Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

We are flying Delta into Rome on Monday morning. Some concern as to how to get into Rome from the airport and from Rome to the port. We will be staying at the Rome Cavalieri Hilton and love the idea of getting together for dinner on Wednesday night. We are considering hiring a driver to take us around on Tuesday or Wednesday if anyone else is interested in sharing. Also want to do the nude beach on Corfu, but does anyone know how to get there? We are staying the night following the cruise at the Hilton near the airport if anyone is doing the same and want to get together post cruise. Oh, my god, we just can't wait!

There are trains that run from the Rome Airport to downtown, as well as from downtown to Civitavecchia. It doesn't go directly to the port and you'd have to get a taxi from there. But RSVP may set up some sort of transfer out of Rome. We'll have to see.

JUst thought I'd bring us back to Page 1 :-) The Caribbean cruisers like RMS Olympic have been so busy over on that thread that this one has been sadly ignored.

By the way, I love that someone is putting together a "year book" of all the regular posters for the Carib cruise. Sounds like a terrific idea for us once we get closer in.

JUst thought I'd bring us back to Page 1 :-) The Caribbean cruisers like RMS Olympic have been so busy over on that thread that this one has been sadly ignored.

By the way, I love that someone is putting together a "year book" of all the regular posters for the Carib cruise. Sounds like a terrific idea for us once we get closer in.

Michael-

Sounds great! :-) Are you volunteering to make the next yearbook? ;-) hehe

We still don't have airfare booked! Any chance there might be an incredible sale coming?!?!

Mike keep an eye on the Alitalia fares. They frequently run specials due to their attempts to deal with some financial troubles that they are facing. Nothing that will put them out of business but you can find deals.

For example i got my roundtrip with them from Geneva to Miami via Milan for 555 dollars for the upcoming Caribbean Cruise. Just keep checking because you never know when all of a sudden you can get a deal.

Christopher

Christopher is going to have such a great time on the Caribbean trip he will book the Rome trip...he just doesn't know it yet. Me I'm so ready for the trip this month I just ordered a T shirt with my post name on it RMS Olympic for boarding day.

As for this cruise.......I am really excited about the three night stay in Rome. I intend to ask RSVP (during the Caribbean Cruise) what possible bus transportation they will have if they have a recommended hotel.

I'm not worried about getting to the pier...worst case hire a car and ask if anyone else wants to share. Still haven't booked my hotel..with do that after the Caribbean trip. I have my air...Continental non stop from Newark to Rome. The reason I chose Continental....Instead of USAIRWAY out of Philly...was the return schedule. Continental has a 2 pm flight which is possible...most other airlines had earlier flights which would have meant another hotel stay. After the cruise I want to get home, not to mention if I have as great a time as I hope...I will be ready and broke and dying to get into my own bed.

Cabin...is on main deck, outside standard cabin. A balcony would be great, but staying in a cabin when I can be out on deck........no way.

Now the question is what is the best way to spend the time in Rome. Only thing definite is dinner at the gay restaurant on Tuesday night. Hope we get a good group together...I am writing to owner concerning RSVP cruisers coming to dinner...should be blast.

Oh, and I hope I can get someone to help with a little shopping for some truly Italian designed shirts.nothing pricey, but something you would never find at home...a great momento of Roma.

Also it is a must to try some Italian pizza...I understand they fold it and eat it like sandwich.

Anyone out there speak Italian to translate when needed?

What about a tour to Pompeii?

Last question....who is in what cabin...at least at this time since many switch closer to sailing time....me D 1086

Tom

Mike keep an eye on the Alitalia fares. They frequently run specials due to their attempts to deal with some financial troubles that they are facing. Nothing that will put them out of business but you can find deals.

For example i got my roundtrip with them from Geneva to Miami via Milan for 555 dollars for the upcoming Caribbean Cruise. Just keep checking because you never know when all of a sudden you can get a deal.

Christopher

Thanks Christopher! Will do! I haven't even checked them out online at all.

So what will it take for us to persuade you to join us on this cruise!?! :-)

*fingers crossed for good airfare to Rome*

Funny someone should mention airfaires with Alitalia. I just received a message that Alitalia is having a sail to Ital ythis summer. Here's the text :

NEW YORK--FEBRUARY 5, 2007-- Alitalia just announced a sale

for summer flights to Italy from New York. We found many

fares at 30% OFF or more. You must book by February 19.

