Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

• 1 month later...

Surely there are some others besides me and NYC95 sailing out of Rome on the Westerdam.....

Really excited about seeing Venice.......maybe find someone to take a ride in a Gondola.......wink wink wink.

Heres hoping this will be a cruise to remember!

My partner and I love to cruise! We have never been to Italy (only Paris and London in Europe).

I would love to do this for an early 30th b-day gift for me (8/31).

1. We have never been on a gay cruise (not sure what to expect)

2. We have never been to any of these cities

Please share any thoughts with us! We are on the fence with this and Pied Piper. I think Atlantis might be a bit over the top for us and the airfare was crazy flying into one city and out from another.

Thanks!! :D

I've never done Pied Piper, so I cannot really comment on their product. I have been on two other RSVP cruises, and enjoyed both. I think the itinerary is excellent, and having sailed on two other Holland America ships of the same class, I can tell you they are really wonderful.

A cruise is what you make of it, no matter the product. There are tons of activities to do on an RSVP cruise, and it is up to you whether to participate and to what extent. It is a very port heavy cruise, which I like. There will be lots to see. I personally enjoy being on an all gay charter (well, there are some straight people on these cruises, but with gay friends), and have met very nice people. Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

Thanks Michael! I really do appreciate that!

I have been on the Zuiderdam and the old Westerdam (I personally LOVE HAL). We are looking at a cabin w/ verandah. We honestly don't need a suite or anything much bigger then that. A verandah is always a must have for us though! :D

Question- have you been to any of these ports? What are your thoughts? What is your favorite and least favorite?

I am EXCITED about not having a stop at St. Thomas for once!! haha

Thank again and I think we might be booking this one!

I have never been to any of these ports. The only time I was in Italy was a brief stop in Milan back in 1983 because of a problem with a charter flight. My partner studied in Rome and knows Italy well, although certain ports (Dubrovnik, Valetta, Corfu) are new to him.

To get a sense of what will probably be on offer as far as excursions are concerned, have a look at the HAL website. We are planning to go to Mt. Vesuvius (from Naples), the Amalfi coast (from Sorrento), probably do a walking tour on our own of old Dubrovnik, and definitely tour on our own in Venice.

We booked an inside cabin to keep costs down, and figured we can always go to the Crow's Nest when sailing out of each port if we so choose.

Sorry I can't give you any definitive info on the ports, I'm as much a newbie in the Med as anyone else (other than the Spanish and French Med coasts.

We can't wait!

My post above I meant to say that we booked a verandah stateroom on the aft of the ship! haha

We have never had a balcony on the back before, however, we have heard from other cruisers that they really enjoyed it and they are a great place to enjoy panaromic views from the back.

Might as well give it a shot!

I'm glad to see this thread is picking up some steam. I just my reservation for a 3 day pre-cruise stay at the.Residenza-Antica Roma, hotel in downtown Rome. It's 2 blocks from the Trevi Fountain, 5 minutes from the Spanish Steps and close to The Vatican. The rooms are small but,according to the Tripadvisor reviews,spotless. My travel agent says he's already booked people there that are with our cruise.

I will keep that place in mind. We haven't even started looking into rooms yet. Then again, we haven't booked our flight either. Kinda hoping fares might drop a bit, but we'll see. Add to that the fact that my partner has this project that has been delayed for almost 2 years and may start happening around the time of the cruise, and you can see why we're reluctant to book any of those things as of yet. If we cancel the cruise b4 April, we're only out a small amount. But it looks like we'll have no issues and will be able to go.

THat aft balcony is wonderful...roomier than the side ones. I'm jealous!

I am in a cat D standard outside on the lowest deck...doing a share.

I was going to upgrade to a share with a veranda which sould be an additional $500, but thought that amount would best go to the hotel cost for my three night precruise stay in Rome.

I understand RSVP will be listing their hotel within the next 2 weeks.....so I will consider that...for the transfer to the ship that will probably be coordinated.

If not, its the Residenza-Antica Roma if there is still availability. I would like to be in a hotel with fellow cruisers to hopefully tour Rome with. Sharing the sights is so much more fun.

I am also looking forward to meeting those who will also be on the Caribbean cruise next month. Time to get the party started in the Caribbean and then continue in the Eternal city , Rome.

