CODE RED Oosterdam

Dmgernant

We have been code red since cabo. I must say this really takes the fun out of cruising. You start to look at everybody as the enemy " look he touched his check and then the wall" Stay away from there..... We are traveling with our 2 year old and I haven't let her out of her stroller in over 24 hours out of our room.

Denise:(

We have been code red since cabo. I must say this really takes the fun out of cruising. You start to look at everybody as the enemy " look he touched his check and then the wall" Stay away from there..... We are traveling with our 2 year old and I haven't let her out of her stroller in over 24 hours out of our room.

Denise:(

Sorry to hear that, Denise but better a little less fun than a whole bunch of problems!

Not another one......tis the season, I guess.

While it certainly seems like bad news, vacationing under a "code red" is certainly better than being sick. As I said earlier today, on a similar post, from another HAL ship, we need to thank our lucky stars that HAL takes the Norvo Virus seriously. Else the outbreak would most certainly impact a lot more passengers.

It make me wonder if they have onboard Norvo trauma counseling for the crew. I imagine this gets very old for them. And if they get sick..........who is going to cook/clean/barkeep/entertain for us?

Please someone explain "code red".

When there's a possibility of a norovirus (gastrointestinal illness) outbreak onboard, the crew will escalate the onboard sanitation routine in order to curb the spread of the virus. This is known as "code red". According to the CDC, the definition of "outbreak" is when 3 % of passengers and crew "report symptoms of gastrointestinal illness to the ship's medical staff during the voyage." The situation on the Oosterdam hasn't reached that status, and so the crew is doing all they can to minimize infection. This includes not putting salt/pepper shakers on the tables, all food items must be served by gloved crew members in the Lido, closing down the hot tubs, passengers can't handle books or DVDs in the library, etc. The name "code red" sounds more ominous than it is. If the number of norovirus cases goes down, or no new cases are reported, then the "code red" is lifted. It may take a day or two, it may take several days. Sometimes the code red is lifted, only to return later. It varies.

When there's a possibility of a norovirus (gastrointestinal illness) outbreak onboard, the crew will escalate the onboard sanitation routine in order to curb the spread of the virus. This is known as "code red". According to the CDC, the definition of "outbreak" is when 3 % of passengers and crew "report symptoms of gastrointestinal illness to the ship's medical staff during the voyage." The situation on the Oosterdam hasn't reached that status, and so the crew is doing all they can to minimize infection. This includes not putting salt/pepper shakers on the tables, all food items must be served by gloved crew members in the Lido, closing down the hot tubs, passengers can't handle books or DVDs in the library, etc. The name "code red" sounds more ominous than it is. If the number of norovirus cases goes down, or no new cases are reported, then the "code red" is lifted. It may take a day or two, it may take several days. Sometimes the code red is lifted, only to return later. It varies.

Thanks for the explanation. Been fortunate never to have been on a cruise with this problem (knock on wood). Just some passengers sick from rough seas.

I don't think your question, jlynnek, about the closing of the thermal pool was stupid. In fact, I'd REALLY like to know the answer about that, as i was really looking forward to trying it out this upcoming cruise.

We're sailing with one azipod and code red! GADS!

DMG

relax and enjoy your cruise:)

not everyone is out to get you .. just most:eek:

only kidding:D

be extra careful about washing your hands and be especially careful in Lido and in public places

if you see someone serve himself/herself when it is crew mandated service, take a sharp right and avoid the selection; don't be embarrassed to use a hand towel to open and close a door or move your chair at the pool

attention to detail can save you a tremendous amount of grief

on the other hand, there's nothing to guaranty you'll avoid the problem

you can, however, really lower the odds by continually washing and watching the "little traps"

your fellow pax are not your enemy .. just be careful

let us know how things are on board as the cruise progresses

hope you have a great vacation:)

There is a product out called Airborne that a teacher invented that boosts your immune system. We are going to take it before we leave on saturday to make sure we have less of a chance of getting the virus.

We've never taken it, but I'm wondering how far in advance of a cruise do you start taking it. Does it take some time to become effective? We may try it, just in case.

We've never taken it, but I'm wondering how far in advance of a cruise do you start taking it. Does it take some time to become effective? We may try it, just in case.

I'm not sure, but we started taking it last week in advance of our 12/3 cruise. My place of employment seems to be a breeding ground of ailments during this time of year and I didn't want to come down with something right before we left, if I could prevent it. Fingers crossed!

It was already going around on the Oosterdam last week when we were on the ship. My dad was sick for two days (didn't report it but he stayed in the cabin anyway) and another member of our party was sick, reported it to the medical center, got the gatorade and was quarantined in his cabin for 48 hours. They ate at the same table for dinner and had obviously gotten it a the same time.

I would say at least 3 or 4 days before you go. My poor DH is now getting a cold, so he's taking it for that as well. I've missed cruise time because of seasickness and taking precautions for that and now have to worry about this!!

I would say at least 3 or 4 days before you go. My poor DH is now getting a cold, so he's taking it for that as well. I've missed cruise time because of seasickness and taking precautions for that and now have to worry about this!!

My DH was starting to show symptoms of a cold last week when we started taking this. Maybe it's a coincidence (which I don't believe in ;) ) but his cold didn't materialize

Archived