TUX or no?

FondofKoi

You would be fine in a dark suit. However, I like to wear formal gowns on the cruise and my husband rents a tux online--makes for a great picture, and two less outfits for him to pack. It is great to have the tux delivered to the room, and then returned after last formal night with no dry cleaning bill involved. If in doubt, check with your wife--she may have a preference, and you may find a "fringe benefit" if you accomodate her! Of course my husband gets "fringe benefits" just for taking me on a cruise, period!!

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Yes, because RCI has dumbed down the word formal. Formal is a word that only became necessary to redefine because a bunch of people thought it meant meant a shirt with sleeves.

Words mean things. In todays world the spoiled children of the 60s (I am one too) have to rebel against everything and have reduced everything to the least common denominator. It is sad. :rolleyes:

The OP is certainly not going to be doing anything in violation of the rules by showing up in a suit, but he is not going to be formally dressed. I still think peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Being a rebel without a cause is still a stupid thing.

jc[/quote]It's their ship and their dress code, they get to define formal any way they choose. Dressing according to the express desires of your host is not rebeling against anything.

We'll be doing a family cruise next October (10/13 on the Liberty of the Seas), parents, siblings, respective spouses, cousins, in-laws, Et.Cet. Now, if you ask our folks, they'd say "yes" to the tux in an unequivocal way. If you talk to my wife and me, however, we would say "Give up your formal dining room table on your first day on-board, and go only to the Windjammer...and if you DO want something nicer, go to the Portofino's with a pair of Dockers, a button down shirt, and a sport jacket.

For us, we follow the K.I.S.S. Rule ... Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Michael

[quote name='MikeNJ1109']We'll be doing a family cruise next October (10/13 on the Liberty of the Seas), parents, siblings, respective spouses, cousins, in-laws, Et.Cet. Now, if you ask our folks, they'd say "yes" to the tux in an unequivocal way. If you talk to my wife and me, however, we would say "Give up your formal dining room table on your first day on-board, and go only to the Windjammer...and if you DO want something nicer, go to the Portofino's with a pair of Dockers, a button down shirt, and a sport jacket.

For us, we follow the K.I.S.S. Rule ... Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Michael[/quote]

I can respect that for sure!

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Yes, because RCI has dumbed down the word formal. Formal is a word that only became necessary to redefine because a bunch of people thought it meant meant a shirt with sleeves.

Words mean things. In todays world the spoiled children of the 60s (I am one too) have to rebel against everything and have reduced everything to the least common denominator. It is sad. :rolleyes:

The OP is certainly not going to be doing anything in violation of the rules by showing up in a suit, but he is not going to be formally dressed. I still think peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Being a rebel without a cause is still a stupid thing.

jc[/QUOTE]

The definition of formal has changed over the years and rci just adjusted accordingly.

[quote name='MGoBlue2']The actual rich folks are cruising on Silversea, etc. not Royal Caribbean.[/QUOTE]

What makes you so sure? I for one prefer RCL over Silversea. Much more fun and I dont want ships staff waiting on me hand and foot. Also, the age of the silversea cruises is very high.

P.S. Im not poor....get it?

[quote name='daddymac']so what I am understanding is that board shorts, birkenstocks, and a tank top is cool for formal night, correct?[/quote]

If it is what you want to wear, then go for it. I love seing people get all flustered over what someone else is wearing. I can't believe how some people try to force their beliefs and desires on other people. What someone else wears will never bother me.

RCCL's own site says [B]SUGGESTED ATTIRE [/B]is a suit or tuxedo. It also doesn't specify that the suit has to be a dark suit. Suggested does not equal mandatory; though some on this board would disagree.

FWIW, We were back from a 6 night in October on Radiance and really felt overdressed in the tux and gowns since the formal dress while on board was less than formal. Perhaps because it was a 6 nighter, perhaps because most of the FULL ship was first time cruisers, or perhaps because formal dress means less and less and less over time on this line.

Either way, with regard to any RCCL ship, a dark suit is the minimum that should be worn by a man when the attire is described as suggested formal.

[quote name='FinelyCruising']FWIW, We were back from a 6 night in October on Radiance and really felt overdressed in the tux and gowns since the formal dress while on board was less than formal. Perhaps because it was a 6 nighter, perhaps because most of the FULL ship was first time cruisers, or perhaps because formal dress means less and less and less over time on this line.

Either way, with regard to any RCCL ship, a dark suit is the minimum that should be worn by a man when the attire is described as suggested formal.[/quote]

Where in the [B]SUGGESTED[/B] attire does it say [B]DARK[/B] suit? I see it just says suit and tie or tuxedo. No color mentioned anywhere. :p

[quote name='MGoBlue2']It's their ship and their dress code, they get to define formal any way they choose. Dressing according to the express desires of your host is not rebeling against anything.[/quote]

Of course, you are right. That's why they call it Formal night and not dress like Royal Caribbean dress-up night.:rolleyes:

You know, I am right why are you fighting me on this? Normally, you are on the right side of issues. See, your standards are slipping. Proof of a societal decline, right here in your own words. :D ;)

I agree a suit is fine, but it will never be considered formal.

