Specialty Restaurants - Formal or Informal??

cruzin4us

We plan on dining in the Specialty Restaurant on a couple of nights. I don't know what nights they fall on. They may fall on casual nights for all I know.

Would it be appropriate for my husband to wear dress pants & a shirt & tie? This would be his preference because he overheats really quick with a jacket.

If the restaurant requires a jacket, then he'll wear a tux and the case will be closed ;) , but he's keeping his fingers crossed for the shirt & tie.

Please don't go on a tangent when answering this question, it's really not meant to be a debate, just clue us in on the restaurants policy....Thanks!

We ate at the Millie's Olympic on a formal night (sea day). Must have dark suit and tie, or tux. On informal nights, don't need a tie in the Main dining room, but I believe you do need a jacket and tie in the Olympic. You should wear a jacket, although I saw several men without. Nevertheless, check the daily schedule (it will always be the same requirements), but that insert has the dress requirements for the specialty restaurant.

BTW, there was an inconsistency for men's informal nights between the cruise docs book and the daily schedule. Daily schedule says tie not needed on informal nights, but docs say yes. Most men shed the tie on informal nights.

Enjoy!!

Cabo

Hi Guys

Let me get this right - are you saying that if its a formal night and you choose to eat in the Speciality Restaurant then you dress for formal, in my case hubby wears his tux and me a ball gown?

Now that would be interesting....

Hi Guys

Let me get this right - are you saying that if its a formal night and you choose to eat in the Speciality Restaurant then you dress for formal, in my case hubby wears his tux and me a ball gown?

Not sure why this seems odd to you - the ambiance in the speciality restaurant suits formal attire very well. You and hubby will both look gorgeous in that setting!

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Well we often eat out in top restaurants in London - but never would dream of dressing in tux and gown.

We do however dress very informally i.e. he wears a nice suit or a pair of tailored trousers with a jacket (especially if its hot) and me a pair of tailored trousers with a nice top. Sort of clothes one would wear on informal evenings on the ship.

I guess I likened the speciality restaurant to one of those London restaurants. It is unlikely that we would eat in the speciality restaurant on a formal night since its nice to be with your tablemates but its an idea. I am not sure though whether I would feel that comfortable in my gown in the speciality restaurant with it being just hubby and I dining alone. I know other tables would be occupied but I would feel strange.

Still its a thought.

Hi Guys

Yup.

Hi Lisa

Well we often eat out in top restaurants in London - but never would dream of dressing in tux and gown.

We do however dress very informally i.e. he wears a nice suit or a pair of tailored trousers with a jacket (especially if its hot) and me a pair of tailored trousers with a nice top. Sort of clothes one would wear on informal evenings on the ship.

I guess I likened the speciality restaurant to one of those London restaurants. It is unlikely that we would eat in the speciality restaurant on a formal night since its nice to be with your tablemates but its an idea. I am not sure though whether I would feel that comfortable in my gown in the speciality restaurant with it being just hubby and I dining alone. I know other tables would be occupied but I would feel strange.

Still its a thought.

Hi Josie,

Are you on Summit in February for the Panama canal cruise? The speciality restaurant is the Normandie, with panels taken from the original Normandie. It has a very elegant, retro look that would be too old-fashioned for top London restaurants today. I don't mean to say it's frou-frou or OTT, but it's definitely not minimalist or modern. You could easily picture a formally-dressed couple from the 30s eating in there.

However, you will also be very appropriately dressed in the informal clothes you describe. I hope you have a great time there - it's a nice change of pace from the regular dining room.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Yes we are on the 17th Feb sailing from Miami on the Summit. I'm getting very excited now although its still a long way to go. Christmas will be here and gone before we know it and then just as February depression starts to kick in we will be packing for our holiday.

I recently bought a new frock - I posted a couple of threads on here as I was having second thoughts about it. Its very formal, burgundy full length gown with a whaleboned lace up corset type top and a type A line skirt which is very floaty and chiffony. Its staying in the shop until end Jan since a few small alterations will need to be done.

