Some LA area questions for after our cruise?

mattR

What car rental company's are close to San Pedro pier?

How long should it take us to get to Knott's Berry Farm on a Friday morning from San Pedro?

How long should it take us to get to Universal Studio's area from Knott's Friday evening?

Any suggestions on hotels in the Universal Studios area?

How long should it take us to get to LAX from Universal on a Sunday evening?

Thanks for any info!!

How long should it take us to get to Knott's Berry Farm on a Friday morning from San Pedro?

How long should it take us to get to Universal Studio's area from Knott's Friday evening?

Thanks for any info!!

You probably will hit rush hour traffic going from SP to Buena Park where KBF is. May take an hour or more.

Universal Studios is quite the distance from KBF. KBF is in Orange County and Universal Studios is in the San Fernando Valley part of LA county. If you go on mapquest, you'll be able to see this. If you go up the 405 freeway North, you'll take the 101 freeway going east (I think it's listed as south on the signs, though). There should be an offramp for Universal Studios.

Since I live here, I haven't stay int the hotels there. Been to a high school reunion at the Sheraton there. I'm guessing it's pricey.

Returning to LAX will be the opposite route: the 101 west (or North) to the 405 south. If it's holiday time, it'll be really crowded going to the airport. Otherwise, probably not bad going to the airport, but you should pad the time. the concierge at the hotel should advise you as when to leave.

Enterprise is the only close car rental agency. They are across the street from the cruise ship parking lot.

Late morning to mid-day from San Pedro to KBF on a Friday should take you about 45 minutes (if there are no wrecks).

Friday evenings traffic is VERY bad. You might want to stay in the KBF area and drive up to Universal Studios on Saturday morning (although that can also be a bit heavy). The shortest route is up the 5 fwy. (north) to the 101 east. Google Maps says 42 minutes, but I would plan at least an hour, more like and hour and a half to 2 hours if you are doing it Friday evening.

Plan on 45-60 minutes from Burbank to LAX on a Sunday afternoon or evening. Don't forget the time to turn in your rental car and get a shuttle to the airport.

Hey mattR! I'm just going to answer these in my own way, specifically...

None are right at the pier, but they will pick you up if you call and make reservations...

Off the top of my head, try Enterprise first...

It all depends on what way you go, and what you mean by "morning"...

If it's after 10 AM, and all conditions are good, you could get there in 30 minutes. If there are problems or traffic, then 60 minutes would be the absolute most time it would take...

Okay, there are too many variables in your question here...

What time are thinking of leaving Knott's and driving up to Universal?

Major difference depending on your plans...

If you are leaving after 8 PM (Knott's to Universal), then maybe 45 minutes...

If it's a Friday earlier, then expect anywhere from 1 hour to 90 minutes...

(I'll tell you how to get around the traffic)...;)

Tons! But, you need to give me more specifics on your plans...

You have a rental car...

Do you want to stay right near Universal?

Do you want to be about 10 to 15 minutes driving, but stay in a cool Hollywood hotel?

Are you a couple, or a family with kids?

What do you ideally want to do from the Friday night (then Saturday I guess at Universal) then Sunday (evening?) back to LAX?

You have time to do a lot of different things depending on who you are and what your interests are, and what you want to do...

I could recommend great hotels for your specific family and situation, but only if I know more of your ideal plans...

Ahah! But, you've got to know where you want to be and what you're going to do...

In general, Sunday evening, let's say...

Universal area, or Hollywood area, you'll be 45 minutes to LAX...

But also, again, (sorry) specifics matter here, what time do you mean by evening?

Thanks for any info!!

Got lots of info, and can be a lot of help, but again, I need more specifics...

Let me know...

CJW:D

Thanks for the info here is more info:)

We are a family Me(32)Wife(32)Son(9)daughter(4)

Hey mattR! I'm just going to answer these in my own way, specifically...

None are right at the pier, but they will pick you up if you call and make reservations...

Off the top of my head, try Enterprise first...

I wnet to Enterprises website but couldn't enter a one way rental? Could call them I'm sure to get the info but wasn't sure of all my choices.

It all depends on what way you go, and what you mean by "morning"...

