own it.

I know, I know, I know!

Great, great,great, great, great, great, great gramps spent my inheritance all on Fancy Women, Strong Drink and Cards!

Karie, who doesn't drink (much <G>), surely has no use for Fancy Women! and was never any good at cards, so doesn't try.

"Dear Butler, Thanks anyway, but please don't unpack my suitcase." ???

?

This would never bother any of the servant using classes in the past or, even present day. If you are used to having your toothbrush primed, your chamber pot emptied and your urine sample bottle held in position for you, you would certainly not be bothered about having you smalls handled by a servant.

David.

Archived