Any advise on not dressing like an American?

Knickerbocker

Go ahead...look like a tourist...YOU ARE!! And the place you are visiting will be all the happier for it!!

!

Personally, I like to consider myself a traveler, not a tourist and when I'm working, I'm definitely not a tourist.

The OP was concerned for personal safety issues. Wanting to blend in and not stand out.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to look like a tourist.

It's very difficult for a tourist not to look like one. Even if you dress like the locals, they don't walk around with maps and cameras!

About the white tennis shoes. Years ago, I was wearing them (for comfort, of course!). I wanted to see the new Marriott on the Champs Elysee. Would you believe the doorman didn't want to let me in! He said that I couldn't come in with sneakers!!!! Well, that was the last time I wore them for anything else but tennis!!!!

About shorts. That really is an American thing! In my city, I don't think too many locals would go downtown in shorts. ..maybe tailored linen Bermudas...possibly if it's really hot...but not in a shleppy getup.

About pickpockets. In Florence, the gypsies approached my husband. I yelled at them and they left.

My husband has zippo. Nothing in his pockets. Just his obvious camera! I take the minimum cash for the day and two credit cards ( I have had experiences of non-working cards!). The rest I leave in the safe. I wear no good jewellery. I don't travel with my engagement or wedding rings. So far so good.

We don't usually travel in the summer, so I wear a lightweight purse across my shoulder. It's in front, not on the side. I wear a hoodie (or something else that's soft), so that when it warms up during the day, I can tie it around my waist. This way it either covers the purse entirely or at least blocks it.

Having said all this, even in my own safe neighbourhood, purses have been stolen. Not too long ago, a friend was having lunch in our local (very local and safe, we would think)mall. Her purse was on the floor. When she looked for it, it was gone. Nowhere is 100% safe.

I don't think it's necessary to dress like locals. Just use common sense and be aware....and enjoy!

My blunt answer is, "don't dress like a slob and don't wear a fannypack and a camera".

In other words, dress to not stand out like a "sore thumb". Dress comfotable, smart, but not stupid.

I think it's more of an attitude that you'll carry that makes you a pick pocket risk. If you act fearful, people will smell it. You don't do anything that makes you an easy target, you carry your belongings sensibly, and you don't dress "obviously". What about "when in romans do what the romans do". When I travel to Brazil, I dress accordingly..partake in the culture..."act as if"...even though that is my heritage, I haven't lived there most of my life and I can still look like an American. I am traveling to London for new years, and even though I'll be at the air force base with americans I intend to dress like the locals when out in public (funky shoes, basic jeans/coat etc.)I intend to do what the locals do..visit the nontourist things, eat at the nontourist pubs, etc....not the ones marketed towards Americans.

I think no matter what country you are in, you will stick out like a tourist only if your attitude is one of ignorance. If you act wisely and smartly, nobody is going to bother you.

Menina

Wear a back pack with a Canadian flag on it and say "eh" after each phrase!:D

While most Canadians will be flattered, they will also not appreciate this... there's more to being Canadian than a flag and a speech habit. Us Canucks don't need people going out around the world with our flag giving us a bad reputation, (we're perfectly capable of doing that ourselves!)

And since there are apparently a lot of Americans doing this, it may not work anyway.

(I'm a Canadian living in the U.S.)

Our last cruise was eastern carribean in October and I was extremely surprised by the number of people that thought I was European not American ...why I'm still not sure - perhaps dress, and heritage I guess. Jan

Ha, yup, I had someone from the Miracle come up to me in Costa Maya and ask if I was European, she thought I couldn't possibly be American because of my swimsuit... :cool:

Doubt this would work in Helsinki in January. Brr!

I am a 7th generation Canadian who often wishes my ancestors had chosen to sail to a more moderate climate. I think a very stong factor that may have gotten them through the trials and tribulations of farming rocks and deadly winters was their valuable sense of humor! I honor my flag and nationality and I also respect our friends to the south. It was meant in jest!:Dquote=rt63]While most Canadians will be flattered, they will also not appreciate this... there's more to being Canadian than a flag and a speech habit. Us Canucks don't need people going out around the world with our flag giving us a bad reputation, (we're perfectly capable of doing that ourselves!)

And since there are apparently a lot of Americans doing this, it may not work anyway.

(I'm a Canadian living in the U.S.)

