xunantunich ruins review

countrycruzr

My husband and I just got off the Miracle on 12-10. We went on the Xunantunich excursion through Carnival in the port of Belize.

We were due to take off at 8:00 a.m., as ours was the longest tour. We met in the Phantom lounge with about a hundred other people from various tours. We were given a tender sticker and were the first down the gangway and off the boat. The tender ride was quite a ways, but only took about 15 minutes as the boats were very fast. The whole process was a breeze. We then went through the tourist area at port and got on a modernish tour bus with air conditioning. There were only about 40 people on our tour.

The bus ride took about two hours but went by very quickly as our tour guide Amalia, a native Belizean, pointed out interesting sites in Belize City and gave us a complete description of the country, it's people, it's culture and it's history. It was fascinating. Marisol, another native, explained the ruins and their history and what we would see there. The scenery was gorgeous and changed quite a bit as it went from the flat city to farmed countryside to the mountains in the rainforest.

Once we reached the site of the ruins, we debarked the bus and walked onto a hand cranked ferry across the Mopan river. Once across the river, we took two vans to the bathrooms and a little souvenir stand, and after a short break, walked about 1000, maybe 1500 feet up a steep hill to the beginning of the ruins. I was very concerned about this part, as I am large and out of shape. Turns out I was right to be concerned. I trained for about two months on my 1500 foot driveway to prepare for this, but it turns out the incline on my drive was about a third of the one at the ruins. Anyway, I stopped about 4 times as the remainder of the tour went on, but Amalia was nice enough to stay with my husband and myself and I was very grateful. Once up to the top, I was faced with about 20 steep steps, but once up, the tour was at the top in the little museum where Marisol was explaining the model of the ruins. After that, the terrain was flat until we climbed the ruins.

Having made the climb up the hill without dying, I was ready to tackle the 130 foot tall El Castillo, but it had been raining heavily and was still sprinkling, so the park determined that we could only climb up one third of the way. One couple ignored this and climbed to the top. They put themselves, the ruins, and the fun of the other people on the tour at risk. There is always someone who thinks the rules do not apply to themselves. Had they fallen, they probably would have died or been seriously injured forcing the tour to stop and everyone to wait while they were carried down the mountain to medical help. The ship would have been delayed, etc. The ruins were put at risk because they are more fragile when they are wet. This kind of incident is what causes ruins to be forever closed to climbing. I hope they were punished. Those of us who chose to follow the rules, climbed up the main front stairs, to the first platform, up a second set of stairs off to the side, and then up a grassy hill that led behind the temple. From there we could see the stellae carved into the side, and Guatemala. Even one third of the way up, you could see everything. It was really up there! Being large, this was a real accomplishment for me, and something I will never forget. My husband is afraid of heights, so it was an accomplishment for him too. I found the temple easier than the walk up the hill to the ruins, because you could lean over and grab onto the stairs with your hands and this made it easier to breathe for some reason. You could also take it at your own pace. We did miss some of the narration from Marisol, but the tour was always just ahead of us which allowed us to go at our own pace and then catch up while the guide was narrating. Then we had to tackle the harrowing walk down the long steps to the flat ground. The first 10 or so were scary as they were wet, but the rest had a handrailing you could cling to. These are the steps you often see photographed, as they are impressive from the ground as well.

After the tour, we were allowed five minutes to shop at the souvenir stand by the bathrooms and then five minutes to purchase souvenirs once we crossed the river again. They had people with slate tablets they carved themselves. Beautiful. Then we went to lunch at Windy Hill, a little resort in the mountains, with lush tropical foliage and a grass thatched, open air restaurant. The red beans, rice, chicken, fried plantains and fruit drink were delicious.

The ride back seemed even faster as most of us were asleep. Even the little tiny people were tired! We had sore legs for two days after the tour!

For anyone considering ruins, I would definitely recommend Xunantunich. It was spectactular, a real Indiana Jones kind of experience; very eerie. The fact that you can climb so high up on them is rare. I know a lot of people are put off by the long bus ride, but the tour guides made it seem really short. They are such nice people and it was great to see Belize through the eyes of real natives. We learned things you cannot learn any other way. For those with physical challenges, it can be done. I am proof. It hurt, but boy was I exhilarated at the end. Do it people, it's worth it, a once in a lifetime experience.

We also enjoyed the ruins and would recommend them as well.

However, when we made the trip a number of years ago they did not have vans from the ferry. We had to walk the entire way to the ruins from the ferry and back after the tour. So you were fortunate to have the van to ride you part of the way. Try walking all the way from and back to the ferry.