jc

[quote name='FinelyCruising']OK kiddo...wear a powder blue suit since that is also the color a tuxedo was at one time if you think that powder blue is a formal color and chose to wear one. At least you'll have a suit on. :p[/quote]

I wore a brown and gold (yellow)one to my high school Prom. Matched the school colors, 1977, I am glad I made it to adulthood. I even bought Gold (yellow) Florscheims in patent leather. Oooh, aren't you jealous!:D :D

Hey no email, I just checked!!!!

jc

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Of course, you are right. That's why they call it Formal night and not dress like Royal Caribbean dress-up night.:rolleyes:

You know, I am right [B]why are you fighting me on this?[/B] Normally, you are on the right side of issues. See, your standards are slipping. Proof of a societal decline, right here in your own words. :D ;)

I agree a suit is fine, but it will never be considered formal.

jc[/quote]Because I believe good manners dictate that guests defer to the wishes of the host. The host's expressed desire is suit and tie or tuxedo. It is not my place to tell them what they may call formal.

Just back from th FOS and usually always wear a Tux, however when we sail in Jan on the Jewel we have both agreed that I will not take my Tux. We have had the photos and feel that RCCL pax are a bit more liberal and tend not to dress up as much as compared to Celebrity.
Now there is a Talking point!!

[quote name='QM2 Cruiser']As you can get away with a suit, I highly recommend a tuxedo. It is part of cruising to dress to the nines and remember ocean going tradition. There will be people without tuxedos, and it is your vacation, but wouldn't you rather appear a member of the privileged upper class? [/quote]

ROFLMAO :D That is the most idiotic remark yet. Class has nothing todo with clothes.

[quote name='swigso']Just back from th FOS and usually always wear a Tux, however when we sail in Jan on the Jewel we have both agreed that I will not take my Tux. We have had the photos and feel that RCCL pax are a bit more liberal and tend not to dress up as much as compared to Celebrity.
Now there is a Talking point!![/quote]

RCI definitely has relaxed their dress code to the point of not having one at all. It is one of the reasons I no longer cruise with them.

[quote name='MGoBlue2']It's always been "suggested" attire.[/quote]

I have cruising RCI since 1978 and it is only within the last 6-8 years, since they have become so family focused, that dress codes are out the window. They used to be well enforced.

I was aboard a few months ago and the wording was that "shorts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner". That is not a suggestion. And it was completely ignored.

[quote name='QM2 Cruiser']As you can get away with a suit, I highly recommend a tuxedo. It is part of cruising to dress to the nines and remember ocean going tradition. There will be people without tuxedos, and it is your vacation, but wouldn't you rather appear a member of the privileged upper class? (Put it this way, it is more considerate to wear a tuxedo for the sake of those who find this type of dress necessary?) Do as you wish.[/quote]

" Wouldn't you rather APPEAR a member of the privileged upper class?" Is this what you do on the QM2 when you are staying in an interior cabin in a D8 class and you want people to think you are really staying in a Q1 cabin? Please tell me this post was just a joke! The Titantic is still on the bottom of the ocean isn't it? Clothes do not make the man or the woman which is obvious by that sentence. It had to be a joke. I just checked out the Cunard board. Formal on the QM2 is a tux ( alternatively a suit ) and after reading a thread on attire it seems there's alot of people wearing suits and there's even jeans worn on the ship! New changes with the new owner Carnival perhaps?

My husband and I (and our boys!) totally enjoy getting really dressed up! My husband bought a tux 2 years ago when we were married so we will just rent the boys one (even though they both want to own one believe it or not).

I have seen many men in tuxes on ships before. I would say on our honeymoon cruise there were probably 40% of guys in tuxes. They all looked great. The rest were in nice dinner jackets, suits etc. I think its a matter of personal preference. I myself wear scrubs for 50+ hrs a week so I am quite happy to appear in a formal dress because its totally out of the norm for me. (plus it makes me watch what I eat prior to my cruise..lol). The second night we usually go to a dinner jacket for hubby and a short dress for me.

I can't understand the folks that ignore this dress code on these nights. I am not rich. I save all year to get my family on a cruise. I know you can go to a thrift, goodwill, etc store and get some great formal/dressy items as I have seen them myself without spending a fortune. It really disheartens me to see folks even walk in in their shorts/t-shirt for dinner on a non-formal night. Shorts in the dining room do bring you down to a lower level in my opinion. This is what we refer to as NCAA...no class at all. nuff said...

Esmerelda

sorry, I think if it's called a formal night, dress code should be strickly enforced. I'm old school, and only in mid forties, but some tradtions should not be messed with. I feel the same way about going to the theater(not movies) I don't expect men in Tux's but respect for the venue is the bottom line for me. kaki's and a tweed jacket might be better for a dinner at the Red Lobster. Just my opinion. :D

hey aquacruiser- you seem a bit touchy by QM2. some of the wording might be off, but I along with many other would agree with the idea of "FORMAL" and the special experience that a top end cruise offers.

You don't need a tux - a suit will be fine.

My husband bought a very nice suit last year for our wedding. He plans to take this same suit on the cruise.

We rented him a tux on the Explorer last year (he forgot the suit at home) and there were lots of people wearing dark suits and they looked fine.

Personally, I prefer the look of a dark suit over the tux's available for rent onboard.

Archived