What was your all time favorite excursion?

cruisinqt

I have 2 favorites:

Stingray City on Cockatoo Catamaran - I had done this previously on another boat and there was no comparison to this trip. When they unfurled the sails and we took off it was absolutely marvelous. It was a smaller group as well and everyone that wanted had plenty of time to hold and feed (and kiss if you wanted to) the stingrays.

America's Cup Regatta in St Martin is also awesome - You get to be part of the crew in the "race". It gets really competitive too. We've done this one twice.

Terri

I wonder why there was only one cold weather excursion that was a favorite. Is Alaska not as much fun? I was thinking about an Alaskan cruise but now it is looking like the warm weather Caribbean itinerary is a little more fun. I have done Caribbean cruises, but nothing else. I was thinking about a cruise to Alaska, Hawaii, or the Bahamas. But if the excursions on the caribbean cruises are so memorable, maybe I should just stick to that. I guess I'll just keep reading your comments and give it some thought. Thanks for all of your info. on your favorite excursions. It has helped me a lot. Keep them coming, I still haven't decided where to go yet.

I wonder why there was only one cold weather excursion that was a favorite. Is Alaska not as much fun? I was thinking about an Alaskan cruise but now it is looking like the warm weather Caribbean itinerary is a little more fun. I have done Caribbean cruises, but nothing else. I was thinking about a cruise to Alaska, Hawaii, or the Bahamas. But if the excursions on the caribbean cruises are so memorable, maybe I should just stick to that. I guess I'll just keep reading your comments and give it some thought. Thanks for all of your info. on your favorite excursions. It has helped me a lot. Keep them coming, I still haven't decided where to go yet.

My guess is that maybe most of the folks posting have never been to Alaska or my bet would be those excursions would hands down, be listed! I've been to Eastern and Western Caribbean and to Alaska- Alaska is just breathtaking and no replacing it with a beach or snorkle trip. Just my opinion though :)

By far it was the Royal Swim with Dolphins in Cozumel! We booked this on our own about 6 months in advance (in keeping with the common denominator on this thread!) and it was absolutely worth ever penny we spent for it! Bobbi even bought the video which we watch frequently.

Our very close 2nd favorite excursion would have been the private tour we took of Ocho Rios. This was also booked in advance with Peat Taylor and it was absolutely awesome! For only $30 per person, he picks you up at the pier, takes you to the falls (the cost of which is INCLUDED in that $30pp he charges!), then you get one of their guides. When you're done there, Peat picks you up and will take you wherever you want to go. It is less expensive than the cruise line's tour and you go where you want. If all you want to do is the falls, Peat will take you back to the pier. But if you really ant to see some of jamaica, then let Peat take you around the countryside. We highly recommend taking his tour. You'll see the richest as well as the poorest parts of Ocho Rios. Peat's also very entertaining. If you tour with him, request his favorite Christmas Carol. But, do NOT try to sing along! And it doesn't matter what time of year it is. He'll gladly sing it for you in the middle of summer. This was our favorite excursion because we wanted to see what tourists normally don't see.

Anything diving related jumps to the top of the list. Diving in Roatan and Cozumel are unbelievable! Outside of diving, I would say that my favorite excursion was the dunebuggy / snorkle tour in Cozumel. For wild life and Mayan culture, Lamani in Belize is very good.

I totally agree with Randy!! Carlos & Charlie's is the best "excursion" in Cozumel. Plus, I have experienced it with him & getting back to the ship was almost as hilarious as the bar itself!!!!

My second favorite is the America's Cup Regatta in St. Martin. It was totally awesome!!! And coming in a close third is the Stingray Sandbar tour in Grand Cayman!

I have to say I liked the sting rays also, but my all time best was the swim with the dolphins in Cozumel. It was clean and an experience we will never forget. Book directly with Discovey Cove and save a lot of money. Cab ride is only $6 for a family of four from the boat. Spent a good part of the day at the park there. My 10 and 13 year old loved it also.

Cathy

• 4 weeks later...