I am a 7th generation Canadian who often wishes my ancestors had chosen to sail to a more moderate climate. I think a very stong factor that may have gotten them through the trials and tribulations of farming rocks and deadly winters was their valuable sense of humor! I honor my flag and nationality and I also respect our friends to the south. It was meant in jest!:D

Joking I can do. Most Canadians grow up to be comedians. :p

You forgot to note that this look can only be pulled off if you're wearing a beat-up backpack, worn out shoes and clothes, and taking the train around Europe. ;)

And frankly, to the OP's question, I think it was an effort to not be targeted, many folks here have pointed out that dress is just one factor. You can walk around Europe wearing a 10-gallon hat, silver belt buckle, and cowboy boots and never be targeted by a pickpocket if you avoid the places they hang out... you won't see the "tourist attractions" but you may see more of Europe. And the Europeans you meet may well find you more charming than the ratty looking guy with the backpack.

But off a cruise ship for a half day? Not easy to do... best solution there is to stick with the organized tours, stay a distance from strange people, see what you need to see, and leave the jewels at home. Should be easier in the cold of Scandinavia than southern Europe or South America.

And you can get pickpocketed in any large city in the US and Canada...

Have traveled in Europe many times to visit relatives and my observation is that Nike, Reebok shoes, etc. are not worn on the streets. They have a purpose...to wear them jogging or to the fitness centers only. Another observation, and this makes the big difference, is that the majority of European women are not wearing the makeup and hair coloring Americans go in for. We put on our makeup every day and go on about our daily lives and think no more about it. Some of our Euro friends do not color/highlight their hair or wear makeup and this is the first thing I notice...it does make them look older. Of course, you will always see some who go to extremes with hair color, makeup and funky clothing.

After traveling in a number of foreign countries in Latin America and Europe....it was ironic that the only place we were pick-pocketed was in New Orleans! We had been in a store that sold sundries where my traveling companion took out a wad of cash from his trouser pocket to pay for an item we purchased. Then we walked a block down to a street in the French Quarter where someone approached and asked directions to Bourbon St. I thought this strange and kept walking but he stopped to talked to the person. His pocket must have been picked during the distraction but we did not discover it until we went to pay the bill at dinner. The point is....we had been watched in the store...and the fact that it was a rather large roll of bills and the thief knew exactly which pocket it was in (the front pocket which most men will swear no one would be able to get at without them knowing!). Fortunately, the large wad only consisted of about $30 in ones. They did not go for his wallet which was in his back pocket and contained credit cards and hundred dollar bills!

If anyone approaches me for any reason...I am extremely aware immediately...even someone asking for the time alerts me anywhere. Don't give anyone the chance to get to you...speak loudly to get them away from you. Don't pull out cash or wallets in view of those in the streets and don't stash all your money in whatever form in one place.

My European relatives have had cars and purses stolen as well....thieves don't care about your nationality....anyone is vulnerable.

Tourists are really easy to spot in our American big cities, too. I can spot someone who is not familiar with Chicago right away. They have this lost look on their faces or they are stopped in the middle of the sidewalk looking up at sites that those of us who live here never really look at. They also wear cameras or are taking pictures in the middle of the sidewalks. We get a lot of Asian and European tourists here. Dresswise they blend right in but it's the other things they do that give them away. A lot of Europeans smoke as they walk down the street. As for Americans and the white sneakers, whenever I go on a cruise I take mine so I can walk on the decks and get some exercise every day. My husband and I wear them to the airport because they take up so much space in our suitcases. I would prefer not to wear them because I dress up when I travel but we don't want to take a larger suitcase so we can bring along our tennies.

This thread is interesting to read. When I travel, I am a tourist. I admit that. But evidently I do not dress like an American. I do not wear blue jeans nor own tennis shoes. I never wear white shoes of any type.

Must be that my great great grandmother who was born in Quebec City has passed something on to my US genetics. Because no one in our family dresses in this sterotype being talked about that I know.

When we travel we focus on that we are guests in this country and should respect them as for the most part the good hosts that they are.

Start speaking with a fake Brit accent (think Madonna).

Stick a board up your a$$ before venturing into public areas.

Whenever you can, refer to America as 'the colonies'.

For fashion, rent and watch all of the 'Austin Powers' movies. Emulate.

For women, stop shaving your legs and underarms at least two months before you leave.

For men, start heating your beer in a microwave and thicken with cornstarch for several weeks prior to going. This will allow you to build a tolerance for European ale.

When discussing issues of importance, whether personal or geo-political, always talk it out ad nauseum. Explore every nuance, even the most outlandish and far fetched ideas need due consideration. Embrace the term 'Kyoto' and use it often. And most importantly, if things do not improve to your satisfaction, threaten the possibility of more talking.

Do not take any personal responsibility for the success of your vacation. Leave it up to local governments to ensure you have a good time.

If involved in any type of international emergency while gone, hunker down and wait for the U.S. Marines.

If you follow the above suggestions, whether at home or abroad, you will not be mistaken for an American. I hope that helps!

While I do think there are several things that are generally indicative of tourists (cameras, fanny packs, maps in hand, mannerisms) I also believe that clothes play a large part.