We went to the ruins last week and enjoyed them very much. It was exhilarating to climb to the top. The view into Guatamala was just amazing. Most of us found the climb down to be more difficult than the climb up. After we got back down we stood and looked up in awe knowing that we just climbed to the top.

Way to go!!! Glad you went and enjoyed them. Got to give you alot of credit for really trying and giving it all you got! I didn't sign up for this tour because I am afraid of heights. You are an inspiration for me for next time. We did Altun Ha instead. After climbing up to the top on one of the ruins I realized that there was no hand rail for the first few steps when climbing down. I panicked when looking down, so I made the best of it. I got down on my tush and sat down on the first top step and went down on my bottom untill I reached the first step with a hand rail, then went down the rest of the way standing.

We just got back (12/10)and enjoyed the ruins in Costa Maya. If you enjoy ruins, put that on your wish list for your next cruise and make sure and sign up with David and Ivan.

I thought about the butt thing too when coming down LOL! However you can do it, that's what I say! I'd heard David and Ivan were really good. We were just too exhausted by that point and chose to get drunk at the Cat's Meow!

I thought about the butt thing too when coming down LOL! However you can do it, that's what I say! I'd heard David and Ivan were really good. We were just too exhausted by that point and chose to get drunk at the Cat's Meow!

I ascended and descended the temple on all fours at times....hey...it worked !

Hey, both DH and I went up on all fours. Dh because he's afraid of anything 10 feet tall or over and me because my legs were too short for those first steps. Those things were like 2 feet tall! Coming down wasn't too pretty either! I want to go all the way up though, so we're planning to go back next year!

Hey, both DH and I went up on all fours. Dh because he's afraid of anything 10 feet tall or over and me because my legs were too short for those first steps. Those things were like 2 feet tall! Coming down wasn't too pretty either! I want to go all the way up though, so we're planning to go back next year!

My biggest problem was I had gotten my sea-legs and thus suffered from vertigo when on land. When I got on top of the El Castillo, I could have sworn that it was swaying. It's made out of solid rock and anchored to hard earth, but was swaying! I had to crawl down.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a great review of this tour. Our guide was named Pedro, and was someone we had toured with before, to the nearby ruins at Cahal Pech.

I'm not very good with heights myself, but had no difficulty negotiating the climb to the top of El Castillo. The site itself is quite extensive and it is unfortunate that cruise passengers don't get to spend more time there. I personally think the tour would be better if a sacked lunch was provided, instead of the stop at the restaurant in San Ignacio.

In the Princess tour book, this tour was listed as "active", and although the level of physical activity isn't that intense, people do need to be aware that these sites require walking, and some climbing. The sites are not readily HC accessible, either. I felt very badly for a family who booked the tour only to find out they couldn't get one of their family members to the site because they were confined to a wheelchair.

Just booked this excursion with NCL Sun for Mar. I can not wait to make the climb as I managed Coba this past Sept (2nd largest temple in the Yucatan). My question is the time line, how long of a drive to the ruins, amount of time on-site and how much time for lunch and where? If it was at the San Ignacio Hotel did anyone explore the Green Iguna hatchery on the resort?

Thanks

Rick

Just booked this excursion with NCL Sun for Mar. I can not wait to make the climb as I managed Coba this past Sept (2nd largest temple in the Yucatan). My question is the time line, how long of a drive to the ruins, amount of time on-site and how much time for lunch and where? If it was at the San Ignacio Hotel did anyone explore the Green Iguna hatchery on the resort?

Thanks

Rick

I don't have specifics but it's a long day. We caught an early tender and was the last tender back, but didn't feel rushed. Lunch was leasurely.

Did anyone who took the Xunantunich tour with Carnival book it through their web site?

I am trying to book this tour in late February (2/27) on the Glory, but it does not apper on the list of available tours under my reservation. The boat is going to be in port from 8:00am to 5:00pm, so I believe that there is enough time for the tour to be offered.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BoZero

Did anyone who took the Xunantunich tour with Carnival book it through their web site?

I am trying to book this tour in late February (2/27) on the Glory, but it does not apper on the list of available tours under my reservation. The boat is going to be in port from 8:00am to 5:00pm, so I believe that there is enough time for the tour to be offered.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BoZero

I booked my Xunantunich tour through the Carnival site last year. Strange thing is some of these tours aren't offered on the site this year. I'm returning to Belize in May and had planned to visit Altun Ha, but guess what....Altun Ha and Xunantunich aren't to be found. Instead, I found a Jungle Buggy and Cave tour which caught my fancy, so I'm doing it .

