What did you NOT use?

playfulgen76

not that i didn't get any, but i didn't use them and now what may come.......won't be a bad thing

ahhh the best kind of souvenir!!! :)

okay let's summarize:

LESS clothes

ECONOMIZE your shoes to your tastes/wardrobes/interests/needs

RECONSIDER duct tape, insulated mugs, towels, water bottles, walkie talkies

MORE medicine & batteries

ENOUGH wine.... and protection (as needed :))

thank you all for the advice... keep it coming! i'm already packing... oh geez

When I cruise or go on any vacation I throw out most of the clothes I bring. I bring my old socks, underwear, T-shirts(I get dozens free each year from the liquor suppliers) any shirts I haven't wore in the past year, also any old pants. The clothes are of good quality and are resort casaul, my DW just buys me so much new clothes each year that I need to clean out my closet at least twice a year. My suitcase is very light on the flight home which is good because I'm wore out from vacation and don"t have the enery to carry the haevy one I brought to start.:)

After spending many months here reading before our first cruise in September, the things we brought and never used......

• the bungee cord for the balcony door - it was just way too hot/humid let the AC out of the cabin and the more we thought about it we realized it's a waste of energy and a strain on the ship's resources
  • the power strip - for just two of us, we didn't have anything to plug in except my curling iron before dinner some nights and the battery charger for the camera but we also travel without a lot of electronics - no computer, left the mp3 at home, turned the cell phones of all week, etc.
  • a last minute removal from the suitcase was air freshener and we never needed it either

On the other hand we were really glad we had brought clothespins to weigh down the shower curtain in the bathroom and hang wet bathing suits on the clothes line with. I was also glad I brought a couple of my old "thinner" beach towels from home to take on excursions - much smaller and lighter to carry than the ship's big towels and they made great padding in the suitcase for the liquor we brought back. I was also glad I brought my own small travel size clock.

I really need to learn to pack all over again for a cruise. Our first two, we took the auto train and our car was packed with no weight limit (or number of bags limits either). This next cruise we'll be flying to San Diego for 4 or 5 days before we drive to Long Beach. For the first time going on a cruise I really will have a limit. Not that I brought 10 bags previously, but I didnt' have to think about weight or limit carryons either. I've got over 9 months to figure it out;)

One thing I do is, I buy some zip off cargo pants and wear them down. A couple quick zips and boom, I'm in shorts. I just stuff them in the carry on and we're good to go. DW brings 4 pairs of shoes, runners, wears them down,beach,casual dinner, and formal. Me, formal, sandals & the runners i'm wearing down too. I like to get t shirts so I bring down @ 4 and buy a souvenier and wear it.

Yep! Clothes & shoes - 1st cruise (not knowing quite what to expect) we took 3 BIG bags + 2 carry-on sized (we drove to Galveston). Included were change of clothes for each day and each evening + formalwear + shoes, etc.:rolleyes:

2nd cruise we took 1 medium bag and 1 carry-on sized (skipped "formal" night). T-shirts, shorts & tennies were "uniform of the day." ;)

Len

Just my 2 cents, but we had to use the duct tape. Husband laughed at me for bringing it but when our luggage was delivered to our room one was ripped really bad .... but never fear, duct tape was here! Had we not had it we would have had to but a new suitcase. Also, we use the power cord for our laptop which actually worked in our room. Have a great trip!

I agree with the half the clothes and shoes. I just do laundry on board early in the morning while everyone is still sleeping. Also do it on the last day so I can pack clean clothes and don't have to wash so much when I get home.

I don't bring tote bags or backpacks anymore for port trips. I just buy one on the ship usually get them cheap and they make a nice souvenier.

The things I bring that I always use and wont leave home without are:

Travel alarm clock- I like having it next to my bed so I can see what time it is. Also wake up calls don't work well for us. We need the snooze button to remind us multiple times to get up.

Downey Wrinkle releaser- Spray it on run the hair dryer over the wrinkle poof wrinkle gone and didnt have to leave my room to find the iron.

Travel first Aid Kit- Advil, seasick meds. bandaids, Immodium, cold and sinus meds,antibiotic ointment, pepcid and tums and Airborne. We take the Airborne before we get on the plane and the ship also on the return flight home. My son got a cold on the last cruise and I was glad I had the cold and sinus meds. Pepcid and Immodium well you know all those new foods.

Anything else I can pretty much grab in port or on the ship. But with meds I feel I need to bring my own as I like certain brands and the prices on board are not good for these type of items.

First cruise, I packed WAY too many clothes and shoes. You really only need a couple swimsuits, a couple pairs of shorts, couple tops, mix & match your dinner outfits, and your formal wear. Try to cut down on shoes.

