TSA Luggage Locks

cruisinbuddy

They look to be a nice quality. I'm thinking of getting a few for myself.

(After what happened to me recently on my return home last week ... ) One of my Samsonite locks got 'snipped' and my bag opened for a search. The 1st time ever this happened to me since those dumb, new rules were put in place!

Nothing was missing, but the note from TSA didn't help to make me feel secure at all. Bastards!

I'll be looking for those locks before my next trip. And at that price, it'll be worth it for my piece of mind.

Have a Happy New Year

:)

.......... since those dumb, new rules were put in place!

Nothing was missing, but the note from TSA didn't help to make me feel secure at all. Bastards!:)

I'm surprised that someone (especially from NJ) would question and do name-calling about SECURITY measures.:(

Cruisinbuddy ... Those 'new' TSA-approved locks came out not too long after 911. Seemed to be a good idea at the time.

However - From many, many posts on these boards, I've read that even though the officials at airports, cruise terminals, etc., have THE master key for these locks - there are still the ones who don't care, and will cut the locks off anyway. There are some who are just plain too lazy to go 'find' the master key.

So, in essence, any key from any luggage (or $2 WalMart package of 3/sets) will work just as well...and not nearly as expensive.

We have used TSA locks from Target for awhile, we like them so much we gave 6 sets to our various traveling pals for Christmas presents. We often have to point out to security that they are TSA locks and they have access to them! Duh! Mostly we fly through the checkpoints. And yes, they work. We had one suitcase that they inspected as there was a TSA note inside. We have also had one cut off! double duh!

Airport security people have been known to cut off TSA locks. At their cost, that doesn't appeal to me. Therefore I use plastic tie wraps. You can get a package of 100 for under $4.00. They come in various colors as well, I use red ones to make my bags stand out that much more.

I have had one cut during a flight, and they replaced it. Didn't even know it until we got home and started to unpack and found their note inside.

Cheers,

We use them and recommend them. I don't know what other people use, but we have the kind where if someone opens the lock, the little dot changes from green to red. They don't always put the notice in your luggage when they open it, and this way I know for sure. They also make ones that are like padlocks. I don't have any experience with those, but I don't believe they have any little indicators on them for when they are opened. I bought my set at our local AAA.

These are the new luggage locks that the TSA can unlock your luggage if they feel the need and then re-lock it. I guess they have a master key. Does anyone have any experience with these? I've just recently found these and was wondering about them.:confused:

Total waste of your money. IF TSA doesn't feel like getting the master key (too lazy, supervisor not available, etc. etc), they just cut them. Next time you are at the airport, check out the bolt cutters right by the screening area.

I bought some right after them came out. They were cut off within two months.

Total waste of my money. Buy some bright colored zip ties, available at Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart, etc. Not only are they cheap, but if you get brightly colored ones, it sure make it easier to spot your luggage. Don't forget to put some nail clippers in the outside pocket to cut them off.

We've used the TSA locks for cruising before, but we've always driven to the port. In September, we will be flying RT to Seattle and I've decided to use the colored zip ties. The TSA will replace them and leave their note. My thinking on this is that if someone decides to be lazy and cut off a lock (especially on the trip up), we would be SOL. We'll just pack extra zip ties and go that route.

:confused: Why is everyone so concerned with locking your luggage? I've been on numerous trips/cruises, and I haven't worried about locking my luggage. I saw a program on "60 minutes" probably 30 years ago, that if a thief wants in your luggage, they will get in your luggage with or without a lock. And the TSA has the right to inspect your luggage anyway. I usually don't put anything of real value in my luggage. Jewelry and camera equipment are with me in my carry-on. The one time I did lock my bag going to Italy, they asked me to unlock it when I checked it in, so now I don't even bother. I do have rainbow colored straps that go around the suitcase to keep them from coming open from rough handling. Just my curiosity?

:confused: Why is everyone so concerned with locking your luggage? I've been on numerous trips/cruises, and I haven't worried about locking my luggage. I saw a program on "60 minutes" probably 30 years ago, that if a thief wants in your luggage, they will get in your luggage with or without a lock. And the TSA has the right to inspect your luggage anyway. I usually don't put anything of real value in my luggage. Jewelry and camera equipment are with me in my carry-on. The one time I did lock my bag going to Italy, they asked me to unlock it when I checked it in, so now I don't even bother. I do have rainbow colored straps that go around the suitcase to keep them from coming open from rough handling. Just my curiosity?

You must have missed the program on 60 minutes about 5 to 10 years ago about the airline luggage handlers stealing from unlocked, (easy to get into), luggage.

Do not know about the TSA staff, I do use the TSA approved locks however plus brightly coloured straps around the case and yellow "flag nylon" wrapped around all handles to make it easy to see my luggage in the "hanger" and on the luggage whirlygig.

I have never had the TSA search , however on my last cruise a few weeks ago, a thief did try to access my case. It was fine through the flight, fine at the hotel and fine being handed in at the port. Almost 10 hours later left outside my cabin, one handle was hanging off, my name tag had been stolen and someone had tried to "jimmie" the lock holding the zips together. The lock held but the key I had no longer worked, maintenance had to use a bolt cutter to remove it. The ship repaired the handle , I had spare name tag and lock with me for the return journey.

The case contained only clothing.

I certainly feel locking the cases is a worthwhile precaution . For instance in April I will be flying from FL, through Dallas, to LA to Sydney, to a hotel and then on to the ship,my cases are going to be "available" for many miles and through many hands before once again I am unpacking in my cabin. Who knows what thief will be tempted on that journey .

:confused: Why is everyone so concerned with locking your luggage? ?

Well.......maybe because the cruiselines SAY to lock your luggage???:D They tell you emphatically to lock your luggage before handing over to the porters at the pier (who are not cruiseline employees but employed by the port authority).

About flying - I never bother locking luggage - never have.

I fly with my golf clubs at least a couple of times per year. I think the TSA has always searched my golf travel bag. Because of this, I don't even worry about locking anything anymore. So far nothing's come up missing.

I do think the zip ties are a good idea to keep the zippers from opening.

I've used the TSA locks on my last few flights... I don't know why, but the entire U-shaped piece now comes out when I unlock it! Makes me wonder how secure the little sucker is... I just use one to keep the zipper from unzipping anyway, if a thief really wants to get into my soft-sided luggage all he needs is a knife... or something to pop the zipper (someone once posted that zippers can be separated with something as simple as a ballpoint pen)

"...The TSA will replace them and leave their note..."

That's what we thought too, then last summer TSA cut the cable ties off of every zipper on our three pieces of luggage, left only one note in one bag, and replaced nothing...

Heck, if TSA opens your luggage, consider yourself lucky if everything makes it back in the suitcase. I've seen stuff sitting at the TSA screening spots that obvioiusly came out of suitcases and didn't make it back in. If the screening area is in a spot I can watch, I generally wait to see my bags make it through before moving on.

Archived