A person might could call the cruise-line and inquire if they wish to do the Mayan sites on a ship's tour. i don't understand it ?

How long do you actually get to explore the ruins? Are there lots of other people there? Can you leave the group a little and go explore on your own? My husband used to be an archaeologist and studied the Mayan culture...he kind've hates to be "shackled" to a tour guide. Thanks!

How long do you actually get to explore the ruins? Are there lots of other people there? Can you leave the group a little and go explore on your own? My husband used to be an archaeologist and studied the Mayan culture...he kind've hates to be "shackled" to a tour guide. Thanks!

We had enough time to see what we wished to see and do. It's best not to be separated from the group, so I don't advise exploring on your own unless you wish to risk being left in Belize. It's a great tour, but yeah...one might feel "shackled".

We went to Uxmal with a cruise ship tour before (there were many other tours there also) but we broke from the group because we knew what time we needed to meet back at the exit... Do they let you know how much time you are going to have there? Thanks.

We went to Uxmal with a cruise ship tour before (there were many other tours there also) but we broke from the group because we knew what time we needed to meet back at the exit... Do they let you know how much time you are going to have there? Thanks.

This should work the same way. I did Uxmal also, and the tours are comparable.

Great thanks. I am the one always worried about staying with the group so I constantly stress and keep an eye on them while DH admires the ruins! Generally the guide does say when they will be leaving right? DH does so much research that he already knows what the guide is talking about...in Uxmal we actually explored a ton and met the group back at the entrance...except we were the ones a bit early. You've made me feel a little better. thanks!

Great thanks. I am the one always worried about staying with the group so I constantly stress and keep an eye on them while DH admires the ruins! Generally the guide does say when they will be leaving right? DH does so much research that he already knows what the guide is talking about...in Uxmal we actually explored a ton and met the group back at the entrance...except we were the ones a bit early. You've made me feel a little better. thanks!

Everything will be just fine! You will get to see enough and I don't feel that you will get left behind , but you could tell your guide that you plan to walk on your own some, and synchronize the watches with him or her (Just to be on the safe side). I think you will enjoy the site. There is ONE temple in Xunantunich which you must build up the courage and climb. It still might be the tallest building in Belize and it was ABONDONED 1000 years ago. The top provides a magnificent panorama into Guatemala. With the exception of this "El Castillo" at Xunantunich, I found Uxmal a lot better. To me ( at least) there was this one great building at Xunantunich, while Uxmal had at least two, the Sorcerer's Pyramid and the Nunnery. Getting off the subject, but I enjoyed visiting Manassas Virgina. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn, ate at the Cracker Barrel, toured the battlefield, and took the Metro into DC. Nice part of the world!!

Have fun !!

Thanks. We will probably let the guide know so we can synchronize watches - good idea! Yeah...I did climb the ruins in Coba...oh my gosh... I'll get the courage to climb, it's just the coming back down which is more scary I think. I do the all 4s crawl. I do not like heights but I also do not have very good balance..it's terrible! I had DH get me a bicycle trainer for Christmas (it hooks up to my current bike and creates tension). So I've been riding that since last week. It took everything I had to go at a slow pace for just 15 minutes!! I told DH he better start peddaling too!

Manassas :) Glad you liked it. I know exactly where the Fairfield in is and the Cracker Barrel. I do think the DC area is nice but the traffic is outrageous. I live on the 28 side of Manassas (opposite where you were though I used to live close to there) and there was an accident... It took about 35 minutes to drive about 2 miles...it was nuts! They keep fighting to try and preserve the battlefields. THey wanted to put a tri-county connector in place and it would go straight through the battlefields! It's nuts around there. Glad you liked it though!

"I'll get the courage to climb, it's just the coming back down which is more scary I think. I do the all 4s crawl. I do not like heights but I also do not have very good balance..it's terrible! "

Yea...I can relate to that. I too assended and decended on all 4's. On the Legend we had some choppy seas and I got my sealegs to the extreme, meaning I got vertigo on LAND. El Castillo was moving..I swear..just kidding.

We also booked through NCL as this is a long excursion combined with tendering. I would rather pay a little more for the peace of mind they will hold the ship if we're late. Not worth paying 3rd party roulette with an unkown company on such a long trip. I can not wait to make the climb as we were at Coba this past Sept.

Archived