It was one of those moments for me when as soon as I put the dress on I knew it was "me". I was going to go with my original black satin long skirt with my white wedding basque (plus a couple of other matching basques I had) for the formal evenings and it was only my neice who was looking for a dress for her boyfriend's xmas party that we went into this particular shop. I have previous hired ball gowns from her for our 'dos' in London and thought the shop would be ideal for my neice. I was only having a play around with some dresses in the shop whilst she was trying on her outfit but I just fell in love with this particular dress and the rest they say is history.

We will see about the Normandie though. Maybe for the third formal night I can wear my dress again and eat in that restaurant? I do love the dress and any excuse to wear it twice would be great. I would not really wear the same dress to the main restaurant since my tablemates will have seen it.

Have you then seen other people wear their formal gowns to the speciality restaurants?

You have certainly got me thinking Lisa.

Hi Lisa

Yes we are on the 17th Feb sailing from Miami on the Summit. I'm getting very excited now although its still a long way to go. Christmas will be here and gone before we know it and then just as February depression starts to kick in we will be packing for our holiday.

I recently bought a new frock - I posted a couple of threads on here as I was having second thoughts about it. Its very formal, burgundy full length gown with a whaleboned lace up corset type top and a type A line skirt which is very floaty and chiffony. Its staying in the shop until end Jan since a few small alterations will need to be done.

It was one of those moments for me when as soon as I put the dress on I knew it was "me". I was going to go with my original black satin long skirt with my white wedding basque (plus a couple of other matching basques I had) for the formal evenings and it was only my neice who was looking for a dress for her boyfriend's xmas party that we went into this particular shop. I have previous hired ball gowns from her for our 'dos' in London and thought the shop would be ideal for my neice. I was only having a play around with some dresses in the shop whilst she was trying on her outfit but I just fell in love with this particular dress and the rest they say is history.

We will see about the Normandie though. Maybe for the third formal night I can wear my dress again and eat in that restaurant? I do love the dress and any excuse to wear it twice would be great. I would not really wear the same dress to the main restaurant since my tablemates will have seen it.

Have you then seen other people wear their formal gowns to the speciality restaurants?

You have certainly got me thinking Lisa.

Your gown sounds beautiful, and I think it deserves a second night out! If you go down to the Normandie on the first day, you can look around and make an informed decision, and book accordingly. I definitely remember a few years ago, seeing the social hostess having dinner in the Normandie in a very striking black-and-white ball gown. It stuck in my memory because it was an unusual dress, not because it looked out of place!:)

Lisa

Jarronwood,

Hi Guys

Yes. Celebrity's "specialty" restaurants are more upscale than the main dining room, with synchronized service and very fancy cuisine. That's why they charge $30 per person above dinner in the main dining room, which is included in your cruise fare. Their dress standard is never lower than that of the ship, but they require "informal" attire on the ship's "casual" evenings.

Norm.

Hi Guys

On our last Celebrity cruise we went to the Specialty Restaurant twice. The first night was casual so we wore informal clothes as that is what is required. The second night we dined there was a formal night. Most people don't dine there on the formal nights so there were only about three other couples there. I dined in a tuxedo and my wife was in a formal dress. The dining room is a lot more formal than the regular dining room, the food and the service is outstanding, so we felt very comfortable dining there in our formal attire. Of course, I could have worn a nice suit as well which is consistent to wearing a suit to a fine restaurant at home.

Both nights were great.

Keith

I am very tempted then to book our last formal night in the Normandie and wear my new dress again.

I wonder how hubby will feel it just being the two of us all dressed up????? We love eating out having eaten in some of the top London Restaurants (not the ones that the usual Celebs frequent, i.e. The Ivy, yuck yuck yuck) but other ones especially in Knighsbridge and one in particular is called Totos in Walton Street.

I know he will love the Normandie - it seems there is much more of a personal service and we love that but I just have to convince him about the formal night.

Thanks guys!!

Jarronwood, we went to the Specialty restaurant on the Summit on the last formal night. Since it was the last formal night most people were dining in the main dining room. So, there were only a few couples in the specialty restaurant and all of us were in our formal attire.

