Semi- Formal Nights

roverix

It's been 2 years since we have been on a Hal ship. We are on the 7 day Zuiderdam New Years cruise. I am assuming that there are 2 formal nights and are there still 2 semi-formal nights or has it changed to 5 casual nights.

Traveling with 2 teenagers so I'm hoping for the 5 casual nights.

Without causing a huge controversary is a jean skirt ok in the dining room on casual nights.

If there are still semi-formal nights do most men wear jackets or would nice pants and a shirt be ok.

Thanks in advance.

On all the 7 day cruises that we have done, there has been 2 formal nights, 1 informal night and 4 casual nights.

On informal nights, DH wears either a suit or slacks and a jacket -- tie is optional. I wear a dress or 3/4 length skirt and a fancy top.

Jeans of any type -- bad subject for me -- we don't own any and if we did, would never take them on a cruise. JMO

Just sailed on the Westerdam (Nov. 12th - 19th) and there were 2 formal nights and the rest were casual. But since this is a holiday cruise it may have different dress code requirements.

I was totally stressed about the dress code on HAL. I shouldn't have even worried about it since a lot of the passengers on board didn't even seem to make an effort. We saw a "variety" of dress on both casual and formal nights that I would have considered not appropriate attire in my opinion.

Jodi

Just sailed on the Westerdam (Nov. 12th - 19th) and there were 2 formal nights and the rest were casual. But since this is a holiday cruise it may have different dress code requirements.

Jodi

We were on this sailing and on the week before, which also had 2 formal and 5 casual nights.

I recently returned from the 14 day Ryndam cruise which ended the day after Thanksgiving. I was surprised at how dressed up many of the women on this cruise were. On casual nights I saw lots of women in the dining room wearing dresses that I would have thought were for "informal" night and on informal nights dressed in more formal attire. (Although we had one less informal night than our docs stated and therefore one more casual night.) There were however lots of people dressed casually on casual nights so if you choose to go that way you would be fine. But you might find yourself on the lower end of the "scale" depending on the itinerary and length of the cruise. That said there were quite a few people roaming around the public areas on formal nights in shorts and t-shirts.:eek:

Not all retirees like the "old ways". Very happy to be in smart casual attire.

Long sleeve shirts on men seem to be in the majority lately on informal nights...Dark suits seem to outnumber tuxedos by a large margin on formal nights. Princess doesn't even do informal any more, just formal and casual.

I am not a jean wearer, but a jean skirt is fine for a casual night. On the longer excursion oriented cruises in Euope, many people don't even change for the evening.

Archived