Experienced cruisers, please advise re: Maasdam

birders

I'm looking for input from cruisers with experience on recent Maasdam sailings (since the SOE Upgrades) - who also have sailed on Celebrity or, perhaps, the Radiance-Class ships of RCCL, but especially Celebrity.

There is a SCATHING review of a November 06 Maasdam sailing, just posted in the "Reviews" section here and on other cruising websites, along with some other reviews that aren't awful but still mention just average food, the Pinnacle Grill NOT good, etc.

Here's our situation: 3 HAL cruises in 1998-2001 (Ryndam and Volendam) before we tried Celebrity. Since then, we've been very happy on 10 Celebrity cruises and a RCCL Jewel of the Seas sailing. We're booked on the Maasdam Sept 07 because of its itinerary - a one-way between Montreal and Boston (will visit family in Montreal first and then take a taxi home from the pier in Boston!). It is a substantially pricier per diem than Celebrity Constellation Canada/New England but we really wanted the one-way trip.

SO: What do you think? Will we be disappointed? (I wouldn't be asking if it was the new Noordam; during pre-inaugural events in Boston last winter, we toured and dined with top management, who encouraged us to try HAL again.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

We're from the Boston area and can tell you we don't miss a summer that we don't book at least one set of b-to-b's on Maasdam. We love that ship and can never get enough of her and most especially of her crew. One of the very best on the seas. I don't care what ship/what cruise line you wish to compare, you would be hard pressed to find a better crew than Maasdam's. We love all of the HAL crews....and we especially love Maasdam's.

We sailed last August for two weeks and found the SOE upgrades to be wonderful. The Explorations Cafe is fabulous and I've not heard of anyone who wasn't impressed with it. Maadam's Pinnacle is one of the best we've enjoyed. The bedding is heavenly and the flat screen tv's great. The improvements in the gym were much appreciated by us....especially the addition of individual tv's attached to each treadmill. The views from the gym are incredible.

Maasdam's dining room is beautiful and we had one of the best stewards ever on those cruises. (Nixon). We are booked for four cruises next summer on Maasdam. A set of b-to-b's in June and then again in August. I guess that says it all. As you say, the per diems for Canada/New England Itineraries are not inexpensive (especially for "S" suites) so we would not be returning time and again if we had any disappointments at all with that ship. I've lost track but think we've sailed Maasdam at least 15 cruises.....maybe more.

She really is very beautiful, very comfortable, elegant.......She isn't brand, sparkling new but she is lovingly cared for and we think in fine condition.

The one thing that disappointed me about Maasdam's SOE are the changes they made to Crows Nest. I loved Crows Nest prior to the changes and don't necessarily think they're a big improvement.

We have not sailed any cruise line other than HAL for at least 3-4 years so can't speak about comparisons to "X".

We also were aboard Noordam in Boston (and New York) during her Inaugural and agree she is magnificent. We are looking forward to boarding her for 11 glorious days in January....lest you get the impression it is ONLY Maasdam for us. :) )

I don’t think I’m considered an 'experienced' cruiser and I haven’t been on the Maasdam since well before the SOE upgrades but seeing as you haven’t been inundated with responses yet, I’ll throw in my two cents.

The Maasdam is the smallest ship we’ve cruised on (I think). It’s definitely not as grand or flashy as some of HAL’s newer fleet but it was by far the best food/service/entertainment we’ve ever had and it has been our most memorable vacation thus far.

We haven’t tried Celebrity yet (but we’d like to) so unfortunately I can’t offer a comparison for you.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

:o We've sailed on the Maasdam several times in the last 3 years. She is our favorite (sailed on about 25 different ships) The service, food and ambiance can't be beat. However all our cruises had been in the winter to the islands from Norfolk. We recently booked a 30 day Hawaii and Sothh Pacific cruise on the Ryndam in Jan, and are hopeing that she is as great seeing as she is a sister ship of the Maasdam.

can't give enough stars to the officers and crew of the Maasdam:)

although she isn't a "10" from a mechanical standpoint, Maasdam overcomes that with a flair and ambience all her own .. she is elegant and as importantly, very comfortable without being "stuffy"

the SOE upgrade improved Maasdam in several respects .. most especially IMO the culinary arts center and completely new library/computer/speciality coffee bar

more importantly, the crew of the Maasdam is IMO exceptional

have sailed Maasdam more than several times including Canada/New England

if you have a chance to sail her, book .. IMHO, you will come away from Maasdam with a special feeling that will draw you back time and again

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I was thinking a little of the same thing but not too much:) We are actually booked on the the Boston to Boston cruise in Aug.. I have always wanted to do this cruise and this will be the only time that we can do it because of our son's school schedule. It looks as though this cruise is quickly filling already!! Thanks for all of your views, they are a great help.

Also, sail7seas, I am really looking forward to your review after your Jan. cruise!!:D Thanks to all!

Linda

Archived