Soverighn Review

NEAL52

My family of 4 just got off on Friday. We were on the 8th deck. 2 adults , 2 15 yr. old boys. I`m baffled as to why people have been critical of this ship. The room was small but it didn`t matter. We occasionally saw our kids in the 3 days that we were on board so must of the time it was just wife and I. We ate breakfast and late afternoon snack in The Windjammer and late seating dinner in Illusions. I`ve read complaints about the food in both. We found the food to be very good at both places. The service we received every where on the ship was great.

Overall. our experience on Sov. of the Seas was great and we can`t wait to do the same cruise next year.

Thanks for the review! I was on her in Oct and had a blast. I am in the car rental industry and I can tell you that there are people in this world who are unhappy no matter what. I truely believe they just like to hear themselves complain. Like many have said, a cruise is what you make of it.:)

I love the SOS and had a great time on both my voyages. Living in Orlando, you just cant beat the price and convenience. Crew and food were great both times.

I agree, sometimes people just wont be happy unless they complain about something....Its a cruise, how bad can it be??

We were on her in June and again this past Dec. It was the first cruise for four of our party of 11. Everyone loved it and are ready to go again. Our rates in Dec. were great. Less than half of June's. It is easy for us to take time off in early Dec. so will do that again. We thought the food was great. Did have a slight odor on occassion. We were on deck 2. Service was wonderful, entertainment great. What is there to complain about?!?!:cool:

Taking our 5th trip on the Sovereign in April, so that should tell you something. Guest that talk neg about the ship dont sail her again, which is good news for us, more room for us. The ship is special to our hearts, the Sovereign was the first ship that we have ever cruise on. When we do our yearly short cruise we sail on her. Good food, excellent service etc. Great prices, we also check the web page for even lower fares. RCCL has always honored the lower fares.

Cathy & Mike

We were on the same sailing - just getting home last night after a LONG two day drive back to Michigan!

We liked the Sovereign, but I can't say we loved her. Of course, our first cruise was on the Explorer so it's hard to compare. Port Canaveral is an absolute breeze compared to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, both coming and going.

The food and service were top notch, as always. I did a cruise 2 years ago on a different line and I think we will stay loyal to RCCL from now on - they really are a notch above in my opinion.

There was a smell now and again in the hallway by our rooms (deck 6) and elevators. My boys kept accusing each other of gross bodily functions.

CocoCay was absolutely wonderful and the high light of our trip. The weather was perfect and it was exactly what we were looking for on this cruise, a relaxing get-away. The cruise director was also adorable and I truly don't think I encountered one employee who didn't go above and beyond.

I think the Sovereign is a great value and just perfect for a short little jaunt. For our family, we're glad we tried it but will probably look for a newer and bigger ship for next year. However, I would never bash the Sovereign as she is definitely nice and just the perfect start to what will probably be a dreary winter.

1sr night we both had chicken Marsala. 2nd night we both had Sliced filet of beef. 3rd night we had sirloin steak. I also ordered 2 appitizers every night that included, shrimp cocktail, scallops, french onion soup, escargote, ceasar salad. The dinners every night were great and came out hot.

Also, at no point of our cruise did we experience any unusual odors.

Neal,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Do you remember the other options they had? I'm a big seafood fan. I was wondering if they had any dishes with seafood. Also, can you share the desserts? Do you have copies of the Compass? I hate to be such a bother, but we are getting close to sailing and I want to have an idea what to expect!

Thank you so much!!

Sorry can`t remember the seafood dishes. We are obviously meat lovers. Also, did not bring home the compass. Theres plenty to do or nothing to do. It all depends on what you are looking for. My wife and I were looking for r & r. For us, Nassau was a complete waste of time and Coco Cay was heaven.

We have been on the Sovereign twice --once before refurbishment-- and once after-- These two cruises were our first ones and we loved it both times-- great for a short getaway-- Would sail her again in a heart beat but now we are going to do a voyager class in two weeks!!! HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL AND HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!

Wow, this great. We are so happy to hear the positive side. We have 3 cruises scheduled on Sovereign between now and June. With all the negative nancys hanging about we were getting worried. Although, the wife's Sister and her Hubby told us it was great it was still nice to hear from ya'll.

Thanks to everyone who bothered to tell the good side. All to often people will not report the positive, but, many are so ready to go on and on about the bad.

Wooohooo, we going cruisin. :D

As far as the food goes - I can't remember everything that we had but here's a sampling:

In the dining room there were several different seafood offerings - shrimp cocktail and some delicious scallop dish for appetizers, as well as salmon and mahi mahi (I can't remember which nights - sorry) as main courses.

The first night, my son ordered a pasta dish and half-way through dinner our waiter brought him a black angus steak because he's a "growing boy" - my son was thrilled! Steak is on the menu every night in the "alternative" category (or something like that).

For our three day sailing, the first night was Venetian themed, second night was the Captain's dinner and third night was Feast of the Nations. I remember ordering turkey that night with all the trimmings. For desert, key lime pie - yum! I told my kids sometime during the cruise they had to try at least one thing different and my daughter ordered a curry dish that she wasn't too crazy about but other than that I heard no complaints from anyone.

The "afternoon delights" in the Windjammer is another complete meal - hamburgers, hotdogs, tacos, various sweets, etc. I was expecting chips and salsa - haha!

The midnight buffet was a sight to behold - whole roasted pigs, mini-sandwiches, tacos, a HUGE desert table - just incredible. A little hint - it was supposed to start at midnight but they let people start filling their plates around 11:40 or so. We were pulled up right alongside the Disney Magic which has a large screen t.v. on their pool deck, so we sat up top while enjoying our snacks and watched a college football game.

We were just on the Sovereign in November and thought it was a great cruise. The room was small but the food and entertainment were both very good. You can't beat it for the price. We took our grand-daughter and she loved the kids program. She loved ordering room service every night at bedtime and getting her milk and cheese tray.

Hi,

My oldest son and I are taking a quick cruise on Sov. and we leave on Monday. We cannot wait to go. Been on Serenade/AOS and looking forward to a small ship. Keep your fingers crossed for great weather!!

Archived