coffee lovers question

snl

I'm getting confused about the "syrup". Generally syrup involves sugar. Is this stuff sweet? I sure hope not. Maybe concentrate is the word everyone means?
It is concentrated coffee that is diluted when served; it is not sweet nor does it have cream or milk in it. (I have a hard time understanding why people put cream and sugar in coffee but I guess some like coffee-flavored sugar or milk.) Yes, it's cost-cutting but it also saves (and helps us all by keeping cruise costs down) by not having to store and then dispose of tons of used grounds. For most passengers, it's completely acceptable.

Where do you buy a French Press traveling mug?

Also for everyone's knowledge, Princess policy does not allow any heating elements in the room because they can cause fires (don't kill the messenger, me that is). That's why I like this idea of French Press traveling mugs. I love Starbucks Extra Bold but will drink Concentrate Coffee (Syrup, no sugar added) in the Horizon Court (don't like to but will sacrifice for a wonderful cruise ).

From one who needs his coffee fix in the morning.

Dollar Bill

Here are a few idea for French Presses. Just click on the picture and it will take you to the WEB site.

664265Prd.jpg

985353.jpg

Guess we are in the minority. Just came back from the Coral, and we(4 of us) all were impressed at the improvement in the coffee. We were on the Coral last year in Alaska, and yes, the coffee was not good. We are coffee drinkers, and we did enjoy the coffee this time. Something changed for the better.

Guess we are in the minority. Just came back from the Coral' date=' and we(4 of us) all were impressed at the improvement in the coffee. We were on the Coral last year in Alaska, and yes, the coffee was not good. We are coffee drinkers, and we did enjoy the coffee this time. Something changed for the better.[/quote']

What kind of coffee are they using now?? Is it still the concentrate but another kind???

I agree with Porkys2 and Pam from MA, the coffee on the Crown is fine. It tastes fresh and is not too strong like Starbucks coffee is. I don't care for Starbucks. I compare the coffee to that of an unflavored Dunkin Donuts, WAWA or Wegman's coffee. If you enjoy Starbucks, than this does not compare to the flavor you enjoy. It is all a matter of personal taste. I also enjoyed the coffee on CB.

I'm going to offer a differing opinion here...

My wife and I are big coffee drinkers at home, and only buy a locally roasted, premium brand. But contrary to the reports of "awful" coffee on this board, we found that the coffee wasn't bad at all. It certainly didn't compare with what we make at home, but it was fine. We usually had a pot delivered by room service in the morning, and also had a cup after dinner in the dining room. During other times of day, we'd go to the International Cafe and use our coffee card for an espresso or cup of the Jamaican Blue Mountain, which were both very good. Also contrary to other opinions here, we didn't think that the plain-old brewed coffee at the International cafe was any better than the coffee that came with room service.

I second this opinion.

I just recieved my coffee press in the mail. I bought the "Big Sky Bistro"

Wow!!! Thats the best coffee, just as good as my coffee out of the coffee maker. Now I never have to settle for nasty coffee to keep my self awake. I work nights, this is great answer for princess coffee and hospital coffee.

Thanks,

Tammy

Wow!!! Thats the best coffee, just as good as my coffee out of the coffee maker. Now I never have to settle for nasty coffee to keep my self awake. I work nights, this is great answer for princess coffee and hospital coffee.

Thanks,

Tammy

Thanks,

Tammy

You are welcomed. Although I am not a coffee drinker, my wife to be is. I will probable buy one for her and bring along some Kona coffee for her to enjoy in the morning.

Another alternative is to buy the Princess "coffee card." It's $24 + 15% tip. It entitles you to 15 specialty coffees -- card is punched 15 times. In addition, if you show the card at the La Patiserrie bar, you can get free brewed coffee. We just returned from the Coral Princess. Based on information from CC, we bought the coffee card and each morning I got a large (equivalent to Starbucks "vente") size cup of coffee and refilled it free before going into the dining room for breakfast. Without the coffee card, the coffee is $1.25 a cup. We used the punches for after dinner espresso, etc. Unlike the soda card, it is good for multiple people.

I had absolutely no problem with the free coffee on the Crown. We had 14 people traveling with us and none of them thought the coffee was terrible.

You can also buy a coffee card for the gourmet coffees - that is easier than taking a pot with you.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I am on a cruise, I want to be pampered - having to make my own coffee just doesn't do it for me.

Thanks to everyone that recommended me to get a french press. My DD just gave me a 6 cup french press for Christmas. So I'm ready for my next cruise and Starbucks Extra Bold strong coffee. Although I can drink the coffee on the cruise, I need my Starbucks fix :eek: at least once a week.:eek:

Good to the last drop (coffee that is).:D
Happy Coffee Drinking,
Bill

[quote name='dforeigner']
[COLOR=black]You are welcomed. Although I am not a coffee drinker, my wife to be is. I will probable buy one for her and bring along some Kona coffee for her to enjoy in the morning.[/COLOR]
[/quote] Hey, if you are looking for a good source for "inexpensive" Kona coffee (ha ha), you might want to see if you have a Trader Joe's near you. They have it for $19.95/lb, I believe. While that sounds pricey, do a quick search online and see how much places in Kona are charging and it won't sound so bad! (I was seeing it for $26-27 and up...) Just a tip. I was thinking about doing this myself for a splurge.

[quote name='TeardropAway']Hey, if you are looking for a good source for "inexpensive" Kona coffee (ha ha), you might want to see if you have a Trader Joe's near you. They have it for $19.95/lb, I believe. While that sounds pricey, do a quick search online and see how much places in Kona are charging and it won't sound so bad! (I was seeing it for $26-27 and up...) Just a tip. I was thinking about doing this myself for a splurge.[/quote]

I appreciate the tip. In San Antonio, there is an HEB Central Market where we find Kona coffee for about that same price. Again, thank you.

that coffee card sounds like the way to go to me.

I don't want to be making coffee every morning on vacation. that's what I do at home. Plus then cleaning the coffee pot and grounds, I sure don't expect my cabin steward to do that for me; I don't feel that special.

thanks for the detail about the coffee card! One card should do for the week since you can get the reg coffee refills. CC is the greatest!

[B][COLOR=magenta]DH's greatest fear was that he wouldn't have a decent cup of coffee during our Crown cruise. Well, he got the coffee card and was a permenant figure at the International Cafe. The Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee they brew there is excellent and he was quite satisfied. He normally lives on Starbucks at home, so for him to say this means a lot. The free coffee elsewhere on the ship was just ok, after sampling the Int'l Cafe brew. So relax and enjoy the cruise...with good coffee.:) [/COLOR][/B]

Archived