CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

California Dreamer:- I've seen the threads, yes, but just haven't read them all yet. The cruise isn't for 18 months yet so I'm in no great rush and, besides, it was quite a specific question regarding your thoughts on the pluses and minuses of booking a gty or a specific cabin for multiple sectors that i didn't think there was too great a chance of it having been asked before. I wasn't planning on asking here and going off-topic.

Originally Posted by Sansouci

Just curious: Did you book directly through Carnival to get the good value, i.e., 23-30% single supplement? Thanks.

I booked with an online agency, although they all seem to be currently offering the cruise at the same price as direct from Carnival. I suspect that will change closer to departure. I've just worked out the percentage and unfortunatley it's much higher than i initially worked out (I didn't think port fees were included in the base fare). It turns out the supplement on the initial sector at least is around 37%.

I see that you are planning a South America trip too, Sancouci. Celebrity as a line appeals greatly however whenever I've had a single price in the past it's always at least 80% supplement and it has been well over double for a transatlantic repositioning cruise.

I've just worked out the percentage and unfortunatley it's much higher than i initially worked out (I didn't think port fees were included in the base fare). It turns out the supplement on the initial sector at least is around 37%.

I see that you are planning a South America trip too, Sancouci. Celebrity as a line appeals greatly however whenever I've had a single price in the past it's always at least 80% supplement and it has been well over double for a transatlantic repositioning cruise.

Still, 37% is very good for a single supplement. I'm very excited about the itinerary for my South America cruise, even though the trip is somewhat costly. As you suggest, since it's Celebrity, I'm paying 200% minus the fees, taxes, & port charges for the second passenger.

Your trip sounds fantastic!

This is a great board - glad I found it.

I didn't see this one mentioned (though I may have overlooked it). I have booked on NCL's Norwegian Gem transatlantic repositioning cruise leaving from Barcelona on December 3. There is only one stop (Funchal, Portugal) before the arrival in Boston. The trip is 9-nights total, so lots of relaxing time at sea. I noticed a few weeks ago there was no single supplement but I hadn't made up my mind and didn't book right away. Then I checked and the deal seemed to be gone. I kept my eye on it, and last week the deal seemed to be back, so I booked. I have a balcony room all to myself for only $800 (including insurance, taxes, etc.).

Of course air was a little more than the cruise. I booked my own air (through a Web travel site) rather than through NCL, but air was still over $800 from Dallas to Barcelona and from Boston to Dallas. Still, $1600 total for 9 nights in a decent cabin seems like a great deal to me - and those of you on the East coast might be able to get a much better deal on air. Plus, the Gem is a brand new ship to be christened in October. Should be a great trip. Roll call is ongoing on the boards here - lots of folks planning to meet up.

Lastly, payment is due by September 19. Any of you who are playing the waiting game to wait until after the cancellation date may want to check back then. If prices go down at all, you could really get a deal...though it might be worth it to book now just to be sure you can avoid the single supplement.

WHOOOOHOOO! Count me in. Just made reservation for this TA and this is a dream for me. Travelling solo so hope to meet some new friends here. Would like any and all information on NCL because I am a true and loyal RCCL cruiser, but they could never beat this deal. Also took air with NCL to make sure I get there. OMG! I am so excited.:D

Ok...got cold feet! Cancelled the trip (for this week anyhow). I heard that the flight could end up being 17+ hours long and not sure whether my nicotine habit would survive. It sounds so exiciting and, who knows, I may change my mind AGAIN and go along. Someone interested in changing my thoughts about the flight. It was booked through NCL out of PHL and I can't seem to find anything cheaper.:confused:

:eek: OH MY GOD :eek: What an amazing deal!!!! I want to go!

I leave Sat for a southern carrib, but I'm trying every which way to figure out a way to do this cruise too!!! My DREAM is all those days at sea. The price is unbelievable! Air from Chicago isn't too bad....

oooooooooohhhh, but I don't have the $ or the time off work. I'm still trying to figure out a way. I can't believe I'd have to pass up on this cruise. I searched if anything like that available in spring - no luck :(

If I can figure out a way, I promise I'll be back!

Nancy

The travel time could possibly be 17 hours, but only if you take into account any connections and time zone changes. The actual flight time is about 8 hours, I believe. I know that still sounds like a long time -- but it's much better than 17!

I rebooked through the cruiseline...got an even better deal...

Probably very cold and the sea is probablty choppy..it ends in Boston someone said? I live on the Cape and the ocean is rough. That is why it is sooo cheap! Good luck...maybe someone else has a better answer than me!!!

What's the weather like crossing Atlantic in December?

I'm still trying to get this done :)

Nancy

Please add me to the growing list of happy individuals :D anticipating this cruise. I love this thread!!! It will be fun with such a large group. Tomorrow I'm going to Vancouver to catch a quick coastal Princess repositioning back to L.A. Looking forward to the Cruise Critic gathering. Susie

Probably very cold and the sea is probablty choppy..it ends in Boston someone said? I live on the Cape and the ocean is rough. That is why it is sooo cheap! Good luck...maybe someone else has a better answer than me!!!

That's ok with me too! It'll be different. I enjoy a rocking ship :)

I'll have to decide when I get back in two weeks. Hopefully there'll still be cheap cabins left!

Nancy

there are a number of posts going into detail about the 1a cabins, i am surprised you cant find them, did you try searching?

A little patience, please, for those of use who are new to the boards?:(

Hey Everyone,

I'm on Travelocity right now and it's letting me book as a single.

I'm looking at Sovereign of the Seas Nov 16-19 to the Bahamas from Orlando. An interior stateroom is $399 (without taxes and air, of course) on Deck 2.

Not bad!

Ok, following your lead, I see a cabin 1A (with a picture window) on the Carnival Liberty, 6-night Western Caribbean, Nov. 18-24, $744. Not a bad deal, I assume?:rolleyes: Still learning here.

• 2 weeks later...

Sansouci: check out Grandeur sailing from Tampa. I am going 2/23/08 (Saturday), 5 nights, Belize & Cozumel for $649. Category Q cabin but I'm not there much anyway - but I'll still be watching for upgrades!! They still have solo category N's for $659. Tampa's port is very convenient, just off I-4 before downtown. I think parking is still about $12 per day. Royal Caribbean has 3 itineraries from Tampa plus the repositioning cruise. Maybe you can join us - our roll call is fairly new but we have really nice people - I already feel welcome!

Liz

I didn't see this one mentioned (though I may have overlooked it). I have booked on NCL's Norwegian Gem transatlantic repositioning cruise leaving from Barcelona on December 3. There is only one stop (Funchal, Portugal) before the arrival in Boston. The trip is 9-nights total, so lots of relaxing time at sea.

Hey heydallas,

Thanks for posting this offer - it is still available with no single supplement. I booked a BB Balcony Cabin today, seems all balcony cabins are the same rate. Using an online agency, I was able to get free Travel Insurance. This will be my 3rd TransAtlantic and second time in Funchal. Thanks again for the heads up on this offer.

Jack - San Francisco

Archived