You can fly between May 8-Oct. 27, but we found the biggest

savings from June through August. To find the lowest fares,

stay over a Saturday night and return within a month.

Fares on sale (roundtrip):

- New York-Naples ... $749

- New York-Bologna ... $749

- New York-Pisa ... $749

- New York-Florence ... $749

- New York-Venice ... $749

- New York-Rome ... $769

- New York-Palermo ... $849

- New York-Terme ... $849

Sample fares already include the fuel surcharge. Taxes,

fees and airport charges are additional.

Hope this helps. I will probably check this out also.

Joe

I was just on the AlItalia site yesterday...still $1500 r/t from Miami. SO far, Iberia is the cheapest, but not by much...1200. I'd still rather fly business class, and you can get those for around $2600, but that request falls on deaf ears... my6 partner being the sensible one.

We are planning on flying out Monday after the cruise. Specifially, renting a car at the port upon return, and driving up to a hotel near the airport. We didn't want to rush around like mad, plus, we still have to get back south, were we to fly with continental (Although they are on our list as well).

Our Cabin on the ship is Navigation Deck, I8049.

There are plenty of companies that offer shuttles to Civitavecchia ... you can actually rent a minivan for about 25 euros per person. It's just a matter of finding all the people to fill the thing. We're going to take the train. It costs 5 euros (so I've read), and then it's a ten minute walk (or a cab ride) to the port.

RMS, we're staying at the 66 Imperial Inn...an air-conditioned (critical in August) gay-friendly B&B we found on purpleroofs. DOuble is 100 euros/night including breakfast, 90 euros if we pay cash. singles are cheaper of course. All rooms have pvt bath.

Pompeii: we're doing an excursion there during our stop in Naples. We're curious about the stop in Salerno, as it is not a regular stop for Holland America. we're hoping to drive the Amalfi coast that day.

My partner speaks fluent Italian, having studied there. If you have specific questions abnout Rome, I can ask him...he's been there many times. He's looking forward to the Pizza Bianca...I'm just looking forward...

So what will it take for us to persuade you to join us on this cruise!?! :-)

I guess there are 2 things holding me back at this point....

1. New Swiss Tax Laws.... have to see where my finances stand after filing in March. Due a bonus from work just before Easter but not sure whether that will have to be used to balance the potential tax expected back in the USA or can be used for a cruise.

2. The RSVP product....I want to see how things go on the Caribbean Cruise. I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that I will have a great time and I am not worried about that at all. What does concern me is the administration growing pains that seem to be effecting the company at this oint as demonstrated in the lack of definitive information many of us expect to have with just over 2 weeks to go before sailing. I am willing to spend the money if I am pleased with the product. So you, Tom, and I can sit over a cocktail and discuss this point on board the Caribbean Princess in a few weeks time.

Christopher

Yes, lets discuss...

I was originally booked on the Atlantis Med trip and switched to RSVP because of the issues with Atlantis on the South American trip.

When you think of it......regardless of the company, it comes down to what you want in your holiday...and can I listen to my own words....

1. Do you want a gay environment?

2.is the itinerary what you want?

3. does the idea of going on tours with fellow gay passengers excite more thanon a straight cruise.....more interaction and possible fun?

4. Is the ship being chartered to you taste/

5. Dp the previous 4 reasons warrant the extra cost assocated with a gay charter?

If it all measures up to a yes...the the company and what they do before the cruise and their entertainment does not make or break the trip. I wonder if entertianment is as important on straight cruises for most of us?

From this point forward I think I will ask myself the above questions and if I dont get the right response...book a straight cruise. For now...touring in Europe with fellow gay passengers is the driver for me.....it made the trips in the past. Next year I have one straight upscale cruise planned in the late fall time frame. For the Feb to MArch period...RSVP or Atlantis will depend on the ship...unless either company does a transcanal.....then question # 2 destination becomes the breaker.

So lets discuss......me, I need to just have fun and leave the company operations on RSVP and concentrate on the new and old friends I meet on board.

Have a great day.

I did not mean to oversimplify things in my previous comment. I had typed a longer response but it got gobbled up in a message board time 'fatal error' message...:( So I shortened it the second time around.

I agree that there are multiple factors to consider when choosing products and services. And all these factors that you mention are ones that I consider too. I also am one to weigh the personal experience factor into the equation too. So that is what I meant by my point number 2.

If I look at the Roman Odyssey Cruise with your points in mind, this is where I find things:

1.) I have only experienced an all gay environment vacation one time before. I enjoyed it very much and experienced a level of interaction with other guests at a very different level than I have on other vacations. So yes, the gay environment of this cruise is very appealing to me.

