Any tips/advice on how to afford cruising with a VERY tight budget?

smurd83

We fly from the Cleveland area once a year to go on the same itinerary you're booked on. Keep your eye on airfare out of Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Pittsburgh. This year we're actually flying out of Pittsburgh. Excursion-wise, you definitely can save money doing them on your own, and it's pretty easy. Check out the ports of call boards, read Frommer's and Fodor's. You can catch a cab on any of those islands to hit a beach for the day. On St. Thomas you can catch a cab then a ferry over to St. John for a beach, or to hike. Renting a car is another good option on most of the islands (would not recommend it on St. Lucia).

Jodi

Don't worry about the triangle.

Bermuda, San Juan and Miami

And everytime we pass through it I think if we disappear my bar bill would be gone. So I drink more. But we always return home and the bar bill is $$$$$$.

Book an inside cabin lower deck. Price is low.

You don't need a balcony or a suite.

The only time you need the room is to sleep and shower.

And an inside room is nice as when you turn off the lights you can not see your hand and if you get a mid ship room you will hardly feel the movement.

Haul your open soda onboard. Pack one suitcase with a few cases of soda or as you said you drink water, pack a few cases of water. Water onboard in a bottle will set you back $3.

We always ask for extra ice and an extra ice bucket and use that for drinking in the cabin as it is always cold.

If you get a drink get it in a regular glass versus a souvenior glass.

Head to the beach in many ports and you are looking at $10 - $15 for the ride.

In St. Thomas do get lift tickets and go to the top of the TRAM as the view is awesome.

We have the Royal Caribbean Credit Card. You earn 1 point for every dollar spent. You get 2 points for every dollar spent with RCCL.

Payback is decent.

Just for signing up you get 2500 points for free

If you buy gas, groceries then you may as well let those high prices give you something in return.

We did a 4 night with the points and paid $59 for taxes and our flight was $89 pp to Orlando from Michigan

ROYAL CARIBBEAN REWARDS

5,000con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Upgrade on a 3 or 4-night Bahamas or Baja sailing for 2 (interior stateroom to minimum available oceanview stateroom)*

$50 USD credit toward onboard purchases ie: Spa, Shore Excursions, Gift Shop, Bar, etc. (multiple onboard credit may be applied to a reservation if earned)

2 Royal Caribbean robes delivered onboardcon_bulletgray_ico.gifOnboard Commemorative Basket includes gourmet treats, champagne plus souvenir logo wine glasses and a 6"x8" frame

Royal Packet – 2 Royal Caribbean towels, cameras, and messenger bags delivered to your home

Royal Wear – 2 Royal Caribbean polo shirts and baseball caps delivered to your home

Upgrade on a 5 or 7-night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing for 2, September–May (interior stateroom to minimum available oceanview stateroom)

$150 USD cruise discount off any ship and itinerary

Onboard Grand Romance Package includes champagne, fresh flowers, gourmet appetizers, breakfast for 2 and mores.gif

Upgrade on a 5 or 7-night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing for 2 (oceanview stateroom to minimum available balcony excluding suites)

Upgrade on a 5 or 7-night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing for 2, June–August (interior stateroom to minimum available oceanview stateroom)

Free companion fare on a 3 or 4-night Bahamas or Baja sailing (minimum available oceanview stateroom)

s.gif50,000

Free 3 or 4-night Bahamas or Baja sailing for 2 (Minimum Available Oceanview stateroom)

$500 USD cruise discount off any ship and itinerary

Free companion fare on a 5 or 7-night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing (Minimum Available Oceanview stateroom)

Free 5 or 7-night Mexican Riviera or Caribbean sailing for 2 (Minimum Available Oceanview stateroom)*

Wow, thanks for the great information! I'm still afraid of getting a credit card though. I feel like if I have my check card, that should be all I really need, since I keep such a close eye on it and I know I won't overdraw..maybe once I have a steady job and steady income..

You'd recommend one of those over a frequent flyer miles reward credit card?

As usual, everyone on CC has such fantastic ways! Also, remember to check apples to apples with how you like to cruise. Flexibility is the key to doing what you want to do when you what to do it. There are several cruise lines which offer different options. It's just a matter of making a phone call.

Speaking of airfare, choosing an itinerary that leaves from Florida vs. Puerto Rico, for examle, will save some money. I think we saved about $350 per person in airfare by going out of Tampa.

I will always make sure I understand airfare costs associated with departure locations...

