Starboard v. Port

GoofingOff

This will be my first time to Alaska. I wonder if you can tell me which side of the ship would be best, if there is a preference. I may spend considerable time in the stateroom w/ my young daughter and don’t want to miss the beautiful scenery. It's a round-trip out of Seattle (to Glacier Bay). Ports are Juneau; Skagway; Ketchikan and Victoria.

Also, do people use the pool much in June? My 3 YO would prob. love the big slide (going on the NCL Pearl). Just wondering if pools get used much in Alaska.

Thanks!

my balcony was port side, we used to a LOT. cruising throug glacier bay, coming into the bay..a lot of the views are closest to the port side. i would sit out and enjoy the quiet. then go and join the family up on the deck. then back down to the peace on the balcony. when the ship stops (at the glaciers) it turns to allow everyone a view.

Both sides will have views part of the trip. BUT you need to determine- IF you plan on ONLY viewing Glaicer Bay from your cabin??? IF so then you need a PORT side cabin.

I disagree with the "ship turns" comments. This is a Very very small portion of the total potential viewing time. Always, out on a front deck is superior with seeing FAR MORE.

Thanks for your inputs. I'm gonna be on the port side because the suite and connecting junior suite I needed could only be had on that side. Now I feel better about it. I had thought it might be more desirable to be on starboard since the cruise starts w/ vancouver isl. on the starboard side of the ship. Guess that's not the case.

the biggest reason most people want port side is glacier viewing. it really was the case on my trip..coming into glacier bay..the rangers boarded the ship on the port side..and early (passing) views were closer on the port side. as you come up to the main glaciers, they were on the port side. true, the ship gets as close as possible and then turns it's nose to go out the bay. starboard did get a view, but not as long or as close as i did in my little balcony. this was in glacier bay, i don't know about the other glacier areas. you do need to go up on the open deck at least once to get the full view.

in most case, unless you have great binoculars, the shore is too far away to see much detail.

the biggest reason most people want port side is glacier viewing. it really was the case on my trip..coming into glacier bay..the rangers boarded the ship on the port side..and early (passing) views were closer on the port side. as you come up to the main glaciers, they were on the port side. true, the ship gets as close as possible and then turns it's nose to go out the bay. starboard did get a view, but not as long or as close as i did in my little balcony. this was in glacier bay, i don't know about the other glacier areas. you do need to go up on the open deck at least once to get the full view.

in most case, unless you have great binoculars, the shore is too far away to see much detail.

Is this true for all glaciers or just GB? Is Hubbard setup in a similar way?

I had thought it might be more desirable to be on starboard since the cruise starts w/ vancouver isl. on the starboard side of the ship. Guess that's not the case.

No not true, you are INSIDE Vancouver Island, views on both side, entire way. Take a look at a map.

Is this true for all glaciers or just GB? Is Hubbard setup in a similar way?

Hubbard is best seen from the Front. Again that ship "spin" yields only a very small portion of the total potential viewing. Glacier Bay and College Fjords need a PORT side cabin, if you ONLY want viewing from your cabin.

Archived