By the way, I am booked on Continental non stop out of Newark on the 5th of August. Anyone else on that flight?

Happy Friday y'all.

The two of us will be celebrating our 30th anniversary. We had booked a similiar itinerary aboard Renaissance for our 25th, but then 9-11 happened and the line went under.

We have since done two Atlantis cruises aboard NCL, so RSVP will be new to us. But what a great itinerary!

We fly into Rome Monday morning.

(We are the two friends travelling with Nickinkazoo in the above post.)

Jeff and Brad

30 year anniversary! FABULOUS!

we should all raise a glass to the both of you. You have lasted longer than most straight unions/ marriages.

Welcome aboard.

By the way....let me know if you know Randy Klocko and Richard Kidder of Palm Springs. I do not know the Palm Springs community nor how close knit it is. But I met these 2 gents on previous cruises and they were great. I really would like them to join this cruise after their house redo....so if you know them....sew a seed. Tell Richard that Randy owes him a vacation!

All the best to the both of you and welcome aboard...and yes I am a Julie mcCoy wanna be......LOL

Tom

I am the other half from Nickinkazoo, traveling with the girls from palm springs, BradleyJean and JefferyBodin. We also are taking this trip with our friends to celebrate 20th anniversary! Can't wait to go, would like to know what to wear ,(as I travel very light)!!!! Just can't decide on 2 suitcases or three...........Anyways, can't wait

:rolleyes:

And you pack light? OK, maybe it's the martini kicking in...

Wow, 20 and 30 years, that's fantastic. My partner and I celebrate 5 years about a month before the cruise. We found each other "later" in life, But I come from long lived folks and expect to celebrate at LEAST a 40th anniversary.

Well, we still haven't booked hotel, although DH has his heart set on a place (air conditioned and cheap), so I guess we'll do that soon. We would DEFINITELY love to meet up with folks prior to the cruise. We'll be arriving Sunday the 5th, and we will also spend a night near the airport after the cruise.

To whet your interest in precruise meetings and tours, DH lived in Rome, speaks fluent Italian, and has been backat least 10 times. Could one ask for a better tour guide? Oh, and did I mention he's hot? And Cuban? and hot?

Oh my, just what I need...to be in Rome with all thise Italians and a Cuban! Thats what I call heaven on earth!

They say Cubans are high maintenance.......ha, to be a maintenance man LOL.

I hope some of us can do some pre cruise touring of Rome together..or at least meet up for dinner. There is a gay restaurant in Rome....Ristorante Asinocotto...that might be fun to get a gay group in there for dinner.

Now to learn all those important phrases......how much, do you sell it by the inch, where, when and how? And the most important...I'm new in town...LOL

Thank heavens I have the Caribbean trip next month or I would be going crazy.

Why stay at home...lets go to Rome.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, I think a group dinner while we're in,Rome, is a great idea. It will give us an opportunity to mingle before boarding. I've found some reviews on the internet for this restaurant and they all rave about it. I love the fact that the owner/chef,according to one review, proudly displays 2 rainbow flags in the front of his restaurant.

I just hope this place is open when we're in,Rome. I don't know if everybody knows this but in,August, the country basically goes on vacation. It's called,Ferragosto. It's a holiday to celebrate the ascension of the,Virgin Mary, into ,Heaven,and a lot of businesses are closed.

It would be a good idea for peple to check on the tourist attractions they'd like to see so they won't be dissapointed when they get there.

I just clicked on the web site you attached...its brand new...not the one I had looked at.

And guess what....there is a contact/ reservation spot.

Well if you are game , come July I will send an email and announce the fact that his establishment will be visited by his distant American "family".

We can always discuss a specific date, but it might be fun to let hin know their are gay pre cruise Roma bound travelers that are coming to dine!

Might be exciting. If we can get others in Rome early we could have a real festive night!

I for one will dine and support our gay restauranteur.

For those going over early...consider this as a dining option in Roma....

And for those with pre cruise plans , please advise as to your hotel plans, and what flights you are taking. Why find out after you get there you had future friends on the same flight.

Me...departing Newark on Aug 5 non stop Continental. Hotel...to be determined...possibly the Rex.

Ciao

PS...if you will be on the Caribbean cruise coming up next month...lets meet and start talking Rome!

Tom aka Bertha.

Archived