I'm from the Columbus area too (although in Athens for grad school right now). Ever since I'd been vigorously shopping for airfare to San Juan, I had forgotten about Southwest since they don't fly there. I'll have to keep them in mind! And I've never flown Jetblue, are they knew to Columbus?

P.S. - I can't stand the Cincinnati airport..too many luggage issues

yes they started in October, and I believe they do fly to San Juan, any flight from Columbus goes through NYC , I never flown jetblue but I believe they have free direct TV on all their flights, I am not sure if they come up on regular search engines you may have to go to their website directly.

Wow, thanks for the great information! I'm still afraid of getting a credit card though. I feel like if I have my check card, that should be all I really need, since I keep such a close eye on it and I know I won't overdraw..maybe once I have a steady job and steady income..

You'd recommend one of those over a frequent flyer miles reward credit card?

I fly at the most 3 round trips a year to mainly Florida.

I use my flying points to upgrade to business class.

As previous posters said many cruiselines offer the card.

You can buy Gift Certificates from RCCL and use them toward your cruise whenever it may be.

ASK SANTA

Someone else has written a very nice thread with a title something like "75 ways to save on a cruise" -- you'll find lots of details there, but the main concept in saving on a cruise is this: Accept the idea that just being on the cruise is a treat, and resist the temptation to "upgrade" that treat by spending more on this and that. We Americans are great "upgraders". First we just want the cruise . . . then we start thinking about the nicer cabin, a new dress for dinner, eating in the specialty restaurants, swimming with the dolphins, souveniers for everyone back home . . . it's just not necessary.

Aside from tips, it's very possible to have a great time on a cruise without spending ANYTHING. Your meals are paid. Your basic drinks are paid. Your entertainment is paid. In port you can spend as much or as little as you wish, and still have a great time.

If you want free bubbly go to the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party and hit up the art auctions (no obligation to buy). After your first cruise you can sign up for the Crown & Anchor and there will be a C&A "repeaters" party too (more free bubbly).

I'm all about taking as many photos as possible by the ship's photographers. There is no obligation to purchase them, and you can select the best one(s) if you do decide to buy them. Limiting the gambling and extra "pay" coffees is good too. Also, you can save $ by not going to the alternative restaurants that charge a fee.

Research all of your ports beforehand and decide what you want to do...and where. For example, on my next cruise we are doing one "big" excursion (a sailing thing) and the other stops will just be beach/shopping days.

All in all...there have been some great suggestions in this thread :)

Don't be afraid to try Carnival. A lot of cruisers try lots of lines and while everyone has their favorite if they are honest they will tell you that for the most part all of the mass market lines are similar.

Some ways to avoid extra costs after getting on board, are to prepay all tips and excursions. Have a set amount for souvenirs, do not gamble, avoid alcoholic beverages and specialty foods.

If you can get to San Juan for an affordable amount take a cruise from there, There are some really nice ones out of there that go to some great ports.

You can save lots of money on excursions by booking things on your own. If you go to the Ports of Call threads there are lots of recommendations about great tour companies.

If it is just a beach that you want to go to you can catch a cab and go there on your own. In St. Thomas we went to Magen's Bay on our own for about $20 including cabs and entrance fees.

In St. Martin there is a beach in downtown Phillipsburg - it is $5pp for unlimited use of the water taxi which will take you from the ship to that area. There are also lots of shops and restaurants there as well. You could also go back to the ship for lunch.

Anytime a ship's photographer offered to take my photo I just politely told them "no thank you". If there is no photo than I won't be tempted to purchase it.

Another thing you may want to consider is cutting back on the wedding. I did a cruise for my honeymoon last year. Rather than spending loads of money on wedding related items (that nobody remembers anyways) we put that money towards our honeymoon.

Make your own coffess at home instead of going out. Open a cruise account and put money in it from wedding, birthdays, Christmas ect. Bag your lunch instead of buying it. Instead of going to see the releases in the theater wait until they are on pay per view or at Blockbuster/video store and rent it (less then 1/2 price this way). Unless your gym is free, take up walking and home exercising instead of gym membership (this could pay for 1/2 of the cabin, inside).

From the ports mentioned you're doing the cruise we did last year. In Antigua, have awalk up to the cathedral, its an amazing building which is held together by wooden cladding on the inside! You can get a real feel for the island life 100 years ago by reading the name plaques around the walls, and their roles.

