Opt out of daily service charge to tip on my own? Jewel

KatielovesKruzes

Hi:

Traveling on Jewel next week. I read somewhere on CC that we can go to the service desk, opt-out of the mandatory service charge and then tip those who actually wait on us-i.e- those that provide services we utilize. I am usually a very good tipper- traveling with a total of 5 ( 2 adults, 3 kids). Would rather give the 250 plus additional to our favorite butler,waiters, etc. Is this still possible or totally crass?

Thanks

Kathy

Totally crass:D First the butler/ concierge are not in the minimal $10 tip pool. If you opt out those that get extra cash are required to turn in the cash. Not fair to get a full share of the pool plus the cash if you did not contribute.

It is almost impossible unless you carry a pocket full of cash at all times to tip as you go on freestyle. You may never see the same person twice.

Leave the auto tip in place and give a little extra to those that go the extra mile. It works for everyone and easier for you.

Totally crass:D First the butler/ concierge are not in the minimal $10 tip pool. If you opt out those that get extra cash are required to turn in the cash. Not fair to get a full share of the pool plus the cash if you did not contribute.

It is almost impossible unless you carry a pocket full of cash at all times to tip as you go on freestyle. You may never see the same person twice.

Leave the auto tip in place and give a little extra to those that go the extra mile. It works for everyone and easier for you.

I agree with Shoreguy!

I would NEVER opt-out of the mandatory charge.

And, you will be tipping constantly if you do so.

Better to leave it in place and tip, obviously, butler and concierge and any servers you believe earned additional, i.e. waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc., and your room stewards.

I've only done this once, when we didn't use a waiter at all the entire cruise, but used the butlers instead very extensively. I applied the tip money that would have gone to the waiters to give the butlers a heavy tip.

There are less visible people behind the scenes who depend on these auto-tips, like the "bellbox" who most people have never heard of -- he's the one who hauls your bags to your room. I gather opting out is also a kind of mark against the ship, it is one of the metrics they use in judging the crew.

I approached the counter and tried to opt out of auto tipping, the employee visibly scowled and gave unhelpful answers when I tried to find out who the auto tips go to, so I wouldn't miss anyone doing it manually myself. I walked away, came back later, and worked with a second person who was more straightforward.

They really don't like people opting out, but when it comes to tips I don't care what they want or think. Tips are always at the passenger's discretion and whim. I never think of tips as charity, there are far better causes. For those many good employees who pride themselves on their work, I may choose to reward good service with a better tip. I don't like the idea of auto tipping, but I understand the system with so many passengers coming from cultures where tipping is not done.

So basically, go for it, it is up to you!

Leave it on. It becomes easier for everyone.

Butlers and Concierge are not included in the daily amount nor are the kids program counselors.. If you take it off(which I thought you weren't allowed to do unless you have a specific complaint which they didn't remedy), those who are on the list are notified and MUST turn in any cash tips. The penalty for not turning it in is firing.

Part of the automatic tip money goes to folks who you will/may never see but work hard to make your cruise experience special. We always leave the auto-tip in place and then add something extra in cash for our butler, concierge, spa practitioners, etc - all those who perform "personal" services that make our trip such a special experience.

Leave it on, take extra cash for those who take care of you (cabin steward, butler, concierge, etc) - the smiles on their faces when you reward their efforts with a little extra will make you feel good inside.

I believe Smeyer418 is correct. You cannot opt out of the mandatory service charge. If you have a specific complaint, they may make an adjustment but the charge goes on every shipboard account. Many passengers give additional tips to specific crew members for exceptional service. I hope they are not required to turn them in because they earned it.

I believe Smeyer418 is correct. You cannot opt out of the mandatory service charge. If you have a specific complaint, they may make an adjustment but the charge goes on every shipboard account. Many passengers give additional tips to specific crew members for exceptional service.

No you're both wrong, I know because I did it only a few months ago.

They hand you a form which asks you to specify why you are doing so.

I checked a box that said I had no complaint, but that I wished to do cash tipping instead of auto tipping. There is also a space to write in more detailed comments. There were several other check boxes that basically let you do whatever you want -- offer a partially reduced auto-tip of your choosing, etc..

No you're both wrong, I know because I did it only a few months ago.

They hand you a form which asks you to specify why you are doing so.

I checked a box that said I had no complaint, but that I wished to do cash tipping instead of auto tipping. There is also a space to write in more detailed comments. There were several other check boxes that basically let you do whatever you want -- offer a partially reduced auto-tip of your choosing, etc..

And when you did that the crew that received cash is under contract required to turn it in. As posted not fair for your cabin stewards to get a full share plus the cash you handed out when you did not contribute to the pool.

Not sure I would want to walk around all day with ones and fives to tip as I go. No way on a freestyle cruise to find everyone the last day.

i worry about the back-up crew, the ones you don't see but are part of the tip pool. they allow the room stewarts and the waiters to do their jobs to well...why stiff them? just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't deserve their share of the tips...after all that's all or most of their pay check.