If it's after 10 AM, and all conditions are good, you could get there in 30 minutes. If there are problems or traffic, then 60 minutes would be the absolute most time it would take...

I would think we would be getting off the ship around 10am so this is good:)

Okay, there are too many variables in your question here...

What time are thinking of leaving Knott's and driving up to Universal?

Major difference depending on your plans...

If you are leaving after 8 PM (Knott's to Universal), then maybe 45 minutes...

If it's a Friday earlier, then expect anywhere from 1 hour to 90 minutes...

(I'll tell you how to get around the traffic)...;)

We will spend the day at Knott's and have supper will have to see what time Knotts closes that day just wanted to catch a hotel in the Universal area so that we don't have to pack up in the morning.

Tons! But, you need to give me more specifics on your plans...

You have a rental car...

Do you want to stay right near Universal?

Do you want to be about 10 to 15 minutes driving, but stay in a cool Hollywood hotel?

Are you a couple, or a family with kids?

What do you ideally want to do from the Friday night (then Saturday I guess at Universal) then Sunday (evening?) back to LAX?

You have time to do a lot of different things depending on who you are and what your interests are, and what you want to do...

I could recommend great hotels for your specific family and situation, but only if I know more of your ideal plans...

I don't care to do a bunch of driving so would probably perfer something very close to Universal even something with a shuttle to the park. Sunday depending on what hotel we get near LAX we might go mid afternoon to spen some time at the pool ect. Our flight leaves wearly Monday morning.

What other suggestions do you have for this area on a Sunday afternoon?

Ahah! But, you've got to know where you want to be and what you're going to do...

In general, Sunday evening, let's say...

Universal area, or Hollywood area, you'll be 45 minutes to LAX...

But also, again, (sorry) specifics matter here, what time do you mean by evening?

Got lots of info, and can be a lot of help, but again, I need more specifics...

Let me know...

CJW:D

Thanks for the info

Okay, so giving you some options here...

If you decide to stay in Buena Park for the night and drive to Universal in the morning...

These are good:

Radisson Knott's Berry

http://www.radisson.com/buenaparkca

Courtyard Anaheim/Buena Park

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/SNABP

Now if going to Universal area, and you don't want to do a lot of driving, there's not a ton of good options, but this could be the best...

The Sportsman's Lodge

http://www.slhotel.com/

http://www.sportsmenslodge.com/

This is an historical hotel (Rat Pack hung out here in the 60s), and they have free shuttles to and from Universal (they'll take you and pick you up whenever you call)...

Great pool area, and scenic grounds to just walk and stroll around...

There's also a great Hollywood hangout deli (Jerry's Deli) open 24 hours a couple of doors down... (great for breakfast, get's the kids one of "The Yummy"s...)

Once at Universal also, there is the CityWalk outside the actual park with lots of good restaurants, stores, and enough visual excitement for kids.

Then, there is the "Red Line", which is our new public train system.

One stop south, and you are right in the heart of Hollywood Blvd.

Go west and you are walking on the stars and headed to the Chinese Theater...

Just ideas...

For a hotel near LAX with kids...

I'm going to copy and paste from another recommendation I just gave, because it suits your family as well...

Two suggestions:

Marina Del Ray Hotel

http://www.marinadelreyhotel.com/

This would be if you want more quiet relaxing and "strolling" day...

Walk through Fisherman's Village for small boutique shopping, restaurants and views...

Lots of boats to see, and kids like Fisherman's Village, and there is also a park on the waterfront...

http://www.visitthemarina.com/

or

Jamaica Bay Inn

http://www.bestwestern-jamaicabay.com/

Small quiet little beach right out front, good for stolling and hanging out even if it's cold...

This beach is called "Mother's Beach" by the locals, because it is such a nice gentle beach, that it is perfect for kids and families...

Then, lots of great restaurants around (walking distance), and

1/2 mile walk to Venice Beach.

You could spend the entire day walking up Venice Beach, shopping, sightseeing, etc. and get to the Santa Monica Pier in about a 30 minute walk.

http://www.venicebeach.com/

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

Just my two cents...

Hope any of this helps...

CJW

PS These hotels are literally a 10 minute drive at the most, right down Lincoln Blvd to LAX, you don't even have to get on the Freeway, zip zip and you're at the airport

Archived