2.) The itinerary is a mixed bag for me. I sailed to many of the ports of call last October on a mainstream cruise aboard the MSC Armonia. So some of the ports of call may not be of great interest but the others are new. And of course when you factor in who you are travelling with this always leads to new adventures. What really appeals to me is the length of the cruise in that it is 10 nights. That would be a new adenture for me.

3) I must admit that I look forward tothe excursions in the Caribbean in order to make a better judgement on this one. Though I did take an excursion on my first gay cruise, I did not necessarily find it better or worse than excursions I had taken on other cruises with friends. I look forward to the Caribbean because it will be combining both...a great excursion with other gay passengers among whom are newly made friends. This may help swing the decision right there. I look forward to finding out?

4) as for the ship being chartered to my taste, I have never sailed HAL before and need to do some research into the company, its ships and the Westerdam specifically. My cruising experience has been on larger class ships for the most part. The MSC Armonia was smaller and I found it to be a very comfortable environment with about 2000 passengers. The ship itself was lacking in many things that I found enjoyable on other cruises, everything from general ambiance in public spaces to activities available during the day. SO I am not at a point yet where I can weigh factor 4 into my decision making process.

5) I honestly do not find the extra fees for a gay charter to be exhorbitant when I factor in the piece of mind that I can be myself and truly relax for the length of the vacation.

So in general I guess the positives for taking the cruise are leaning toward the favorable. Why then is this little demon sitting on my shoulder and keeping me from jumping in feet first? I don't know. I go back to that personal experience bit.

I work in an environment where change is constant and I know there are some that dislike any change at all and are the first to complain. Others thrive on it because they see how it can be advantageous. I have found that generally I evaluate the situation carefully to see where things are going and make my judgements and decisions based upon those observations and experiences.

RSVP has been around for a number of years which bodes well in my book but I keep hearing all around that things are changing and in many peoples opinions not always for the better. My personal experience was that of after having booked this upcoming Caribbean trip, watching with envy as the copious amount of information regarding last October's Cruise grew and grew on the company website. My expectations were high for the same to be happen for the Caribbean cruise. It has not happened in the same way, which is my own personal dissapointment. But I am getting over that because of the unexpected joy of the commraderie that has been building here on the Cruise Critic Boards. Your comment has helped me to realize that RSVP is simply the operator that aids me in making the cruise what I want it to be.

Will I book the Roman Cruise? Likely, but someone's gotta help me shove this blasted demon off my shoulder. I expect he will fall off on his own accord in a few weeks time when I board the Caribbean Princess.

Because Tom I expect you are right when I quote you from a few posts back.

Tom wrote: Christopher is going to have such a great time on the Caribbean trip he will book the Rome trip...he just doesn't know it yet.

So her's to me not knowing yet.

Christopher

OK, so here I am throwing a monkey wrench at everything. Not really, but something to think about...

While I have never been on a Med cruise before, I am expecting it to be quite different than my last two RSVP cruises (Caribbean in 2003, Mexican Riviera in 2004). Both of those cruises had multiple sea days, day time parties, and the like. GIven just how port intensive the Med cruise is, and only 1 sea day, I expect the ship will be rather quiet most days. Of course, that will change in the evening, and I would say that you will probably get a good sense of what RSVP offers in terms of evening entertainment on your upcoming Caribbean cruise.

I also expect, given the pricing and such, that the demographics on the Med cruise may be quite different than what you will find in the Caribbean. An acquaintance of mine in Fort Lauderdale does RSVP Caribbean every year...and never gets off the ship. He loves all the pool games, shows, activities, people, dance classes, etc. And has no interest in ports of call. At all. But he said he'd never do the Med cruise because he likes just being on the ship.

I hope Tom is right, and you decide to take this cruise. Because I think it is going to be wonderful and we are going to meet people we will be friends with for life (I am still friends with a couple I met back in 2003).

Lee's (Schplinky) comments on the Westerdam are on the money, having sailed on two other Vista class ships. It's a smaller ship, but the food is wonderful, the service top-notch, and they do really love having a gay charter (we're nicer and drink LOTS more so they are kept busy). Plus, wait until you see the crew reactions to some of the unbelievable costumes that will appear.

Just my two Euro cents...