In St Lucia you will come into Pointe Seraphim near Castries. Castries is forgetable, but there are some nice beaches nearby. Try to get a ride north towards Rodney Bay and when you pass the shopping mall and the Sandals Resort look out for Villa Beach Cottages. There is a nice beach there where you canswim and sunbathe, plus a small bar where you can eat cheaply. If Colin Hunte the owner of Villa Beach Cottages is in tell him the Big Bill from the UK sends his regards!!!

You might be able to use your teacher's schedule to your advantage. There is a site that has a 90 day ticker of specials on cruises. They also offer some Teacher's rates.

My friend, who is a HS English teacher was able to book a Balcony for 7 day Eastern Caribbean Sailing on Costa for $499. They are on their cruise right now and are having a wonderful time.

With my job, I have to plan way in advance and could never go away for a week with only three month's notice. Knowing exactly when your vacation times are can have some benefits.

Also, what about arranging a group cruise? If enough people join your group, you can earn the "tour conductor" credit and put that towards your cabin.

Jen

Sorry if this has been posted already but keep an eye out in the "HOT DEALS" section of RCI's website. They offer really good offers now and again. Plus, if you decide and you book yourself through the website, transfering your cruise to a Travel Agent could get you an oboard credit if you play your cards right. That could save you money or give you extra's without paying more.

And while yes, flying is the easiest, have you considered driving? I know from Southern Ontario Canada, it takes 24 full hours of driving to get to florida from here. If you have 2 people who can drive you could do it in 2 days or stretch it three. Sleep in the car, take your own food - do what it takes my friend because you will LOVE CRUISING, and you won't regret pinching pennies to get there :)

Good luck!

I will be echo-ing many of the good tips in this thread already, but for the OP it might be helpful if some of the tips are repeated to give some idea of whether certain ideas are very widespread. Might help some of the concerns.

Also--Good for you for starting to save for retirement at age 23. I turned 43 this week, and also started putting into my first 401k when I was 23. I have no idea how I am going to pay for DS's private school tuition next year or his bar mitzvah in 2 years, but i do know that i am comfortably on the right track to retirement, and my income might well go UP in retirement. Stick with contributing to retirement come hell or highwater--"never mind what it does to your disposable take home pay--you're smart, so you'll figure out how to get by on what you have after the retirement contribution, just stuff as much as you can away and dont touch it and keep doing it"--that was the advice I got from my first manager 20 years ago, and it was the best advice I ever got.

Now--consider this a minor flame to the idea of a stateroom being just a place to shower and sleep. It's your honeymoon. Plenty of time in life for fairfield inns and economizing--good for you for getting a corner balcony, you will always remember your honeymoon, and always remember that you made it more special for your bride. And, um, well, there might be more than showering and sleeping going on in your stateroom on a honeymoon...know what I mean, know what I mean, nudge nudge wink wink (Monty Python fans will get the reference).

In my home there is a giant plastic coke bottle shaped piggy bank. At the end of every day, all loose change in everyone's pocket or purse--yes, DS(10), too, goes into the coke bottle. Last broke it open in 2005 for a cruise--got over a thousand dollars that time. Probably have $600 or so, from eyeballing it, if I had to guess. We're going to apply it to the spring break 2008 cruise, also on the adventure.

We also use the RCI Visa. Join the major leagues, at age 23 you should have a credit card. Only use it for something that you have the money for at home, pay it off every month. The first time you carry a balance, take that as a serious warning sign and put the card in a drawer, or freeze it into a block of ice that you form in a ziploc and put it in the corner of the freezer until you get caught up. You need to do this to start building a credit rating--and brush up on what goes into a credit rating (dont close accounts or try to keep flipping a balance between teaser-rate cards, having long term accounts remain open helps your credit rating, for example).

With teachers it is harder to do another of the tricks that can help find a lower fare--cruising when school is in session. so as it appears you'll be on a teachers schedule, see what you can do.

how long does it take you to drive to disney? port canaveral has some great cruise options, and it is 45 minutes from WDW, so maybe that is driveable? We've been on many a cruise from that port with folks who drove in from way up north. or drive as far as you can and maybe leave a few hours for embarkation day--for saturday departures we wait until after atlanta traffic (awful) dies down, and then after dinner leave around 8 pm, drive until about 1 am to get to Jacksonville, and then have 2 hours left in the morning.

i like the latte solution, or brown bagging it twice a week and depositing the average cost of your lunch out into the cruise fund.

oh, for those annoyed that I encourage DS to put his coins in the coke bottle--cry not for my son, as he goes on his 7th cruise, and third in a year, on Jan. 2nd (he is 10). We buy him the coke card on RCI cruises and that is probably about the amount of coins DS deposits becaus eht boy simply doesnt carry or use $ much, we take good care of him! and I wish I had as much cash as that boy has--he has far wealthier grandparents than I did!!

