Possible Wet Dock for Ms Noordam

GPoll189

Hello all again!!!! Just off the Ms Noordam today and was wondering if what some of the crew was telling me is correct. I know some of you are very knowledgable about the scheduling of dry docks and the ships. Our room steward and some of the deck help stated that the Ms Noordam is scheduled for a wet dock at the end of the month. They state that this is for the ships one year anniversay and to get things checked before their warranties are over. What gets me thinking about this is that there is no time in the present sailing for a wet dock unless I am not looking at it correctly. What also gets me thinking about it a possible wet dock is that most of the crew will be leaving the Ms Noordam because there contracts are up. Our room steward stated that over 70% of the crew will be switched by the end of the month. Is it possible that they have two 10 day cruises back to back and that is how they are getting the possible 3 days of work to use. I don't want to get anyone worried, I just want to know what is going on with the best ship in the line.

Geoffrey

Geoffery, I'm no expert, but IMHO I doubt it. It’s not scheduled, and that if for like big renovations, esp. for public areas like replacing carpet, fixtures, etc. They probably check that stuff while sailing. That may be true about contracts ending, but they are always turning over and/or moving crew around. I’ll be checking in for the experts…..;)

Mark…

Many of Noordam's crew did not start their current contract on Noordam. They had been on other ships and were transferred to Noordam for her take out.

We know a dining steward who was with us on Volendam in October and when we were aboard Noordam in February, there he was. That made him toward the middle of his contract, not at the beginning of his 12 months. That would be true of other dining/cabin stewards and other staff, crew and officers.

I know they have been doing a great deal of "fixing" around the ship. The Hotel Manager Henk Mensink said that there were discrepencies that were identified by HAL as covered in a "warranty" period came to an end that had to be resolved. So I guess the shipyard did have some coverage as these folks I saw were contractors, not HAL employees by the various logos and company names on their coveralls. With that said, why would they put the ship in a wet dock? that won't expose the hull as in a dry dock; why not just put divers over the side to inspect the hull if thats what she needs. if there are serious problems with the hull, propulsion or stablizers, that would require a dry dock.

Hello all again!!!! Just off the Ms Noordam today and was wondering if what some of the crew was telling me is correct. I know some of you are very knowledgable about the scheduling of dry docks and the ships. Our room steward and some of the deck help stated that the Ms Noordam is scheduled for a wet dock at the end of the month. They state that this is for the ships one year anniversay and to get things checked before their warranties are over. [/b].

Well, for one thing ... the ship won't be a year old at the end of this month ... her Maiden Voyage was in late February, 2006.

Also, as has already been stated, most of the crew came aboard at some point in the midst of their contracts. Some might be leaving at the end of this month, but not any more-so than normal procedures would dictate.

As for a wet dock at the end of this month ... I don't see it in the schedule. There's a 10-day cruise that just started and doesn't end until the morning of January 6, 2007, when I board her. :) And, there are CCers aboard right now. Calm_Seas didn't report anything. And, I don't see any room for such a wet dock in January or February, 2007.

So ... I don't know what to say to what you were told, but from the look of the schedule it just doesn't appear to be correct.

I actually heard about the possible wet dock for the Noordam while on board December 6-16th. I was told by more than one of the crew and the date was the same as the one Geoff is posting. I heard that the reason was a problem with stablizers. This was NOT a planned service but something that has to be addressed. I noticed that the ship was rocking much more on the 10 day Caribbean than it ever did on the Transatlantic so it may have an issue. Also several crew members complained of very rough seas coming and going out of New York on recent sailings.

I don't agree that most of the staff are leaving in January. Almost everyone that I spoke with last sailing told me that they would see me in May. That being said, I don't think it matters whether the staff is leaving whether the ship will dry/wet dock. The ships' crew come and go on every sailing.

When I came off the ship I also checked the schedule and saw no space for a dry/wet dock and sent an e-mail to a friend on the ship and he said that it's still being talked about. I guess for now it's just a rumor and we won't know until it happens

I actually heard about the possible wet dock for the Noordam while on board December 6-16th. I was told by more than one of the crew and the date was the same as the one Geoff is posting. I heard that the reason was a problem with stablizers. This was NOT a planned service but something that has to be addressed.

When I came off the ship I also checked the schedule and saw no space for a dry/wet dock and sent an e-mail to a friend on the ship and he said that it's still being talked about. I guess for now it's just a rumor and we won't know until it happens

Hmm...this is starting to get really interesting. I checked the Jan 27th Noordam cruise situation a couple of days ago from HAL website and there were several cabins still available (actually nearly all non-balcony stateroom classes were still open). When I checked the same cruise just a couple of minutes ago it was completely removed...meaning:

a) it's completely sold out (hmm.....from neearly all oceanview and inside classes open to completely sold out in a couple of days...)

b) it's become a charter (which I sincerely doubt)

c) the sailing is closed due to the wet/dry dock they are planning for Jan 27th (+ 3-4 days)...

I'm just wondering what they will be doing for all the pax (who have already even received their docs)...Make the cruise 3-4 days shorter??? As the ship sails from NY this seems like a very bad option. How far south are they going to get in 7-8 days? Cancel the whole cruise (and give the pax their money back + significant discounts of a future cruise)? Try to get (at least) some of the pax to some different sailings with OBC?

