dinner seating

My husband and I are going to be on the Westerdan Nov 11 for a 15 day cruise.

we have signed up for a table for two. We've never done this before--we've always been at group tables and we've had good experiences and not so good which I'm sure is true of almost everyone. Now that we've reserved this seating I'm nervous that we might feel too secluded and miss the interaction with other travelers. We don't have to worry about not talking during our meal like you see some couples not saying a word. We're both big talkers!

Could anyone give me some pros or cons and your experiences? Thanks!

There are other tables adjacent to yours ... so you will be able to strike up a conversation if you want to. There have been a number of posters who have noted how they prefer tables for two. Their jobs require them to interact with other people so much that they enjoy carving out this time on a cruise to just be together. Will you like it? This is the way to find out.

:)

We have done quite a few cruises and are tired of table mates getting to the table late, poor conversations (they kept repeating everything at least 3 or 4 times a night), so now we book only a table for 2. We love it. We get more personnel attention from our waiter and his assistant and our area captain. Ans we are served differntly than the other tables - for example if we chose to skip appetizers, we are served our salads. Most of the time we are eating dessert when others are just beginning to have their main meal - mainly because they had to wait until everyone arrived at their table before service began.

And yes, we always have a lot to talk about and don't miss having table mates.

That is just our opinion!

:)

eeeks, how long do they make you wait for all guests to arrive ???? Also what if they are not comming ???? How would we know ????

Hope we dont regret asking for a table of 8, we love meeting ppl but I dont want to wait all night for ppl to show up either :(

We had a table for ten 2 years ago at Christmas and one couple were always late so when our waiter found out after the first or second night that they always arrived at least 15-20 minutes after the rest of us, he proceeded to take our orders and then would take theirs when they arrived. Granted this did cause more trouble for him running back and forth to the kitchen, but he didn't seem to mind and was very nice about it.

I would wait 10 minutes and if the other people don't arrive, too bad. Just ask the waiter to start taking orders and let the late folks wait to be served. Actually that Christmas experience was the first time we have ever had people arriving late so late.

We have enjoyed most of our table mates, but decided we didn`t want to be bothered making new friends, so we have asked for a table for two on our last 5 cruises.

We usually find plenty of people to socialize with around the ship.

Another factor is that my dh is a little deaf and I hate repeating what table mates are saying to him.

The tables are close enough to strike up conversations and most people do at times but you don't HAVE to. All the tables in the area are for two on the Vista ships so that makes the situation even nicer.

We have requested, and received, a table for two on both of our previous cruises. I also deal with the public and, if my husband and I don't want to say a word to each other, just enjoy the companionship, that's fine. We, too have found better and more personal service. If we were seated with the people across from us at a table for 8, someone would have been tossed overboard. They were so obnoxious it actually got to be funny just listening to them after a few days. Fortunately they weren't loud but we had no trouble listening to all their "complaints".

A table for two is by request only but we have never had a problem getting one just where we like to be seated....along the upper balcony rail. I like to eat my food piping hot, and not have to stop and talk between each mouthful. I guess it goes back to my upbringing where talking at the table was not allowed!!! I also feel that we get more personal service at a table for two and its easier for the staff to talk to one or two pax than it would be trying to talk to 8 or 10.....jean

I was thinking about a table for 2. How far in advance do you have to make the request? We sail on August 1st. Also, what are some other good spots in the dining room other than the upper by the rail just in case we can't get that.

We always get a table for two. Sometimes we have meant people that we liked so much, we where able then to get a table for four.:D

When we where not able to get a table for four, we enjoy sending a bottle or two to our NEW friends.:)

Enjoy yourselves and I do agree with what ASM, Tooalto and KK have said.:o

I don't think there are any 'good' or 'bad' spots in the dining rooms; whatever you like is 'good' for you, jgooden1. First thing you need to decide is whether you want lower level (6:15 or 8:30) or upper (5:45 or 8). If you don't like the time you are assigned you're not going to like your table very much, so pick your time and level first. Once you've decided on that, decide on table size- for 2 or a larger table. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but that's up to you.

Then I would look at the dining room level you picked for your ship on the HAL website. Look around it and find the size table you want. If you are eating early and it will still be daylight when you dine, then a window table might be nice. Like to be near the music, then find a spot on the railing. It really is up to you.

After you narrow it down somewhat then I think someone with numbered layout for your ship will be better able to help you.

We just got our Docs yesterday and we got MAIN UPPER

(just like I requested!!! I sent e-mail to HAL and put "upper main" on icruise.com questionair) :D :) :D

I don't think there are any 'good' or 'bad' spots in the dining rooms; whatever you like is 'good' for you, jgooden1. First thing you need to decide is whether you want lower level (6:15 or 8:30) or upper (5:45 or 8). If you don't like the time you are assigned you're not going to like your table very much, so pick your time and level first. Once you've decided on that, decide on table size- for 2 or a larger table. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but that's up to you.

Then I would look at the dining room level you picked for your ship on the HAL website. Look around it and find the size table you want. If you are eating early and it will still be daylight when you dine, then a window table might be nice. Like to be near the music, then find a spot on the railing. It really is up to you.

After you narrow it down somewhat then I think someone with numbered layout for your ship will be better able to help you.

I guess I sounded rather undecided. We are confirmed for main-upper. We were interested in a tbale for 2 and by good I mean by a window or not in by the kicthen doors or right next to the restroom. I did not see a floor plan for the restaurant on-line.

You can get the basic layout for your ship's dining room, both levels, by going to the HAL site, clicking on your ship in the Fleet list, and then clicking on Deck Plans.

I'm not sure what ship you are sailing, but you will be able to see where the tables for 2 are, make a decision on the area you like, and then hopefully someone with a numbered layout can give you some table #'s or better yet your TA will talk with HAL as to what you would like to request. If you are going on the Zui or Oosterdam, I have that layout.

I guess I sounded rather undecided. We are confirmed for main-upper. We were interested in a tbale for 2 and by good I mean by a window or not in by the kicthen doors or right next to the restroom. I did not see a floor plan for the restaurant on-line.
I think unless you've booked a suite you can't book particular table.

I checked this site

http://www.cruisestateroom.com/Holland/westerdam.htm

and I don't see any tables for 2 next to the window.

Thanks for the info. We are saling on the Amsterdam. So I'll investigate further.
check this http://www.cruisestateroom.com/Holland/amsterdam.htm

Looks like all tables for 2 are around the rail and there is one that closer to the back but also not next to the window.

We were seated on Century next to the rail and liked it.

check this http://www.cruisestateroom.com/Holland/amsterdam.htm

Looks like all tables for 2 are around the rail and there is one that closer to the back but also not next to the window.

We were seated on Century next to the rail and liked it.

Thanks Tatka,

It looks like there are only about 9 tables for 2 and they are look about the same. I went ahead and put in my request. I hope that we get it. If not that's fine I just hope they don't put us at a table for 8 instead!

Archived