Pirate Excursion

Lilactress

I was looking @ the excursions in Grand Cayman and saw what looked like a fun pirate excursion. I am traveling with children [G-4, B-11, G-13, G-14] and was wondering if anyone has been on this excursion and any thoughts.

Thanks so muchh

To add to my previous question before, i would like to note that it was the "Cayman Pirate Encounter" off the Carnival website, not the Jolly Roger, which I heard referred to as the "Booze Cruise". Again, any suggestions?

Thanks soo much

We went on this excursion through Royal Caribbean last week with our kids (3 & 6). They loved it! Kids of all ages, including young teens were on and had a great time. The "ship" anchors for about 30-45 minutes to swim. You can actually walk the plank or jump off the boat and swim. Everyone is required to wear a life vest to do this. It was great fun.

Mel

Is there a place onboard to change, or should those who intend to swim go already dressed in their swimsuits ?

I'd wear your suit under shorts because there are 3 tiny, tiny restrooms on board, but I don't know how anyone (even size 2 women) can change in there!

from spending an outrageous amount of money on this. My son would either love it or be terrified. The noose is just a bit too much. ANd the guy screaming. Not exactly 5 yr old (or 45 yr old) friendly. Call me a party pooper but I think I'll go with the naultilus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went on this with my 8 yo daughter and she liked and hated it. There was only one other young girl besides her so it wasn't too scary. Definitely no noose involved. The yelling was a little much. Make sure if you go you let little ones know they will be "drafted". I think if my daughter had known what to expect it might have gone better for her.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

we went last summer with kids, 9,11,13. They loved it. There was some yelling but i dont remember it in a scary way. When the capt did the fake trial, he made jokes about it, like you are on trial for not cleaning your room,etc.

they asked each child if they wanted to do it. the others could swab the ship with a brush and they poured water on them. If you didnt want to get involved you just sort of hung back or in the front of the ship. There was a loose loop, but they used it only on the older teens and adults.

then everyone could jump off the plank.

hope this helps

• 2 years later...

I was reading some less than stellar reviews of the Pirate ship excursion on a Princess Crown review on this site. Said it was a waste of money, ship was not in great shape, crew didn't put on much of a show. With that many kids and if cost is a factor, it might be something to think about.

Don't know if they'd be interested in the stingrays, but it seems you can do that through independent operators fairly cheaply, and lots of people say it is the greatest thing. We are going on the Hannibal catamaran through Island Marketing (google it), and we are also using Island Marketing on our other islands. I've heard good things about them, and they offer many different tours on each island. After the stingrays and other snorkeling, they are dropping us off at 7 mile beach on the return for a couple of hours and we'll grab a cab back.

Just some thoughts and or other ideas.

• 4 weeks later...
How much was the cost and did you book it off the ship0?

The Pirate Encounter was the highlight of our 5 year old's cruise. He still talks about it. I also had a great time, especially when we fired our cannon on two of the four ships anchored that day. Watching the kids scrub the poop deck was so cute!

Unfortunately, my wife and another passenger got seasick and were brought back to shore, but the excursion continued for the rest of us.

We booked this excursion through the Carnival Ship.

Prices:

Adult $39.95

Child $35.95

BTW, my wife was fine when she got back on shore and did a little shopping.

Archived