Dog sledding in Skagway or Juneau?

lolane1

We'll be on the Serenade in August/September and have a choice of this excursion in both Skagway and Juneau. Has anyone done this trip from either of these ports?

We just got back today from our Radiance cruise (and post stay in Vancouver)! What an AWESOME experience! The only two days we had rain were both the at sea days. The weather was in the 70's at each of the ports.

We did the dog sledding excursion in Juneau with Coastal Helcopters. We booked it on our own, as it was quite a bit cheaper than booking through Royal Caribbean. Coastal picked us up right on the dock and took us to their heliport by van.

My 71-year-old mother was with us, and although able to walk, she can't walk far, so she was using her wheelchair. There were 5 of us total (my mom, hubby, me, and our two sons -- 10 and 5). After fitting all of us with over-boots, they wheeled my mom right out to the helicopter and helped her inside.

The helicopter flight was great! We flew for about 30 minutes over the Juneau icefield as our pilot gave us some information about what we were seeing. The sky was a bit hazy due to some wildfires that were burning in Canada, but we were still treated to great sights!

As soon as we landed on the glacier, the mushers met us with a sled in tow. The helped my mom down from the helicopter and immediately seated her on the sled. They then pulled the sled over to where the first dog team was waiting and hooked her sled behind the lead sled. What service!!! She didn't even have to worry about slipping on the snow.

My youngest son sat on the front sled with our musher, Brock, and I "drove" the rear sled that my mom was seated on. My husband and 10 year old son traded off "driving" the 2nd team of dogs with their musher (I can't remember her name).

To say that this was a wonderful experience doesn't do it justice! The views of the surrounding terrain were awesome, and the actual dog sledding experience was exhilirating. Those dogs sure do love to run! We had to take several breaks because the temperature was about 55 degrees, which is quite warm for the dogs. Each time we'd stopped, they'd roll in the snow to cool off! We took about a two mile trek around the snow covered glacier. At one point, our musher pointed out an avalance that had happened earlier in the day. We could see some ice-covered rocks at the bottom of where the snow had slid. From where we were, the rocks looked like they were about a block or so away and about two feet across. Much to our surprise, we were told that they were more than a mile away, and the size of a pickup truck!!! (Just goes to show how things look very different when you're in the middle of nowhere and don't have any reference points!)

After our loop around the glacier, we ended up back where we started, and had a chance to meet all of our dogs. As Brock took my son and me up to meet each of the dogs, one of the other mushers brought his dog over to meet my mom (who was still on the sled). "Rockstar" was a beautiful husky, and soooo gentle! He put his front paws up on my mom's lap, and was content to "sit" that way for about 10 minutes while she petted him. I just thought this was such a nice thing to do for her, since she couldn't walk over to meet the dogs who had pulled us.

All too soon it was time to go, and our helicopter returned to pick us up. Once again, the guys towed the sled with my mom on it over to the helicopter and helped her aboard. Again, what service!

To say that we all had a fabulous time is an understatement! It's been about a week and a half since the dogsled ride, and my mom is still talking about one of the "highlights of her life"! (My sons, hubby, and I readily agree!)

I know this has been quite a long post, but for any of you who are thinking about taking this excursion, I can't recommend it enough. And for anyone who may be traveling with an older parent, grandparent, etc. don't hesitate. You'll have a great time!

Although I will not be able to describe our trip as elegantly as Orion did, we also did the dog sledding with Coastal in Juneau. We also booked ourselves through Orca since we went whale watching first and the folks at Orca dropped us off at the airport. The experience on the glacier were wonderful and the dog sledding was awesome. It was one of our favorite excursions.

Historically- Juneau glacier dog sledding is the most canceled Alaska excursion, Skagway next in line. :) But they usually are closed by the first week in Sept, last season closed in August. Contact the venders directly and inquire if this tour is likely??? Coastal out of Juneau, TEMSCO out of Skagway. I have never made it- canceled upon twice. :(

Orion, what a beautiful description. I can't believe how accommodating they were to your mother. Well, I can believe it, but nevertheless, it was a really, really nice thing to do. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such a great review.