Ya'll are bringing back some fun and NOT so fun memories.....:eek:

Carlos & Charlies's was a hoot in Cozumel.....wish we had more time! I think I had "pick me" some where on my person as I was constantly being "harrased"...having a cockroach thrown on me (more than once) a whistle blown in my ear, being chased by the spray of a h2o extingusher. I had to give up eating to pay attention to who was coming after me next!! Okay, everyone up on your chair and do the chicken dance :p.

We also did the Stingrays in Grand Cayman and I had my first ever panic attack :eek: . No kidding, I was just as excited as everyone until I got into the water and one slithered against me. I don't know what happened but I couldn't stop screaming and couldn't get out of that water fast enough! Slipped on the steps getting back into the boat and skinned by shin. I thought my heart was going to come out of my throat! I have never experienced such in my life. I was fine sitting on the boat and watching everyone else. My family loves to tell the story :rolleyes:

We are cruising the Mexican Riveria....can't wait to see what fun we have at those ports ;)

My guess is that maybe most of the folks posting have never been to Alaska or my bet would be those excursions would hands down, be listed! I've been to Eastern and Western Caribbean and to Alaska- Alaska is just breathtaking and no replacing it with a beach or snorkle trip. Just my opinion though :)

I loved Glacier Bay and visiting Juneau and Sitka!

Ziplining thru the rainforest in Costa Rica! Not planned through Carnival, approached taxi driver about the adventure. One of our fellow cruisers had done all the research before the cruise. WOW! Truly unbelievable! 100 feet above the ground in the canopy of the rainforest. Only for the brave.

It appears the non ship excursions are better and more fun. I guess I am a little leary of scheduling a trip in a foreign country of the internet. How can you be sure they are valid and safe???

Has anyone done any parasailing at any of these ports??

My ship will be visiting Belzie, Cozmel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya.

Thanks

Rudgie99:D

I'm a little afraid to book offship too, and hey, we are sailing this weekend, hurricane season...may not even make it to the port.

As far as Belize, we did the shark ray alley snorkel tour--wow. Scared the crap out of us a wee bit. In 12 feet of water, miles from anywhere, my husband got cut on coral, was bleeding into the water and we didn't even know it. Meanwhile we were snorkeling with the most exciting wild fish you could ever want to snorkel with--huge rays and seemingly friendly sharks. Also had our two kids with us. It was absolutely beautiful, solitary, and stressful, all at once. Once in a lifetime, yes. Since my husband was bleeding, just glad we got out without any shark bites! Then we went to San Pedro, on a nearby island, which was cool--very caribbean in flavor, not touristy, but also primitive. But on the way back to the ship, our "speedboat" ran out of gas and we nearly missed the ship, having to be towed back by someone who happened to come across us. Carnival takes no responsibility for excursions they book....keep that in mind.

I'm trying to decide whether to do our own thing on St. Thomas and St. Martin...seems there is so much to do.

Have fun.

b.

We booked with coralbreezeunlimited and it was awesome- first we did the ray and shark swim. then our to the reef for more snorkeling, then lunch at a bar/rest in Caye Caulker.
Those guys were so nice and took great care of us- our tour had maybe 20 people as compared to the ships which was just jam packed.
Lunch was delicios too.
visit their website at [url]www.coralbreezeunlimited.com[/url]
Cheaper than the ships too!

My favorite excursion that's hard to choose just one. So I will list in some sort of order.

1) Dunns River Falls with Peat Taylor and Margaritanille-Jamaica
2) Swim with the Stringrays-Grand Cayman
3) Swim with the Dolphins-Nassua
4) Swim with the Sealions-Cozumel
5) ST. Thomas with Godfrey

I can't wait to go to Alaska & Hawaii

Our absolute best cruise day ever was the day we spent on St. Johns. We got off the ship in St. Thomas, took a taxi to Red Hook, caught the ferry to Cruz Bay on St. Johns, took a private taxi tour of the island and then spent a couple of glorious hours at Trunk Bay, the most beautiful spot I've ever seen. Took the ferry back to the main shopping area, shopped a while and returned to the ship exhilarated about our adventure. We can't wait to retun to St. Johns in January!