BTW...I know you are in Lausanne, but do you also speak German? It would be nice to have someone to practice with :-)

My patrtner and I will be on the RSVP Mediterranean cruise. We were also on the Atlantis Barcelona to Athens crusie and that was great. In April, we go on the Atlantis Hawaii cruise. Some of the ports on our cruise are a must see. Everyone needs to go to Pompeii, if they have not been there. Also, Venice is spectacular - nothing like it anywhere. Looking foreward to meeting you all!

We are from a small town about 100 miles north of New York City.

Vinnie & Bill

My partner Mike and I will be there. This will be our third (pardon the word) straight RSVP cruise on the Westerdam, it is getting to be our vacation home. We didn't sign up immediately after last years' cruise, thinking that maybe we would try something else. But after analyzing alternative vacations, this cruise seemed to be the best choice for us. We initially booked a regular European cruise, opting for the lower cost and earlier departure date. But the after the realization that our cruisemates could be mostly elderly, or the opposite, many children (I've heard that some European cruises are sold to Europeans as "kids sail free" deals), we decided we would be crazy not to continue with what we know is a great time.

I've never been to Europe and I am looking forward to the ports and excursions. Last year, in Costa Rico, a group of us Cruise Critic board participants got together for a great excursion. Hope we can do the same this year.

(Hi Joe -don't forget to let me know how the Atlantis Cruise was in comparison to RSVP)

Well, I trtied posting this once and got a wierd error screen. Just wanted to welcome Vinnie, Bill, and Glen (I'm not the host, I don't even play one on tv). We're goping to have a great cruise!

Michael

Michael

Sorry to say that I do not speak German. But it looks lke you have found some Berliners to practice your language skills.

Flights for me to Rome are the 90 minute length as well. But I get the long journey to Miami in just under 2 weeks for the Caribbean Cruise. Thats via Milan though not Rome. Milan has become more of the international hub for Alitalia than Rome is. But my experiences of transferring planes in Rome has been far less positive than in Milan. Keep an eye on those fares. They change constantly day to day and hour to hour.

Good luck.

Leaning more and more to joining you guys for this one.

Christopher

How about via Newark? I am flying non stop on Continental to Rome. Coming back they depart at 2pm...so I can go straight from the ship to the airport without staying an extra night. I would think Miami to Newark is doable and perhaps a minimal change planes layover....just a thought.

See how you feel on the cruise next week...if you are interested...maybe RSVP will cut you a great deal while on board as they once again have to fill the ship...although I think it will fill pretty well on its own. RSVP is again competing with Atlantis and their 2 back to back cruises in the Med.

Yes, we know about Continental out of Newark...we could fly in from either Lauderdale or Miami. The issue though is still price. Right now, everyone except Iberia is over $1300 from down here. Alternately, we could book JFK-FCO for 860, and then book separately on Delta or whomever to JFK for less than 200. But then we have to deal with recheking in at JFK and such. I check the fares almost every day at this point.

We're planning on staying that extra night. We're going to rent a car at the port and drive up to a hotel near the airport, and fly back Monday. If we were to take the 2 pm flight, we would probably have to stay overnight, or get back here after midnight or something. Of course, until we actually book the flights, nothing is set in stone :-)

There are four of us, so far, on this cruise. My RSVP Greek Islands cruise in 1999 was one of my best cruises ever. Spent our 5th anniversary in Santorini. Unfortunately, my partner has to work, so he won't be joining us. But, three good friends will, and I am busy working on two more.

Ben T, the four of us are staying at the Rome Airport Hilton the day we disembark. We plan to take the train into Rome that afternoon before we fly out the next day. If you are staying one extra day after the cruise, check out this hotel. Definitely not cheap, but very convenient. You walk from the airport to the hotel and train station. You can still get reduced rates on the Hilton website is you prepay.

I did my first Atlantis cruise last month with four of my RSVP cruise buds. A very fun cruise, but I didn't like all of the drug use. The passengers were friendly, and the entertainment was outstanding. I may book the Liberty of the Seas in 2008. But, I will see what RSVP is doing first. I didn't think I would like the cruise before I left, and here I am talking about booking next year. Sometimes you just have to try something new.

Just listening -- thanks for all the tips and info on who staying/flying where. We haven't begun to do the airport/hotel stuff although I know we need to get started. Flying out of NYC (Newark, maybe?) on August 5 (I hope). Just a little busy with life @ home now,a nd a few small events we're doing.

Hey DenvCruiser -- can I assume you're in Denver (duh)? We'll be there in May for the Annual Gay Square Dance Convention.

Archived