I do not wear athletic shoes (except when out for a run or in the gym), t-shirts, jeans, shorts, etc. while I am in Europe. I build a wardrobe of separates around the color black and mix and match, depending on the weather and where I am going.

I have spent more time in Italy than anywhere else in the world and am frequently stopped and spoken to in Italian, which I take as a compliment. I imagine that my looks and coloring have a good bit to do with that, but so does the way I dress and the way I behave.

I am always proud to be recognized as an American and I would never try to act/dress as any other nationality. I am sure if I had been born in another country I would be equally as proud to be from that country. I have travelled around the world (literally) and have never been stolen from nor treated poorly. Of course I treat everyone I meet with respect, I smile and greet people with a hello or something similar. I also (no matter where I travel) never flash my money, don't wear much jewelry, don't carry many valuables and keep my id's close to me.

Excellent thread, especially since I leave for Paris tomorrow! I read a lot of good reminders and will probably pick up one of those passport/money things to wear around my neck in an airport shop.

Amused, you cracked me up...guess I do not need to ask how you got your cruisecritic name! My response is for you: When I am not traveling or if I am cruising, I tend to be loud and stand-out. When in unfamiliar territories, I look, I am aware of surroundings, I try to blend in and be respectful of the culture...except for a few things. If the gypsy children come up to me, I say something loud using garbled words that represent no language. I end up frightening the little tykes and they run away from me.

When I am really getting hounded because I was pegged as a tourist, then I pretend to not understand English, German, Dutch or any other language thrown out at me. Good acting skills are necessary for this. I shrug my shoulders, frown a bit, slowly shake my head no and have a confused look on my face.

This worked very well in Istanbul. While resting in a public square I just about had it with "come see my shop," "let me show you my carpets," "come drink tea with me," etc. etc. etc. nonstop! My sister and I finally just stopped talking. A vendor approached me and asked in English if I would like to go on a tour. I tilted my head and looked confused. He then asked me in German. I blankly stared back at him. He then asked me in some other language. I gave him an "I can't understand that one either look." He finally gives up and says in English with a Turkish accent, "You huv no idea vhat I am saying do you?" Before he walked away he exclaimed, "I vant to make luv to you!" My sister and I should have received an academy award because both of us held it together with our expression-less stares until he was far out of sight...

Coka

Don't know how true it is, but my good friend from London told me not to

wear capri pants. She said the Europeans laugh at American's who do.

She mentioned wearing dark or neutral clothes such as long pants or skirts. She said not to wear really bright clothes like lime green, hot pink, etc.

Excellent thread, especially since I leave for Paris tomorrow! I read a lot of good reminders and will probably pick up one of those passport/money things to wear around my neck in an airport shop.

Amused, you cracked me up...guess I do not need to ask how you got your cruisecritic name! My response is for you: When I am not traveling or if I am cruising, I tend to be loud and stand-out. When in unfamiliar territories, I look, I am aware of surroundings, I try to blend in and be respectful of the culture...except for a few things. If the gypsy children come up to me, I say something loud using garbled words that represent no language. I end up frightening the little tykes and they run away from me.

When I am really getting hounded because I was pegged as a tourist, then I pretend to not understand English, German, Dutch or any other language thrown out at me. Good acting skills are necessary for this. I shrug my shoulders, frown a bit, slowly shake my head no and have a confused look on my face.

This worked very well in Istanbul. While resting in a public square I just about had it with "come see my shop," "let me show you my carpets," "come drink tea with me," etc. etc. etc. nonstop! My sister and I finally just stopped talking. A vendor approached me and asked in English if I would like to go on a tour. I tilted my head and looked confused. He then asked me in German. I blankly stared back at him. He then asked me in some other language. I gave him an "I can't understand that one either look." He finally gives up and says in English with a Turkish accent, "You huv no idea vhat I am saying do you?" Before he walked away he exclaimed, "I vant to make luv to you!" My sister and I should have received an academy award because both of us held it together with our expression-less stares until he was far out of sight...

Coka

Coka,

Great Istanbul story. Loved it! LOL!!!

Have a fabulous time in Paris! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return.

Jane

She mentioned wearing dark or neutral clothes such as long pants or skirts. She said not to wear really bright clothes like lime green, hot pink, etc.

I've seen europeans wear them and I've seen Brits wear them so I don't agree with your friend.

Personally, I laugh at anyone in them (only to myself though). Personally, I think they look ridiculous on just about everyone.

I do agree with her that europeans tend to wear more neutral colors than amercians.

Coka

Funny story. When DW and I were in Montego Bay a few years back, we made the mistake of walking the 'hip strip', she in search of trinkets, and me in search of Cuban cigars.