And I'm still wondering just how many pax will have non-refundable flight tickets to NY, prepaid non-refundable hotel bookings etc. If HAL will cancel the cruise are they going to cover these charges too???

After reading the rumors about a possible wet dock for the NOordam I called HAL and spoke with a very nice person --- she checked in a number of places to see how true this rumor could possibly --- her findings were that - at this time there did not appear to have a wet dock scheduled --- I told her that the problem could possibly be with the stabilizers on the ship - once again she checked another source of information and still could not find anything --- however she did mention that PERHAPS there MIGHT be a slight change in the itinery due to the fact that the Noordam would be traveling slower than usual ---- don't know what this could mean - but she also suggested that it may be a good idea to check again in a couple of days ---- I guess it is just a matter of wait and see and to keep our fingers crossed ---

The end of WHICH month are they talking about?

The end of December?

Or the end of January?

Also ... please note that seas can be VERY rough in the Atlantic this time of year ... worse than transatlantic crossings in the Fall or Spring. So ... that doesn't mean a great deal.

I'm going to shoot Calm_Seas an e-mail and see if she can find out anything. She's aboard the Noordam right now.

Oh, don't get everyone's feathers ruffled over a rumor. I still very much doubt it. What Rev Neal sad about the rough seas is true and time can be lost with headwinds. The deal also says San Juan is called on only if conditions permit. Wouldn’t bother me if we overnighter in NYC, especially with some compensation.

Mark….

Hmm...this is starting to get really interesting. I checked the Jan 27th Noordam cruise situation a couple of days ago from HAL website and there were several cabins still available (actually nearly all non-balcony stateroom classes were still open). When I checked the same cruise just a couple of minutes ago it was completely removed...meaning:

a) it's completely sold out (hmm.....from neearly all oceanview and inside classes open to completely sold out in a couple of days...)

b) it's become a charter (which I sincerely doubt)

c) the sailing is closed due to the wet/dry dock they are planning for Jan 27th (+ 3-4 days)...

Just wanted to let you know...now this cruise is again showing up in HAL's reservation system and it has availability on NN staterooms...so I suppose there is nothing "wrong" with this cruise! :) :) :)

Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't read this thread. I'm also sailing on January 6th, and the last words I wanted to see were, 'trouble with the stabilizers'! I know how rough the north Atlantic can be this time of year, and I'm thinking good thoughts, but I'm still packing Bonine! Please, no stabilizer problems!:eek:

I wonder why 70% of the crew are leaving such a great ship.......

IF it's that high, it's unusual but there's noting sinister or problematic. The Line's version of BUPERS is always shifting crew around the fleet to meet the needs of various ships. And, of course, when contracts come to an end crew leave to go back home for a break before coming back to work for HAL. Don't try to make anything sinister out of it when crew leave. The Noordam IS a great ship ... but so are all the Damships. And, even the very best crew members don't stay aboard forever.

I wonder what it means for my cruise... possibly the last before the wet dock and before such a huge percentage of the crew take their 2 months off???

Carla ... when I'm aboard I will ask about it and there will be a report from the Noordam on this board from several of us that will be on that cruise ... so ... I'm sure that we'll have an answer for you by then. :)

1 Week from today I'm flying to NYC. :D

I hope you put this to rest Greg. There is no point in a wet dock. If there is a stabilizer problem as suggested, it will more than likely take a dry dock to fix it. If not, more than likely they will put divers over the side while at the pier. There is nothing they can't do pierside that they can do in a wet dock. A funky stabilizer will not stop the cruise, it is not a manditory piece of equipment for ship's operation. Do people even know the difference between a wet dock and a dry dock?? (not trying to rub people wrong here, just a question).

I hope you put this to rest Greg. There is no point in a wet dock. If there is a stabilizer problem as suggested, it will more than likely take a dry dock to fix it. If not, more than likely they will put divers over the side while at the pier. There is nothing they can't do pierside that they can do in a wet dock. A funky stabilizer will not stop the cruise, it is not a manditory piece of equipment for ship's operation. Do people even know the difference between a wet dock and a dry dock?? (not trying to rub people wrong here, just a question).

Thank you, Chief. I agree that there is a great deal of lack of understanding regarding what can and is usually done in a wet dock as opposed to a dry dock, and that it sounds like a dry dock would be needed for major stabilizer work. However, I AM going to ask about the rumor when I get aboard and see what I'm told ... just to see what the ship's officers have to say about it. I cannot help but wonder why some of the ship's staff is spreading this rumor.

Thus far I've not had a response from Lady Bird on this subject ... but, I gather she's busy having a blast aboard the lovely Noordam.

Carla ... when I'm aboard I will ask about it and there will be a report from the Noordam on this board from several of us that will be on that cruise ... so ... I'm sure that we'll have an answer for you by then. :)

1 Week from today I'm flying to NYC. :D

That's great, Greg, thank you. I know your busy season just ended so I hope you have FUN.

BTW, don't know if I ever told you but I did click on your weight loss links- good for you. It's a struggle, isn't it? Just when I think it's over- BOOM- 20 pounds comes right back on.

Archived