OP--be a good groom (you know, say yes dear a lot, bite your tongue if anything other than "yes dear" or "I Do" start to come out of your mouth, wear what she tells you to wear and stand where she tells you to stand unless she tells you to sit. and tell her she looks pretty even when its not her best day, buy some flowers once in a while, and ask how you can help with something around the home once at least once a week...did I mention I'm a divorce lawyer? So I get to see what the marriage looked like in the marriages that did not work out...these little things should help you never need my ohio colleagues...)

What I've been told about Carnival by one of my fellow lawyers here in my firm, who is married to an orthopedic surgeon and is very upscale in many ways--she and her family cruised on the conquest, one of carnival's mega-ships, and everything was lovely, some things, little things, seems a bit cheesy here or there but nothing that detracted from the vacation, just provided a chuckle along the way. The passengers were not partiers, this was a family ship, (the older ships of all lines doing 3-4 niters attract more of that element, especially when school is in session), but the nieman marcus crowd was not present, more like the folks you see at home depot or wal mart, just regular folks. which was fine by them, if they'd wanted to mingle with the nieman marcus crowd they'd have booked on crystal or radisson(now regent). and we've shared cabs back to port with carnival passengers, or been on the plane from the disembarkation port with carnival passengers, and i had the same impression of the folks as my co-worker. Some people sneer when they think of panama city beach, florida,but i go there, too, and have a fine time each summer--though i know in advance it is going to be laid back and less dressy and more smokers.

My husband and I have a free savings account set up with ING Direct (http://www.ingdirect.com) and we have a certain amount of money automatically deducted from our checking account that goes into our vacation fund. It comes out automatically and we really don't miss the money, but we're glad we have it when it comes time to pay. This is our cruise version of a Christmas club!

My husband and I have a free savings account set up with ING Direct (http://www.ingdirect.com) and we have a certain amount of money automatically deducted from our checking account that goes into our vacation fund. It comes out automatically and we really don't miss the money, but we're glad we have it when it comes time to pay. This is our cruise version of a Christmas club!

I just recently discovered ingdirect and I love it. The interest rates are awesome. I highly recommend this bank for a savings account.

Also--Good for you for starting to save for retirement at age 23. I turned 43 this week, and also started putting into my first 401k when I was 23.
I'll second this one! My husband and I have been out of college for about 18 years, and we've been maxing out our 401Ks since our very first professional paychecks. Because we went from being starving (quite literally for both of us!) college students to two professional salaries, well, the increase in salary seemed HUGE to us, and we never "hurt" because we were putting away a good portion of our paychecks. On the other hand, our colleagues who "lived it up" for a few years, THEN tried to start saving DID have to give up goodies. Start out right, and it'll be easier!
We also use the RCI Visa. Join the major leagues, at age 23 you should have a credit card. Only use it for something that you have the money for at home, pay it off every month . . . You need to do this to start building a credit rating--and brush up on what goes into a credit rating (dont close accounts or try to keep flipping a balance between teaser-rate cards, having long term accounts remain open helps your credit rating, for example).
Again, I must agree. You're out of college now, and you NEED a credit card -- as long as you have the discipline not to over-extend yourself. You'll have trouble renting a hotel room or a car without a car, etc. And a credit card will possibly pay off with benefits that you wouldn't recognize by paying cash.

However, I don't agree that the credit rating is the be-all, end-all that people make it out to be. Things I did before I ever had a credit card: bought a car, rented two apartments, bought a house, paid my way through college, had my first child. Don't focus on the numbers; instead, focus on building financial stability. Pay every bill in full, on time. Pay off your big purchases (cars, house) early. Never carry a balance on your credit card. That's what we've done, and we were amazed when we financed a car a couple years ago to hear the people at the car dealership say, "Wow -- look at that! A perfect credit rating. We don't see many of those." Build stability, and that number will follow. Don't worry about the rest. And, by the way, I do frequently open accounts to get the rewards, close 'em as soon as they're no longer valuable to me, etc. But I have my two "main cards" -- Discover, which gives me the best benefits, and VISA, which I use where Discover isn't accepted -- that I've had forever. I've also had the same bank account forever, and I have good savings accounts and investments.