We did not use:

power strip ~ we only needed the outlet for my blowdryer & curling iron. If you have a lot of gadgets that need to be recharged, you might need the power strip.

over-the-door-shoe-hangar ~ on our 2 cruises, on Spirit class ships, there was plenty of counter and shelf space in the bathroom. If you are on an older ship, you might need the extra storage space of the shoe hangar.

Tap light, night light, flash light ~ I took all of these our 1st cruise. We had inside cabin, but I still hardly used any of these. One would be enough. Next cruise I only took the small flashlight, and never had to use it.

I didn't use some of the shoes that I brought on our last cruise, but I don't think I'll be bringing any fewer pairs on our next one. ;) :D

I never know what I'll be in the mood for, so it's best I bring lots of shoes.

I agree with you! I brought 11 pairs on my Miracle cruise, and I used every pair. Yes, I could have pared down, but I have all the shoes to go with my outfits so I want to use them!

I generally pack 4 outfits a day (workout outfit, sundresses for the day, cocktail dresses for dinner & shows, "going out" clothes for the disco). The only things I didn't use on this past cruise were a tank top and a cotton shirt that I was going to use as a bathing suit cover, but found something I liked better on board.

Come to think of it; I don't know how I got all my stuff in 1 suitcase:p And they were wrinkle free (I used Ziploc Big Bags for my 14 :eek: dresses).

I'm one those people who go on vacation and pack about 15 tank tops, 10 shirts, 3 jeans, 3 cocktail dresses, etc. etc. etc. etc. for a 4 nighter, lol.

I followed some advice I found on the board last time-roll up your clothes! I found they didn't wrinkle at all, and I was able to fit everything into 24" pullman! :) I even rolled the dirty clothes as well, and away we went!

Now I don't need to pare down anything!!! Well, I have pared down some, I just like to have a variety of outfits to choose from (sigh).

We don't take the alarm clock-we just use the cell phone, as it has an alarm clock with a snooze feature as well! And we take all medications in 'travel' sizes now, rather than the full sizes.

The first night - NO formal wear. I packed 4 gowns for a 4 nighter on Elation not knowing that the first night at dinner on board is called "CASUAL NIGHT" :o :rolleyes:

Yes. That's a good point to make to someone who hasn't cruised. first night dinner in dining room is absolutely casual because it is expected that all luggage may not yet be delivered.

Oh -- and on that note -- carry on bag shld have flip flops, sunscreen and bathing suit so you can head to pool!

Just returned today from our first cruise. Next time we will take only 1/4 of the clothes. I used the dispenser that was in the shower for shampoo (Ivory)and body wash (lever 2000). Had never tried either one but they worked fine. We did use the extension cord - cell phones, battery charger for camera, i pod charger etc. We barely had the balcony door open so there was no need for anything to hold open the door. Wish we would have had duct tape as my sister's luggage arrived with the zipper ripped out.

I didn't use some of the shoes that I brought on our last cruise, but I don't think I'll be bringing any fewer pairs on our next one. ;) :D

I never know what I'll be in the mood for, so it's best I bring lots of shoes.

If you bring lots of shoes, (like I always do), consider bringing one of those hanging shoe bags. It only takes up 6 inches of closet space and was great for putting in pairs of shoes and purses. Then you have more shelf space for clothes. I also take a pop-up laundry bag. It fits flat in the suitcase, but is great for dirty clothes during the week. I just put it in the corner of the cabin.

Don't bring as many shorts/tops as you might want to. I always bring way too many and end up only wearing at the most 2 pair. I mostly wear swimsuit and coverup during the day. But I wear capri slacks at night, due to the ship being too cold at night to wear shorts. It helps to have solid colors, so you can wear different tops with same pair pants.

In reading these posts you can see that everyone is different and has their own tastes, but at least it gives you ideas. I say, pack whatever you think you'll feel comfortable in...I've been known to wear only a bathing suit all day, dinner clothes, then a "comfy" jogging suit after dinner for nightime activities. That's the beauty of cruising, if you're all about comfort then you can go to the disco or to karaoke wearing anything you want and it doesn't matter! So, just think about being yourself and you will pack all the right stuff!

I definitely agree with the medicine kit, though...it's nice to have what you need to treat a headache or indigestion anytime you need it...I always go prepared that way.

We don't take the alarm clock-we just use the cell phone, as it has an alarm clock with a snooze feature as well!

If you use your cell phone for your alarm clock, just remember that it will automatically change to the time zone you are in. The ship usually stays on the time zone of the port it originated in. So, ships sailing out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa will be on Eastern Time. You will probably be visiting ports in different time zones, meaning your cell phone would be on a different time zone than the ship, so you would need to remember that if using the cell phone as an alarm.

