New poster, longtime lurker!

Jannarama

Hello all--thought I'd do a quick intro. I'm Jann, a stay-at-home-schooling mother and Army Wife. I lurked on the old style message boards when we were planning our trip to Hawaii last fall (MS Statendam 10-11 thru 10-26 2003). I gathered a plethora of tips from that message board. I went on the trip with my mother, brother and his wife. My husband stayed home with our 2 children (two teenage daughters, which is why I needed a vacation! :D)

My mom and I are heading to Alaska. We sail the 24th of July from Seattle on the 7 day cruise. We decided to try a verandah style room (last time we were in Cabin 694 of the Statendam, which was next to the last room at the rear of the ship, and talk about NAUSEA city!) So this time we have SS 8063. Hopefully it'll be smoother sailing.

I lived up in Anchorage for 3 years but never got to see southern Alaska. I'm looking forward to the cruise and I have my camera prepared for the trip--4 media cards, 4 rechargable batteries...I think I'm set!

Just thought I'd say a quick hello to ya'll! The advice and reviews are just terrific here!!

Jann,

I'm so glad that you decided to join us. Welcome to the boards, and I hope that you will feel free to contribute your valuable information as well. It sounds as if you really need a vacation. Again, welcome.:D

Jann: Last year on your Hawaii trip, was the weather and sea that bad or do you attibute the nausea to being at the stern of the ship. We are headed to Hawaii Sept. 30 and some in our group are concerned about rough seas.

We did Hawaii on Statendam in Feb/Mar of this year and we were two cabins up from yours and we too thought it was the roughest waters we had been on. Here again not sure if it was all weather related or partially the cabin. I would admit the nausea subsided when I was in the center of ship (i.e. Wajang Theatre) When we did Alaska in May/June on the Statendam we were in center of ship and only had one day that was rough at all. No comparison on the smoothness of the waters. Have a great trip:) :cool:

Archived