Needless to say, we were swarmed with pimps and pushers, like mosquitos on a nudist. One guy was really persistant, and followed us for half a block, repeatedly telling me he could get anything I wanted, drugs, women, whatever. I finally stopped and got right in his face, saying I wasn't interested.

He looked up at me and asked, "What are you, a Priest?"

I thought very fast, and said "as a matter of fact I am."

After staring at him for a few seconds, he apologized and walked away. He must have told his buddies, because we weren't hassled the rest of the way. Both the wife and I made it back to Margaritaville unscathed, she without braids and me without drugs or prostitutes (but I DID get the cigars).

As for the rest of this thread, I can't understand why anybody would even try to disguise the fact that they are American. For me, it's a badge of honor, and I'm grateful to God for giving me blessing of being born in a land where freedom and opportunity are a birthright.

Merry Christmas!!!

Funny story. When DW and I were in Montego Bay a few years back, we made the mistake of walking the 'hip strip', she in search of trinkets, and me in search of Cuban cigars.

Needless to say, we were swarmed with pimps and pushers, like mosquitos on a nudist. One guy was really persistant, and followed us for half a block, repeatedly telling me he could get anything I wanted, drugs, women, whatever. I finally stopped and got right in his face, saying I wasn't interested.

He looked up at me and asked, "What are you, a Priest?"

I thought very fast, and said "as a matter of fact I am."

After staring at him for a few seconds, he apologized and walked away. He must have told his buddies, because we weren't hassled the rest of the way. Both the wife and I made it back to Margaritaville unscathed, she without braids and me without drugs or prostitutes (but I DID get the cigars).

As for the rest of this thread, I can't understand why anybody would even try to disguise the fact that they are American. For me, it's a badge of honor, and I'm grateful to God for giving me blessing of being born in a land where freedom and opportunity are a birthright.

Merry Christmas!!!

Oops. This was me... Forgot this infernal machine was logged in under DW's Nom De Plume!!!

It's very difficult for a tourist not to look like one. Even if you dress like the locals, they don't walk around with maps and cameras!

About the white tennis shoes. Years ago, I was wearing them (for comfort, of course!). I wanted to see the new Marriott on the Champs Elysee. Would you believe the doorman didn't want to let me in! He said that I couldn't come in with sneakers!!!! Well, that was the last time I wore them for anything else but tennis!!!!

About shorts. That really is an American thing! In my city, I don't think too many locals would go downtown in shorts. ..maybe tailored linen Bermudas...possibly if it's really hot...but not in a shleppy getup.

About pickpockets. In Florence, the gypsies approached my husband. I yelled at them and they left.

My husband has zippo. Nothing in his pockets. Just his obvious camera! I take the minimum cash for the day and two credit cards ( I have had experiences of non-working cards!). The rest I leave in the safe. I wear no good jewellery. I don't travel with my engagement or wedding rings. So far so good.

We don't usually travel in the summer, so I wear a lightweight purse across my shoulder. It's in front, not on the side. I wear a hoodie (or something else that's soft), so that when it warms up during the day, I can tie it around my waist. This way it either covers the purse entirely or at least blocks it.

Having said all this, even in my own safe neighbourhood, purses have been stolen. Not too long ago, a friend was having lunch in our local (very local and safe, we would think)mall. Her purse was on the floor. When she looked for it, it was gone. Nowhere is 100% safe.

I don't think it's necessary to dress like locals. Just use common sense and be aware....and enjoy!

Don't feel bad. I was nicely dressed, made up, and carrying an expensive, but subtle, designer handbag and was not allowed into "the" fancy hotel in Monte Carlo. DH (in an Armani sports jacket and dress pants) and I thought it would be a nice spot for a drink but the doorman waved us away as if we were the lowest of the low. I didn't even make it up the steps! I can speak enough French to get by in most places but couldn't figure out what he was saying to me.

We still can't figure that one out. Honestly, who would you want in your bar, me quietly drinking a nice white wine, or Paris Hilton and Britney Spears without underwear and not paying their bill?

Viv

I don't want to be rude to any national group, but British people laughing at North Americans for how they dress is more than ironic. The reason I LOVE Britain is you can get by with a dowdy dress, sturdy shoes, and a sweater and look like a local. Or the Queen, for that matter!

Viv

Why does Sally Forth sound familiar? Is she a cartoon character?

We have been refused entry in several hotels. In Sorrento, the Exelsior Victoria (or whatever it is called) isn't even 5 star and they wouldn't let us in. In Capri, after hiking around the island, we arrived at the Quississana (sp?) and I was dying to see it...they wouldn't let us in! I think these doormen get a high from enacting their "power".

I was shopping yesterday...upscale stores...European "name" and expensive imports. Saw suits with capri length pants. Personally, I don't like the "cut-off" look, but they are out there for shoppers to buy.

Archived