You can also ask for a wake-up call (automated) from the phone in your cabin.

In reading these posts you can see that everyone is different and has their own tastes, but at least it gives you ideas. I say, pack whatever you think you'll feel comfortable in...I've been known to wear only a bathing suit all day, dinner clothes, then a "comfy" jogging suit after dinner for nightime activities. That's the beauty of cruising, if you're all about comfort then you can go to the disco or to karaoke wearing anything you want and it doesn't matter! So, just think about being yourself and you will pack all the right stuff!

I definitely agree with the medicine kit, though...it's nice to have what you need to treat a headache or indigestion anytime you need it...I always go prepared that way.

The question was "what did you not use"?, not "what should I bring"? I think you learn by asking what others brought and needed or didn't need and by your own experience. And then pack whatever you're willing to carry. I also think some people overpack thinking they can't get anything on board or in port. Just about everything you can think of is available on the ship or in the ports you will visit.

As far as clothes and shoes, you probably need to decide for yourself. NO WAY will I spend one minute of my vacation doing laundry. But, I live in Florida and can drive to most ports. I brought way too many shoes last time, and too few long-sleeve shirts - I get very cold in AC. You don't need most of what you find on those packing lists though. Hair dryer (there's a small one in the room), shoe hanger (closet held all my DH and my clothes and shoes no problem), power strip (we don't make phone calls or go online from boat, and don't own an IPod) were all unneccessary. Med kit is a good idea, and though shampoo and soap are in the shower there is no conditioner. Wish I would have brought hand/body lotion, and they didn't have that in the shops either. Maybe at the spa, but I'm not paying that much. I didn't use highlighters either, but postits might have come in handy. I brought a cheap digital watch w/an alarm. My cell phone does not work at all on cruise ships, for some reason (DH's does, and we both have sprint), even though they're supposed to have service fleetwide by now, so don't depend on it to tell time. Don't stress too much though. HAve fun!

I absolutely love the over the door hanging shoe bags. I always pack one but I don't use it for shoes - we use it for sunglasses, sunscreen, id (when we are in the room), etc. It becomes the place for all of the little stuff rather than just setting it on the table or vanity area.

We have never needed our seasickness medication and if we ever do it's available for free on the ship.

With all of the stuff on my list (holy smokes!) I have got to narrow it down. LOL What did you pack, but didn't use? Or what just wasn't worth the room it took up in your suitcase?

we did not use extension cord,bungee cords,toilet tissue or seat covers as we did not use bathroom in cosumel.

we did use the over the door hanger,lysol,air freshners, night lights.

you just learn by experience...lol

If you use your cell phone for your alarm clock, just remember that it will automatically change to the time zone you are in. The ship usually stays on the time zone of the port it originated in. So, ships sailing out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa will be on Eastern Time. You will probably be visiting ports in different time zones, meaning your cell phone would be on a different time zone than the ship, so you would need to remember that if using the cell phone as an alarm.

You can also ask for a wake-up call (automated) from the phone in your cabin.

I had to take a second to think about that one! And then I had to run and grab the Capers for verification, lol. :)

We sailed to Belize and Mexico before, both in different time zones from the originating port. The Capers said on it both times 'remember to put your clock behind __ hours' the night before and then when it was time to change it again the next day the Capers told you what to do as well. So worrying about the cell phone wasn't a problem-since it did it automatically, we were covered. ;)

This was 2005 though, has something changed in policy? We're going back to Mexico in 4 weeks.

For those of you who would like to take duct tape, but do not want to carry the whole roll, my husband devised a travel size version. Simply use an old credit card (in our case, an old video store membership card) and lap the tape around it a few times. He actually keeps it in his wallet for emergencies. It's come in handy a few times.

I had to take a second to think about that one! And then I had to run and grab the Capers for verification, lol. :)

We sailed to Belize and Mexico before, both in different time zones from the originating port. The Capers said on it both times 'remember to put your clock behind __ hours' the night before and then when it was time to change it again the next day the Capers told you what to do as well. So worrying about the cell phone wasn't a problem-since it did it automatically, we were covered. ;)

This was 2005 though, has something changed in policy? We're going back to Mexico in 4 weeks.

I had to grab my Capers to double check also! LOL!

Each of our Capers from our Miracle cruise March 2006 says "Keep your watches on ship's time!" We were in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

I think it may vary from ship to ship, though. The best advice is to check your Capers closely and be aware that if you are instructed to keep to "ship's time", the cell phone alarm method may not work. ;)

Archived