PlutO and Budget Queen, thank you also. I will check with the individual carriers, as you mentioned BQ, especially since the cruise goes into the first week of September. :)

I am doing the RCCL helicopter/dogsledding tour in juneau

I always book with RCCL for the security of a guarantee or money back

Folgy,

What does Royal Caribbean guarantee? Do you mean that if it's cancelled, you'll get your money back? If so, you might want to check out Coastal. They have a 48 hour cancellation full refund policy. If you cancel within 24 hours, they charge 10%. If the flight is cancelled due to weather or because the ship is delayed, there is no charge. (They do try to reschedule.) Coastal's price was quite a bit cheaper than RCI's, that's why we booked with them.

Folgy- you have no more "guarantees" with the ship than you would booking direct- Any canceled excursion by the vender will have a full refund- IF you are concerned about missing your ship- book early in the port day- then no chance. Coastal is a superb company that I have flown with 3 times. Glacier dog sledding $365. The ship contractor is ERA.

Cmeyers- the cart rides don't cancel.

Do you know the name of the glacier the dog sled camp is located on? I'm going through my pictures, and trying to write notes to myself about them, but I can't remember the name of the glacier. Can you help?

Hopefully next time you've got the helicopter/dog sled excursion booked, it won't be cancelled. It was awesome! We're still talking about it...

Orion- contact Coastal directly and inquire. I actually have dog sledded in Alaska- and drove my own sled (no tantem driver) twice on my winter trips. (had to go to "mushers" school) So not a total loss. :)

Hi everyone, Thanks again for the input.

Folgy,

I read the excursion information on Royal Caribbean are they say that if the dog sledding portion is cancelled due to weather, they will operate the tour as a helicopter excursion with glacier landing. Price would be adjusted. Does that mean you are committed???????? I want the dog sledding portion wayyy more than the helicopter flight, although it's spectacular, I'm sure. But if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I really want to do the dog sledding.

The price difference is 365 for local and 419 for cruise excursion = less expensive for the same experience, plus definite refund if you can't mush.

Orion.

From the RC site, the following information was provided: "Fly over the Juneau Icefield and land on the Middle Branch of the Norris Glacier, home of the exclusive dog mushing camp."

This might be the glacier name you are looking for.

Hi everyone, Thanks again for the input.

Folgy,

I read the excursion information on Royal Caribbean are they say that if the dog sledding portion is cancelled due to weather, they will operate the tour as a helicopter excursion with glacier landing. Price would be adjusted. Does that mean you are committed???????? I want the dog sledding portion wayyy more than the helicopter flight, although it's spectacular, I'm sure. But if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I really want to do the dog sledding.

The price difference is 365 for local and 419 for cruise excursion = less expensive for the same experience, plus definite refund if you can't mush.

Orion.

From the RC site, the following information was provided: "Fly over the Juneau Icefield and land on the Middle Branch of the Norris Glacier, home of the exclusive dog mushing camp."

This might be the glacier name you are looking for.

GULP!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: I think after this I will look for non-RCCL excursions.

GULP!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: I think after this I will look for non-RCCL excursions.

Folgy, call Coastal and see if they have any dog sledding tours open for the day you'll be there. You never know... They get cancellations all the time. If they have openings, you still have time to cancel with Royal Caribbean without penalty.

On the day we flew with them, we had 9 of us scheduled to go -- 5 in one helicopter and 4 in the 2nd (with pickup an hour later). On our way to the heliport, they got a radio call that someone had just called for a tour. We stopped and picked the guy up on the way. He ended up going on the glacier landing instead of the dog sled tour, but there was obviously one spot left in our helicopter and 2 in the one that followed us, had he decided that he wanted to dog sled.

For the difference in price and the big difference in cancellation policies, it would be worth it to check Coastal out. Like Lolane1 said, the dog sled portion of the tour was far more important to us than the helicopter ride. I definitely would not have wanted to pay for just the helicopter ride.

Coastal's website for the dog sled tours is:

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/t_dogsled.htm

and their phone number is: 1-800-789-5610

Lolane1 -- Thanks for the glacier information! I appreciate it!

Archived