With teachers it is harder to do another of the tricks that can help find a lower fare--cruising when school is in session. so as it appears you'll be on a teachers schedule, see what you can do.
I'm a teacher, and -- like most jobs, I suppose -- it has positive and negatives when it comes to finances.

Positives: Once my kids started school, I didn't have to pay for day care any longer -- that's HUGE -- and it goes beyond finances: my friends' kids are outgrowing after-school care, and they're all concerned about leaving them home alone in the afternoons. Not a problem for me. The "cost" of working is low; the wardrobe doesn't have to be top-notch, and there are few work-related expenses. Also, while teaching doesn't come with a big paycheck, the job security can't be beat, and the benefits and retirement are some of the best around. I am frequently offered temp-type jobs tutoring or working with home-bound students; I never do these things myself, but they are a chance for extra cash.

Negatives: The paycheck is smaller than other professionals. When my kids were smaller, I had to pay for their daycare spots during the summer. As the other poster said, traveling during the school year can be difficult; however, I have a small number of personal leave days; coupled with a partial-work-week (i.e., fall break week), I can still find an occasional good week for off-peak travel.

I'll throw out one more financial idea: Together with your fiancee', make a list of your five top priorities in life. Write them down. Make a copy for each of you. The things my husband and I care most about include our faith, our marriage, our children, our financial stability, and our home -- yours might differ, or they might be ordered differently. Over the years they've changed a bit. Whenever you face a question about how to spend, ask yourself whether your spending is in line with your goals. So we tithe to our church every week, but we don't go out to eat weekly -- this is in keeping with our values and our goals because entertainment/meals out didn't make our top five at all. We put money aside for our children's braces and educations -- money that's just sitting there -- while at the same time I really want to replace my nasty carpet with hardwood floors, which I could enjoy today. But this is in keeping with our overall goals.

Make your own coffess at home instead of going out.
I totally do not "get" the idea of paying $5 for a cup of coffee, and I've always thought the "latte factor" thing was overblown by all the financial advisers! But recently -- since Starbucks finally made it to my area -- I'm seeing high school students bringing Starbucks to school every morning. And my recent graduates come back to visit, and one thing they ALL mention is that they love getting together with friends at coffee bars on campus. How do people without full-time jobs (and people who are borrowing to pay for their college educations) afford $5 coffee?

Oh, the money I save by not being a coffee drinker! Does anyone just make coffee at home anymore?

I will be getting married this coming summer and finishing up grad school next year, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to afford to go on cruise vacations with a very limited budget?

We live in Ohio, so getting down to ports like Miami/Galveston aren't so financially friendly, so I'm guessing there's not much that can be done to save on airfare there. But, I just wondered if people have certain methods of getting their cruises paid for? (paying a little bit month by month, etc.) Thanks!

We live about and hour & 1/2 from Bayonne NJ ( Cape Liberty ) and we've also made the trip to Columbus Ohio for the AQHA Congress for many years and hauling a big rig full of horses it takes us about 10- 11 hours to drive straight thru from Pa. taking 80 for the most part so you could consider going out of Cape Liberty NJ on the Explorer. There is a Best Western close to the Port that offers a park and cruise package for about 160.00 where you could come in the day before and than they supply a shuttle to the ship if you want to leave your car at the hotel. The Explorer goes to Bermuda, Caribbean and New England cruises out of Bayonne and Celebrity also leaves from that port so you can check their destinations also. Usually deals on interior cabins closer to cruise dates. I know the 10/29 sailing to Bermuda for an interior was 399.00-499.00 for 5 nights. Just check the RCCL website for dates and destinations.:)

I can't wait for the flames... but

You say you are looking to travel cheap but you book an Aft balcony. Probably one of the most expensive cabins on board. Starting like that you've got no where to go but down!

Go for an inside cabin and ENJOY yourselves. I try to cruise every year and if that means an inside...then inside it is. No point in being on the ship only to nickle and dime everything else.

Ultimately the call is yours...but switching to an inside will IMMEDIATELY solve your problem of the very tight budget.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to afford to go on cruise vacations with a very limited budget?

The way I pay for all my vacations is EBAY, the past 4 years I have gone to Disneyland 3 times, two cruises, and a new Fender Telecaster electric guitar. every vacation has been paid for before the trip, its a real good feeling to come home and not worry about vacation bills.

Archived