Need An Honest Answer

Fit Heart

Rev, but if I tip you wont you have to pool it ! ?

hehehehe ... Chaplains aren't included in those rules!!!! ;)

Besides ... I'm more interested in tips that can't be pooled ... like:

"Sell Enron"

"Eat at Marios, found at the intersection of 7th and Vine."

"Always hit on an 11"

"Your fly is open" :D

etc.

kryos,

Thank you! :)

Lois is correct about the meaning of the "Friends of Dorothy" group ... it's a gathering of gay and lesbian cruisers ("Dorothy" = Julie Garland ... get it?). Don't worry, it had to be explained to me, too. :D

'

Esme--how would you know "lots of the crew are gay"?

Because I happen to know quite a few and have known them for years and they are good friends to my husband and I. Also did you not read that "typhoonwi" said the same thing? Re-read his post, please.

RevNeal,

What a great story...thanks for taking the time to share that experience. In a world that can sometimes focus too much on our differences, it is nice to hear such a tale of just wanting the ability to be treated like everyone else. How lovely dancing the night away with someone you care about sounds. I often think if we as human beings focused our energies more on loving and accepting, rather than judging and fearing, what a beautiful existence we'd share together. I guess that's the answer to World Peace, huh? Seriously, thank you for your story/sermon. It has strengthened my "faith" that I've made the right decision to share this experience with Michael.

Rev, you should think about being the "Welcoming Committe" for this board:)

(or at least the Chairmen)....oh ok, if we are going to be politically correct...the chairperson;) ...just kidding folks:D .

Anyway....I hope my first HAL cruise will be a great experience too! I have a friend who sailed the Zuiderdam last summer.....she loved it and keeps giving me positive thoughts about my adventure to a new line and ship:) ....cruising brings out the best in me....so I am sure I will have fun!

Many hetro women dance together....especially in Europe where I`m from.....and no one thinks anything about it. Why should it be any different if two men dance together? Michael, you would be so welcome to share a table in the lounges with us, its a shame we aren`t on the same cruise. I am also from the Columbus area...Go Bucks!!!.....jean

Dear Michael,

Peter and I will have our 44th anniversary on our April 15th cruise with the Amsterdam. We have done several cruises and NEVER had any problems.:)

However, I would say that REVNEAL, TYPHOONWI, DFD1 and IKNICK hit the subject on the nose.

Just be yourself and SHOW RESPECT for others.

St. Paul: Faith, hope and LOVE, these three - and the greatest of these is LOVE.:)

Enjoy yourselves and all the best for the future.:)

What a nice thread this has turned out to be. Of course you will have no problem on a HAL ship, nor should you. On the first week of our Oosterdam b2b we were at a table for 8. The most delightful couple at the table were 2 gentlemen from Toronto. DH and I ended up meeting them almost every day for lunch in the Lido we had such a good time together.

It sure makes you wonder why some politicians underestimate what I believe to be the majority of people and try to make gay couples an issue in this election. :mad:

Have a great cruise, Michael(s).

Michael & Michael. This is your vacation and you can make it the best ever without concerns of others. I've been in an interracial relationship for many years. I used to look at people's faces and reactions. Now I guess I just don't pay any attention. On cruises we've never had stares or people walking away. Keith and I are very articulate and take the opportunity to chat with the masses. I think overall most cruise ships include a large diverse clientel. I have not sailed HAL yet. I'm sure I'll run into people like the "S" club on this board who may turn up a nose or think it's novel to have a conversation with the "interacial couple" as a momento of their trip. But I think that's the minority. Overall everyone is there to have a great time just like the 2 of you. If you ever sail with us we'd be pleased to meet you.

Dear Michael & Michael:

As another gay couple, we have enjoyed many HAL cruise without the slightest problem. Yes, we dance together in the Crows Nest at night and no one cares. Crew is delightful, friendly and very helpful. Cabin stewards have the beds moved together before we even get to the room on embarkation day.(Usually a suite). Our fellow passangers either are very friendly or pay no attention. Two cruises ago we met a straight mother & daughter who who do alot of HAL cruising, we became great friends and have just planned our third cruise together (January Rotterdam -- 10 days from FLL). Now don't go on HAL expecting a lively party atmosphere but do go on HAL expecting a refined, understated quality cruise experience. Sometimes we are the only gay couple aborad (not counting crew, staff or entertainers) and sometimes (but not ofter) there are gay groups aboard. Frankly, I'm not sure why HAL is not more popular with gay cruisers since the ships are often chartered for gay only groups and these gay group cruises are very popular. The ship's staff love gay cruisers -- we're more fun and always tip more! Enoy your HAL cruise; you won't be sorry for booking with HAL.