These were all spectacular, not just great!

Flying over the ice field in a chopper and landing on a glacier in Juneau.
Los Veranos zip lines above the Puerto Vallarta jungle.
Whale watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau.
Stingray City with Capt. Marvin in Grand Cayman. (before it got crowded)
Goff's Caye in Belize. (excursions aren't real organized in Belize)

For those that haven't been to Alaska, you must consider it for your next cruise. If you're worried about taking a cool weather cruise, pick a ship with an indoor, heated pool!

I also loved going to Everything Cool Beach in St. Maarten. It was such a relaxing and fun atmosphere.(It is no longer there) I went to Everything Cool on my own. I didn't take the excursion.
What happened to everythings cool it was always a great time!!!!!!!! That is sad news!!!

I loved the off road jeep safari in Martinque

• 4 weeks later...
crusinqt: Alaska has a lot of great excursions. In Juneau, we went river rafting just below the medenhall glacier-what fun, even with the cold glacier water! In Ketchikan-we took the duck boats. We did our land tour, then drove right into the water where we became a boat! Sitka-we did kayaking. Our glacier helicopter trip was cancelled due to weather but that would have been great.
It is hard to pick out the best excursions: In Bora Bora, we snorkled with the black tipped sharks;in Moorea, we swam with the dolphins; in Grand Cayman, we did the stingrays; in Ocho Rios, we climbed Dunn's River falls; and in Cozumel, we did a great jeep ride!
How can you pick when all the excursions are so different. They are all fun!!

I would have to say it was our very 1st excursion in Grand caymen on our 1st cruise. I had arranged to use Captain Crosby to see stingray city and 2 other snorkle stops. when we got to his boat I was told it would just be me and my wife on the boat that day. How cool is that to have a 47 ft sail boat all to our selfs. We got some looks when we pulled up to the sandbar and there were 20 to 50 people in every other boat there. I am assuming they thought I had booked it privately :D . But we were just lucky Captain Crosby said he had 27 people the next day booked. He gave us a wonderful private tour.

[quote name='alprzy']
Probably the best was in Roatan/Honduras, not an organized excursion, but we had read through these boards that schools in this third world area had a real problem attaining school supplies. A group of us got together from these boards and brought supplies with us and we wanted to deliver them to a school when we got there. My wife, being a teacher, got her school to donate over 100 pounds worth of supplies(rulers, pencils, pens, chalk, paper clips, markers, pads etc) Yes, I did haul these onto the ship using a portable hand truck. So happens one night at dinner, our waiter informed us he was from Roatan. We told him about our plan and he told us the school he went to up in the hills and actually gave us the name of the principal to contact. Most of the schools near the docks get the bulk of the generosity, outer areas really suffer.
So when we got off the ship, we located our guy from Fosters Resort, where we were heading for some snorkling after our school visit (also booked off the internet, and just AWESOME). He was an owner of the resort, the son, and we asked him if on the way he could drop by this school we had written on a cocktail napkin. He said sure, it was about 20 minutes out of the way. So the 6 of us piled into his pickup truck with our supplies and headed out to the school. Let me tell you, my 2 kids who were with us (14 and 17 at the time)got a good lesson in the way the rest of the world lives and learns. It was a sad place to go. Kids from 6 to 18 all in the same classroom, very meager facilities. We located the principal and offered our sincere wishes to help, as little as it was. The school kids and staff were estatic. I must admit, it made the whole trip, actually the whole summer. My kids still have a finer appreciation of life as we know it, and I don't think they'll ever forget it. Thanks to the great people on these boards, we hooked up, organized as a group and made a small difference.

This cruise was on the NCL Sun/Exotic Western Carribean. Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan Honduras, and Cozumel.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo]
That is one of the...NO...that is [U]absolutely [/U] the best thing I have ever read on these boards...that is AWESOME! What a great example you set for your kids...and what a great lesson they learned as well. Reading that just made my day...and will probably make the next few days as well!! What a great couple you and your wife are!![/COLOR]

Archived