CODE RED Oosterdam

Dmgernant

Sorry to hear that you are in Code Red.

We were in Code Red for nearly all 15 days of Our Hawaiian cruise this past Mar/Apr and 7 out of 14 days in June on the Statendam in Alaska.

Are you saying that the Statendam has had this problem off and on for at least six months now? That is very interesting and fits in with my husbands theory also. I dare not repeat that on here, fear of being attacked once more.

We've never taken it, but I'm wondering how far in advance of a cruise do you start taking it. Does it take some time to become effective? We may try it, just in case.

I know it really helps (us at least) for cold/and the *cough cough* kind of flu, but i do not think it would help for a stomach virus.

Althoguh i could totally be wrong. I hope i am, but i always thoguhut it was for the cold.

Airborne: I absolutely swear by the stuff whenever I fly or cruise. The one time I forgot to take it for a cruise is the time I got sick...

Code Red: On my Amsterdam Alaska cruise a couple years ago, we were under Code Red - IMHO, the service is better under Code Red as the staff and crew are out in force to wait on you hand and foot. I prefer to have bread and butter served at dinner and drinks/food served to me in the Lido - it's really not a big deal. Of course, no public jacuzzi's is a downside, but there are plenty of other things to do aboard too...

I work for a large hospital. I'm not a medical professional. I speak with a lot of nurses and doctor's offices frequently every day. In our area at this time, we have strep throat, some sort of viral thing and a lot of sinus infections going around. I've had my flu shot, wash my hands more than frequently, drink lots of vitamin C and use a paper towel when opening any door. I'm sitting here with a sore throat, slight fever and my sinuses are plugged up. What really makes me mad is I'm not even on a cruise ship! I just go to work!

Diane

Got my tube of Airborne in front of me and it says: "Take at the FIRST sign of a cold symptom or before entring crowded environments." Nothing about GI type of viruses.

Airborn is recommended for colds and not for gastrointestinal types of flu or viruses. Gastrointestinal viruses are better treated with anti-virals such as Tami-flu, Relenza, and amatidine all available with a prescription. Cipro is usually prescribed when traveling to 3rd world countries as a precautionary measure. I would get a prescription to take with you just in case.

I know I'm being picky, but I don't want to wait too long before our cruise and then find I took it too late to ward off getting a cold. Would you start the day before the cruise, before that, or when you got on the ship?

We start taking Zycam/Airborne?ColdEze one week before we depart our home.

That is just our experience! *knocks on wood* it has worked for us. :)

During my 5 weeks on board the Statendam Sep/Oct this year I got to know a female member of the crew, I was really looking forward to picking her up from the ship last Friday when they were here but she was unable to keep our date. The ship was late boarding the new passengers and the crew were given extra cleaning duties. Must be jolly hard on them as I understand this has been a bit of a constant problem for this ship for several months now. We are now hoping we can keep a rendezvous next time she is in port, I know from an email received from her she was very disappointed. Reading the threads on here all I seem to hear is me, me, me, maybe some thought should be given to others who are less fortunate than ourselves!

Archived