It was wonderful. Again, the service, food, and overall ambience are outstanding to begin with and dining there on the formal night just added to the formality of the experience.

Keith

Keith

Thank you - you have convinced me to dine there on the last formal night wearing my dress.

We had intended to dine at least once in the Normandie and do the wine pairing menu.

Can you choose what time you go to the Normandie? Or are there set times?

For instance, can we reserve a table for two for 7 to 7.30 or such?

Jarronwood, yes, you can select your time based on the hours that the restaurant is open such as 7:00 or 7:30 as you mentioned. If you are a captain club member you can make a reservation prior to embarking the ship. Otherwise, the day you embark I would recommend going over to the restaurant to make your reservation(s). The good news is that very few people will eat there on the last formal night so you can easily get a reservation there.

Keith

Thanks Keith

WIll make sure we def book for the last formal night then.

That will be a real nice change from dining in the main dining room. After nearly 2 weeks on board a change will be good.

I have another question for you - after dinner especially the late seating are there still people around in their formal attire - I am thinking along the lines of having a little night cap in one of the bars/lounges which I suppose after late seating will be getting on towards 11 pm and I just wondered whether people still are dressed up? I know I read somewhere that straight after dinner a lot of people go and change - me personally I love to dress up, how often can I be Cinderella? The longer I can stay in my gown the better (well the longer I can stay upright and walk straight after a few glasses of bubbly/wine with determine how long I wear my gown for) cos once hubby steers me to the cabin and bed well then the dress will come off....

:)

No seriously though what are people's experience on this.?

Jarronwood, Celebrity asks that guest stay in the rescommended evening attire when they go to the shows and the lounges. As one would expect, some comply with this while others don't. So, while some will change to more casual attire others won't so you won't feel out of place if you stay in your formal attire.

Keith

On most cruise lines, "formal night" usually extends from the early dinner service throughout the rest of the evening in the ship's public rooms (bars, lounges, etc). So yes, most people will stay in formal night attire for drinks and dancing after dinner.

Jarronwood,

I am very tempted then to book our last formal night in the Normandie and wear my new dress again.

Actually, the "formal" evenings are precisely when I would NOT go to the specialty restaurant because those are the nights when the main dining room pulls out all the stops with the best menus and the extra touches like sorbet intermezzos that don't happen on other nights. The last "formal" evening, in particular, is always the night when the main dining room serves lobster tails. The menus and service in the specialty restaurants on "formal" evenings, by contrast, are exactly the same as on other evenings.

Norm.

Jarronwood,

Actually, the "formal" evenings are precisely when I would NOT go to the specialty restaurant because those are the nights when the main dining room pulls out all the stops with the best menus and the extra touches like sorbet intermezzos that don't happen on other nights. The last "formal" evening, in particular, is always the night when the main dining room serves lobster tails. The menus and service in the specialty restaurants on "formal" evenings, by contrast, are exactly the same as on other evenings.

Norm.

I understand what you are saying but we really thought it was wonderful going to the specialty restaurant on the final formal night. As background, we went to the specialty restaurant earlier in the cruise and had a wonderful time. And it was so nice that we said why don't we skip the last formal night in the dining room (I know that's when they serve the lobster tails) and instead let's make the evening special by going to the specialty restaurant. Maybe its because we just wanted to have a quiet dinner with the two of us instead of being at the table for eight. And, we also thought that it would be nice sitting in such a beautiful restaurant in our formal attire. And, we also thought (which was the case) that there would be very few people eating there. So, we don't have any regrests missing the final formal night in the main restaurant. There is something to be said to being served by several restaurant staff, having a nice quiet conversation without all of the noise that you have in the large dining room and eating wonderful food.

Keith

We were told on our Summit cruise these past two weeks that starting with the next sailing on Dec 9 the dress code in the Normandie was going to be changed to follow the dress code of the day, in other words if the dress code of the day is casual the dress code in the Normandie would be casual as well.

I understood this to be fleet wide and a corporate decision. We got the impressions that the Maitre'd of the Normandie was not too happy about it.

Astrid

Archived