Robert & Robert

Robert & Robert,

Now how can a Michael & Michael not be thankful for the advice from a Robert & Robert. Roberts, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. I wasn't looking for a wild party time. That is why I was exploring HAL. I've heard nice things, and I like the thought of more traditional style cruising. On my first (and only) cruise, the most friendly and memorable friends I made we're in the 55 and over category, even though there were plenty of folks my age and younger. The reason I enjoyed the cruise experience so much was that everyone was just there to relax and have fun. It is nice to seek out people different from you with various backgrounds. You learn far more from them that way. It would be nice to have other gay people to socialize with, but as you know, gay people, just like straight people come in all types. There is no guarantee there would be a good connection with others just because they are gay. Thanks again for the thoughtful insight and your time to do so.

Kind Regards,

Michael & Michael

....I'm sure I'll run into people like the "S" club on this board who may turn up a nose or think it's novel to have a conversation with the "interacial couple" as a momento of their trip....

:confused: I don't think I've ever heard of the "S" club on this board or anywhere else, but it certainly sounds like you are insulting people here and I don't know why. Would you please explain. Hopefully you did not mean this comment the way it reads, but if you did I think it's uncalled for.

M&M -

We have been on 8 cruises and there has yet to be one where we didn't meet at least one gay or lesbian couple. We work in the travel industry so know how to "spot" them ;) . We have always made friends with them and had a better time with them than anyone else. If any of them ever felt unwelcome, we sure weren't aware and yes, we would see them dance together and the only thing that bothered me about seeing that is the fact that my DH and I can't dance!

You will have a great time. Gay couples tend to cruise and take good vacations because they are typically DINKs so I am sure you will meet other gay couples if you wish.

Gay couples also don't tend to bore you with stories about their kids, etc. I know, I have kids and bore others talking about them!

PS. I work with a Michael who's partner is also named Michael, I also know a John & John and a David & David...can someone explain that to me? Does it save on towels, stationary, and other personalized items? :D

Fit Heart, I am saddened that you should even have to ask this question. The concern should never have to cross your mind. But I'm comfortable telling you that if there is a place on earth where you can go and not be judged, I would hope it's on a cruiseline such as Holland America. I think we're just better people out there on the sea.

I wish you hadn't felt the need to ask, that you could just go on your cruise filled with anticipation for a wonderful time and not worry about a thing. Still, we all get on the ship with just a bit of trepidition ... will we meet people we like? will we get along with our tablemates? In +20 years my husband and I have never been disappointed and we've never had tablemates we did not like. I think it's amazing I can make that statement. I hope you'll be able to say the same thing.

And we would be honored to have you both at our table anytime. Hope to see you on the high seas one day. Have a wonderful cruisesmile.gif

:confused: I don't think I've ever heard of the "S" club on this board or anywhere else

If you'd really like to know, post a temporary e-mail address and I'll send you an explaination. It's something unique to this HAL board. I don't believe my comments were uncalled for - maybe just something you don't clearly understand as not having experienced my lifestyle or understand what I've observed the past few weeks. I'd be glad to share outside this thread as not to make it become off topic.

Michael

My name is John and I wil be celebrating my 40th birthday on the December 4th sailing of the Zuiderdam. It was a gift from my partner of 11 years, Ron.

This will be our second cruise, and our first HAL experience. Our first cruise was aboard the RCCL Navigator of the Seas with a group of 18 friends and family. We had a spectacular time. On the Zuiderdam it will just be the two of us.

I think the most important thing to do is to be yourself enjoy the experience. Everyone is there to have a good time.

I have started a roll call thread for our cruise so feel free to join the conversation. So far I haven't found any fellow travellers!

I've been on two HAL cruises (Zaandam and Veendam) with family, but didn't notice any issues...in fact each time saw gay couples (a few) having a great time. Based on that my partner and I are off on the Zuiderdam's 8/28 sailing and are looking forward to 7 days of pure relaxation; hope you and Michael find the same. Prepare to come back with lots of great "couple" pictures!

Peace,

John

I think we're just better people out there on the sea.

I couldnt agree with you more Heather. That's one of the reasons I was in the Navy for so long. Must be the salt air, or the (usually) gentle rocking motion of the ocean, like being in a huge cradle.

Anyhow, Fitheart, as far as you and your partner go...

Some people wont even notice, some people will notice but wont care, and some people will notice and care but not say anything because they are out of their normal environment and off balance.

I myself would probably notice, not because I am against it, but mostly because it is not so common. I would think that in the long run the more "out" you are, the more "common" you become and the more receptive "on the fence" people will be. Unless of course you are some kind of "really" out there person in which case you will probably just scare the "on the fence" people.

In any case, what does it matter what strangers think anyway.

Don't worry, be happy & keep smilin'

Archived