xunantunich ruins review

countrycruzr

What if your ship does not offer this tour? Anyone use one of the local tour companies? Any recommendations? Thanks!!

I booked my tour on Carnival's website last year, but it isn't showing up this year. Maybe if you called the cruise line and inquired on this tour?

I had planned to tour Altun Ha the other Mayan site offered by the line and couldn't find it listed on Carnival's web site, so I opted for something else( jungle and cave tour). The omissions of Xunantunich and Altun Ha seemed strange indeed.

Are you looking in the general shore excursions or are you actually logged in through your fun pass... This is going to bother me now becuase I just assumed if I clicked on the sailing of the ship that it would show me what I REALLY had to pick from... Could it be because of the time in port?

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anybody sailing on the NCL Sun 2/18 thru 2/25 07 has also booked this tour with the ship.

I cannot wait, this will I hope be the highlight of our cruise. My wife is not so enthusiastic about it, she concerned about the amount of walking, not to mention climbing the stairs of the pyramid.

Norwegian Sun FEB 2007 W.Caribbean 6 weeks to go!!!

Costa Magica JAN 2006 E.Caribbean

Norwegian Star SEPT 2005 Alaska

HAL Zuiderdam FEB 2005 Bahamas

Norwegian Sea JUL 2004 W.Caribbean

My wife felt the same way when we went to Coba. She looked at Nachi Mul 128' straight up and said have fun. And I did along with having her make an effort to climb some of the steps just to say she did. You can pass to your wife she will have a blast at any of the ruins but its a matter of being prepared. There were many techniques used such as the normal climb, cheek climb or the combo of normal & butt bump methods. Just remember its a once in a life time adventure. We carried plenty of water, beef jerky, pringles along with hats and sun screen. This region with be hotter with the possibilty of a brief shower. We always carry 2 cheap pancho's just in case as they do not weigh that much. I would rather protect the cameras then me but don't get in the way of my food.

You'll be coming off when we're coming on.....Rick NCL Sun Feb25

I just checked and they are not offering it on our trip either!!!! I'm so disappointed!!! I guess we're looking at the Altun Ha trip...bummer..

I'd call the cruiseline if I were you and ask about Xuantunich or Altun Ha. It STILL might be offered on the ship. Good luck !

Well, Carnival said that what is on their website after you log in is what they are offering. They were no help at all. Has anyone taken this on their own and had a good experience?

Bummer !! I'm so very sorry. I don't know what ship you are on but on mine ( Carnival Valor) there are some intriguing Mayan sites at Costa Maya. As a matter of fact, I not only booked, but have a tour paid for to Kohunlich. AND i booked it online with Carnival...so maybe that will prevent things from being totally bummer .

We also booked through NCL as this is a long excursion combined with tendering. I would rather pay a little more for the peace of mind they will hold the ship if we're late. Not worth paying 3rd party roulette with an unkown company on such a long trip. I can not wait to make the climb as we were at Coba this past Sept.

Just thought I'd confirm that this is soooo true!

We went on the Xunantunich excursion during our Christmas cruise aboard the Dawn 12/17. None of us were aware enroute to the ruins that our bus was actually having some difficulties, nor did we know exactly how long it was supposed to take to get there.

Once the guide finished her "presentation", we were given 15 minutes to climb El Castillo and then return to the parking lot. I said, "15 minutes?????"

We had every intention of getting to the top. I have a little vertigo as it is from my inner ear, but if I wasn't rushed I could have made it. Try doing that with a bunch of anxious people, on steps that get deeper, steeper and narrower as you go along, and given so little time. Didn't happen; I was so disappointed! I got part of the way to the 2nd level and had to turn back. Hubby and my son continued, but even they turned back around the 2nd level.

Then after we stopped at a hotel for lunch, they informed us another bus was going to meet us on the way back. We were moving along OK, but evidentally not at the speeds we should be going. It ended up that we returned to port an hour after all aboard. BUT being an NCL excursion, the Dawn was waiting. They sent us back on a speedboat though! LOL!

I've recently read that they have plans to improve access to El Castillo in the upcoming year, while preserving the structure. It may take away from the experience, but being such a large attraction in such a remote area it's probably for the best.

Feel free to check out our pics (page 3). These are the only stairs to El Castillo with railings:

100_1373.jpg

Yikes! After seeing that picture (which BTW, is beautiful!) i'm concerned about taking this tour. Royal Caribbean represents this tour as mild activity level, walking over primarily even surfaces with limited steps. We expected the steps to be El Castillo. I didn't expect them to be so steep, or expect an uphill walk to get to El Castillo, or be expected to go up and down in 15 minutes. :eek: . Difficult if you are handicapped in any way IMHO.

Any recommendations for alternate ruins we could enjoy that wouldn't be so strenuous? We also port in Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Yikes! After seeing that picture (which BTW, is beautiful!) i'm concerned about taking this tour. Royal Caribbean represents this tour as mild activity level, walking over primarily even surfaces with limited steps. We expected the steps to be El Castillo. I didn't expect them to be so steep, or expect an uphill walk to get to El Castillo, or be expected to go up and down in 15 minutes. :eek: . Difficult if you are handicapped in any way IMHO.

Any recommendations for alternate ruins we could enjoy that wouldn't be so strenuous? We also port in Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Cozumel offers Tulum in which might interest you. It has level walking and no climbing is permitted. In Belize there is also Altun Ha, but I haven't seen it. In Costa Maya, I'll be visting Kohunlich in May.

Good luck !

Archived