New cruiser has a few questions

love2fish

Hello,

My husband and I will be taking our very first (5-night) cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas in June to celebrate our anniversary. We have a balcony cabin and I"m very excited just to watch the wind blow by with my DH. ;)

Anyway, after reading all of the info. at the RCCL website and posts here, I have a few questions. Any insight given would be greatly appreciated.

1. I would love to have fresh flowers in our cabin during our trip, however I'm really not interested in paying the $30-$50 for the arrangements that RCCL has available to order. I saw that there is a "flower cart" on the ship. I'm wondering where it is located, what types of flowers are available and the price. I would also like to know that if I would ask for a vase from the steward, if they would deliver one (for use only) to our cabin?

2. I have read the many posts regarding alcohol on ships. I'm wondering if we will be able to order a bottle of wine and have it delivered to our cabin?

3. What night will be formal night on a 5 day cruise?

4. Will we be able to order dinner (via room service) and eat on our balcony? Do you think there will be enough room on the balcony to do this?

This is all I have for now! Thanks so much to all who respond. :)

Hello and welcome to cruising. I can help you with a few of your questions...

Yes there is a flower cart...usually located near purser area (front desk), not sure of price, if you are nice (tip) I'm sure cabin steward can find a vase for you.

I know you can take glasses of wine to your cabin...does RCI know it is your anniversary? They may let you take a bottle back...not 100% sure.

I know you can order room service and I am almost positive you would be able to enjoy it on your balcony. I don't think you can get what others get in the main dining room.....but you never know.

Formal night will probably be the 2nd or 3rd night.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!! :D

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Yes, RCCL does know it's our anniversary. In fact, our travel agent told me that we will be getting a free cake one of the evenings we will be in the dining room. (I think this was suppose to be a "surprise" but I questioned the notation on our reservation and she told me but my DH doesn't know.;) )

When do you think we'll know when formal night is? Will we not know until we get our documents right before the cruise?

I know I'm really excited for this trip. I hope a cruise doesn't turn out to be a mistake. My husband is terrified of going to Mexico. I think he feels we'll be mugged or something. If we enjoy it enough, the next time we can take our son.

The flowers they sell on the cart are not reasonably priced. You may be better off ordering them from the website.

You can order meals from the dining room during their normal hours. If you want to order during main seating you'll need to place your order within 30 mins of the dining room opening. Same for second seating. If you take the coffee table from the cabin out on the balcony you should have room to eat out there.

Formal night is usually the first full day of the cruise (day 2)

You can order a full bottle of wine and enjoy it in your cabin or dining room etc. The best bet would be to order it from the dining room cocktail waiter. If you'd like you can also have them cork the remaining wine and hold the bottle and enjoy the rest at your next meal. Additionally, you can pre-order the bottle online at rccl.com and have it delivered to your cabin-- the bottle will be waiting for you upon arrival.

You can pre-order wine and have it delivered to your stateroom or the dining room. You do this in "Gifts and Gear" - the same place as the flowers. We have ordered two bottles already for our New Year's cruise to be delivered to our stateroom. You can also buy a wine package - usually, they have a table set up at the dock or once aboard ship, on the same deck as the dining rooms.

Don't worry about Mexico - it's a wonderful place. If you really are concerned, take a shore excursion through the ship. I don't know your itinerary, but there are wonderful shore excursions. You can view and book the shore excursions on line before your trip if you want to.

Cruising is a great and wonderfully carefree vacation. I remember the excitement and nervousness of our first one to this day. We've gone on enough now that I can't even remember how many!

Be aware that while the ship is moving it will be extremely windy on your balcony--making eating out there more of a hassle than a romantic interlude! (Think napkins blowing around, hair blowing in your mouth, etc...)

If you are in a smaller cabin, and even some JS's, the table is pretty tiny. More like a side table than a dining table!

Thank you everyone! Your answers have been a big help. Maybe I'll just forgo the idea of having dinner on our cabin balcony...just trying to keep it romantic.

If I would order the flowers directly from RCI, why wouldn't I be able to take them with me at the end of the cruise seeing I'm the one who bought them?

Thanks again!!:D

You should be able to bring a bottle of champagne in your carry-on luggage (I've done this numerous times with no problem). Then, you don't have to worry about a corkscrew. Your cabin steward will keep it on ice for you.

If dinner on the balcony won't work, how about a romantic breakfast?

T

My husband is terrified of going to Mexico. I think he feels we'll be mugged or something.

Cozumel? Don't worry. It is very tourist oriented and organized well for cruise ship crowds. There are taxi stands by the cruise docks with signs telling you exactly how much it is to go to specific locations. They have it down.

You can take a shore excursion, or do what we did on our last cruise. We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park and spent the day. It's a beautiful well kept facility with great snorkeling. There is a sandy beach area with a wall where the water starts with (slippery) steps down into the water. It's very rocky in the water with nice coral and tons of fish. There is a decent snack bar, lockers, snorkel rental, changing rooms, etc. A very clean and safe place.

On our cruise next week we'll be taking a taxi to Paradise Beach, a little farther down the coast. Many good comments here about that place. Looking forward to it.

I also agree with the comment about eating dinner on your balcony. Out at sea you'll find that it's very windy outside while the cruise ship is cruising.

Here's an alternative idea:

On our last cruise (Grand Princess) we had a very early shore excursion at Costa Maya, and we needed to eat something before the breakfast buffet opened. We arranged for early room service and had bagels, coffee, and OJ on our balcony. The ship was already docked (or about to dock), so the wind was not a problem. Room service/early breakfast on your balcony can be very romantic. ;)

You'll want to eat your evening meals in the dining room anyway. The waitstaff is fantastic and every meal is special. :)

You are not allowed to bring flowers that have been to a foreign country into the US. A cruise ship goes for other places ie Mexico and they do not want any new critters coming into the country without a passport:D . Your flowers may have picked up a hitchhiker or two.

You should be able to bring a bottle of champagne in your carry-on luggage (I've done this numerous times with no problem). Then, you don't have to worry about a corkscrew. Your cabin steward will keep it on ice for you.

If dinner on the balcony won't work, how about a romantic breakfast?

T

Sorry if I sound stupid, but do the airlines still have the rule about no liquids on board? If so, I wouldn't be able to bring the bottle with me in my carry on bag, would I?

You are not allowed to bring flowers that have been to a foreign country into the US. A cruise ship goes for other places ie Mexico and they do not want any new critters coming into the country without a passport:D . Your flowers may have picked up a hitchhiker or two.

oh, okay. Now I understand. ;) Thanks.

Room service/early breakfast on your balcony can be very romantic. ;)

You'll want to eat your evening meals in the dining room anyway. The waitstaff is fantastic and every meal is special. :)

Thanks for the tip. We'll have to try that. :)

As for the flowers, we have a ritual that my husband always visits the flower cart the first evening and has a small rose arrangement made. I was recently told that since they are not in dirt that I can bring them home - which I did on our cruise earlier this month. (we did not visit Mexico so perhaps the rules are different for a different sialings) The selection is nice bit not as varied as what you can get from RCCL on-line. No need to get the vase from the steward as the arrangements ( with the exception of a single wrapped rose ) will come in a vase.

We have often had a bottle of wine delivered to the cabin or dining room with no problem, I ordered a bottle of the RCCL site for my daughter who is sailing the Enchantment next week.

As others have mentioned, the balcony tables are low and small. We enjoy a light breakfast on the balcony but cannot imagine juggling dinner.

Have a wonderful cruise

Marci

Archived