Dry Cleaning on Princess

easykruz

I am new to the Elite World of Princess and would like to know if anyone has had any problem with the Dry Cleaning or Laundry Service on a Princess Cruise Ship? I have some silk shirts that according to the instructions on the shirt can be drycleaned or washed. My question is if I ask to have it drycleaned, will Princess personnel follow my instructions or will they look at the tag on the shirt and maybe wash it? Sounds like a stupid question but what I am looking for is people who have had experience with Princess service.

Thanks,

Bill

We did the Dec 2nd Grand Princess cruise out of Galveston, Texas and the

following occurred:

I spilled "something" down the front of my expensive evening gown during the first formal night. Don't know what it was or exactly when it got there. But noticed it when I was hanging the dress up that night. I did not want the dress to be ruined, so the very next morning I sent it out to be cleaned.

The cleaning instructions were on a dress tag, but I was unable to tell the stewart what caused the spots. The next morning the dress was returned to me and I was told they were unable to remove the spots, but I was not charged for the attempted cleaning.

I thought: "Bummer", the dress is ruined as I definitely could not wear it again in that condition. After we got home, I told my husband, since the dress was "ruined", I was going to spray it with "Shout" and wash it with Woolite and cold water, maybe it would come out. I had nothing to loose.

My husband suggested "before" I did that, take it to "our" cleaners and let them see what they could do. Well, you guessed it: It came out perfect.

The moral to this story is I really don't think Princess tried to clean the dress. I think they were concerned they would have to "pay" for the dress if they messed it up during the cleaning, so they did nothing with it. But, they should have simply rejected the dress for cleaning, rather then telling me they could not "get the spots out".

I came "that close" to possibly ruining the dress when I was thinking about washing it. Thank goodness for thoughtful husbands.

Just some "food for thought" regarding laundry/cleaning services offered by Princess.

We have been Platinum Elite since they got that level and have used the drycleaning and laundry perks a lot on a number of Princess ships. I make notes on the laundry/drycleaning form if I want them to do something that might require reading a label on the garment,etc.

However, I should note that I have found the service very uneven. Even on the same ship, sometimes they do a great job and sometimes an awful job. Although I have not had anything except some handkerchiefs completely ruined, I have had some newish clothes come back for the laundry looking many years old. I think some of the ships wash everything as if it was a sheet or towel that needs to be bleached and scubbed to death in the hottest water possible. I have become reluctant to use them for any of my really nice clothes whether for laundry or drycleaning,

The times I have been particularly unhappy with the service I have noted it on my comment card at the end.

I adore my free laundry/dry cleaning Elite perk.

Only once did I have a problem with regular laundry. I had a nightshirt that came back with a blue "tint" to it (was ivory).

No problems with my dry cleaning.

As with most things I am sure this varies ship to ship too.

We are newly Elite also. If we take my husband's tux shirt uncleaned, and send it to be laundered our first day on the ship, will it be returned to us in time for formal night the next night? i.e. Is that considered same day or next day service? Thanks!

I do believe there is no additional charge for next day service.

As Elite, there is no extra charge for "same day service".

I too have found huge differences between ships on their efficiency. I have a black formal gown that I would be devastated if something happened to it. I sent it out to be cleaned and it came back beautiful (we were on the Dawn). In November (on the Sun), I sent out a simple knit top with a couple of spots on it, made a note on the receipt , when it came back, it looked as if nothing had been done at all......washed it in the sink, came out great.

Bottom line, we use the laundry alot for "pressing" services, which is great!

It has been my experience that it is almost impossible to have something taken to the cleaners the day of boarding the ship. Do not count on this.

We are newly Elite also. If we take my husband's tux shirt uncleaned, and send it to be laundered our first day on the ship, will it be returned to us in time for formal night the next night? i.e. Is that considered same day or next day service? Thanks!

Archived