FV v CC

cruzadict

We are currently booked into cabin number 7208 for our upcoming med cruise on the millie but have the option of upgrading to the fv cabin 7201.

Would you upgrade for this cabin even though it is next to a cabin with a funny shaped balcony or stick with the centre CC one. Any pics would be helpful.

Marilyn

Marilyn, some may disagree with me because I know those aft FVs are sought after, but do you need the extra space? Are there more than two of you? Unless the FV is much cheaper than the CC, I'd stick with 7208. It still has a great aft balcony and on a port intensive Med cruise, quite adequate in size. You get the extra benefits of CC, which may or may not be important to you. The other thing is if you are not a family, you may get bumped at a later date if a family request the cabin. I'm not sure how often this happens, but have heard it does and I wouldn't be prepared to risk it. Then of course there is the price to consider. If it is much more expensive then that would seal it for me.

Strangely enough I'm in 7208 on Connie in March and 7201 is available at the moment and this was the decision process I used, rightly or wrongly;)

Phil

I couldn't disagree more. The room in the FV cabins is just great! Even if your travelling with two, it's nice to be able to both be in the stateroom without necessarily being on top of one another. The balcony is great as well. I haven't done a CC, but if the nasty-looking canapes and the tiny bud vases with single flowers I saw in the hallways are any indication of the value of the CC perks, I'd say they're nothing you will miss. Unless it is MUCH more expensive, I'd go with the FV.

Drew, I don't disagree with your comments on the cabin and aside from the champagne and priority embarkation and embarkation I could do without it (and could be a non-issue with sufficient Captains Club credits). What makes me slightly nervous is if you do get bumped, without the assistance of a good travel agent. Has anyone been bumped from an FV cabin because of the requirements of a family? I've read here before that it is a possibility.

I liked the flowers in the cabin and will forego the canapes for cheese and crackers. I just wonder whether the guarantee of an aft cabin outweighs the extra space and "upgrade" issue.

Phil

Phil

From a fellow Brit what is this about "being bumped". Hubby and I managed to get 8181 on Summit next Feb for the 14 night Miami via the Canal to LA. I spent a lot of time watching the web site and pestering my TA until finally I was able to get the FV Corner. We have had this booked now since September.

No mention of being bumped if a "family" want it?

And where do they bump you to (Penthouse Suite sounds good).

I had never heard of being bumped. I've heard that they won't give out the FV cabins to parties of less than 4 early on in hopes of getting a family in there, but once they've given them out, I don't think they could take them back... At least not without "upgrading" (which would mean a suite)...

My preference would be corner FV, aft CC and then non-corner FV. I'd love to have the panoramic view of the corner FV, but don't really need the extra square footage for the two of us. I don't particularly like the partition in the FV that limits the view from half of the cabin.

We do have a non-corner FV on an upcoming cruise, but only chose it because there was no CC aft available.

On a port intensive Med cruise, the opportunity to use a balcony is minimal. Factors to consider: weather, time in port is spent in port, not on board, sailaways and arrivals are much more impressive on deck, and little sunbathing time. We found we used the balcony only for a quick cup of morning coffee and an occasional before bedtime relaxing moment. The balcony was virtually unused for most of the cruise. Interior space is much more important, in my opinion.

Archived