Keep the autotips on and reward those who you feel are exceptional (in their service to you) with cash.

I am not 100% sure who shares in the tip pool (a lot of different opinions on CC), but I am 90% sure that it would be impossible to seek out and reward all those crew members individually, who have worked hard to ensure you had an enjoyable cruise.

The Jewel has over 1000 crew members and you will only interact with a small percentage of those.

The autotips are in place for a reason..to be sure everyone that helps..even behind the scenes are treated fairly. If someone gives you fantastic service, tip additionally to them. As far as not tipping waiters when you do not show for meals...I will still tip the waiter at the end of the week. This is how they make a living. I usually tell my waiter that we rarely come to dinner, but I will be sure to bring his tip on the last night for him. I think it is common courtesy.

since it's very rare to get the same waiter in any of the dining rooms...

1st...there are so many places to eat

2nd..the crew is moved around to where needed

3rd..no set dining hours. no set table seating

free-style tipping doesn't work with free-style dining. the auto-tipping works great. never had to run around trying to find the right person with the right envelope. i am glad to hear that NCL makes them report cash tips, otherwise it would be very unfair to the back-ground crew..keeps everyone honest.

in 7 days, we never had the same wait staff twice.

Hi:

Traveling on Jewel next week. I read somewhere on CC that we can go to the service desk, opt-out of the mandatory service charge and then tip those who actually wait on us-i.e- those that provide services we utilize. I am usually a very good tipper- traveling with a total of 5 ( 2 adults, 3 kids). Would rather give the 250 plus additional to our favorite butler,waiters, etc. Is this still possible or totally crass?

Thanks

Kathy

I think it's $10 per day per person?? Isn't that $350, not $250?

Plus whatever they add on for drinks etc.

My room steward was pretty bad my last cruise, but I didnt opt out. He did say he was just hired 3 months ago, still has a lot to learn. I liked him, just not the job he did.

I would not opt out.

Opting out cheats too many hardworking crew members you may not be aware of. I agree with the idea of keeping the auto tips in place and adding additional tips to crew who go "above and beyond" when performing their jobs. These people work long hours 7 days a week and are away from their loved ones for months at a time. There's only one reason they do this: the money they earn to support their family back home. I'm sure you wouldn't want to deprive them of the money they work so hard to earn.

Didn't mean to create a fuss. NCL told me the service charges are divided between the wait staff and stewards, etc, not the "behind the scenes" people who are paid their small salary. In other words,the funds are divided among the folks on most cruise lines who rely soley on tips. I just wanted to know if I would be better off tipping individually, as I have had head waiters before who were complete losers that I gave smaller tips, and fantastic waiters that I gave well more than the 10 bucks/adult a day. I just don't like NCL advertising " no tipping" then including an automatic tip! For the butler , Kids Crew and bar ( included with each drink!) of course we would tip separat:eek:etly-wasn't considering this in my question.

Thanks for all your input-

Happy , Healthy New Year

just remember..with all the food options..chances are you will see different servers at each meal. in fact, you could eat at a different place each day:D . we tip extra one night at the agua room, service was so great. of course, we tipped at cagney's..but then they aren't in the pool.

left extra for the room stewarts, they were great. ate 1 night in versailes, 2 nights in aqua (2 differents serving crews), 1 night at cagney's, 1 night endless summer, 2 nights at the buffet. too many choices..loved it.

Don't even think about it and get used to it. HAL has the same policy and Disney now puts the gratuity on your final payment account prior to sailing. If you really want to do something special, just give a little extra to those who go above and beyond for you. That is what we normally do. $10 per day is a minimum. As I understand it and I think someone else brought this up, you can only opt out with a reason. NMnita

Don't even think about it and get used to it. HAL has the same policy and Disney now puts the gratuity on your final payment account prior to sailing. If you really want to do something special, just give a little extra to those who go above and beyond for you. That is what we normally do. $10 per day is a minimum. As I understand it and I think someone else brought this up, you can only opt out with a reason. NMnita

great advice

Can you tell I am single and don't have kids.

thanks for the information.

I would have thought kids were just as much trouble to pick up after and serve and would have been the same. Good to know the policy ahead of time.

I agree but normally kids under twelve are in the same cabin as the adults who are picking up the cost :eek: A little break so the don't price families off the ship.

I am going on the Pride of Aloha in a couple of weeks to Hawaii, first time on NCl, Previously have sailed on HAL and Celebrity ships.

HAL and X both refer to charges of $10.00 per day as gratuities, you can tip extra if wanted, also can take off charges by going to the desk, with good reasons ( I guess). NCl brochure states $10.00 per day as a service charge which cannot be taken off, but does encourage tipping if you want. Just a little confused....is this a terminology thing in language ?

Archived