Lost In Space! What are the chances of luggage making it???

remydiva

Due to the wicked weather in Texas, dd and bf had their connecting flight out of Dallas-FortWorth cancelled, along with several other flights. DFW kept their luggage and would not release it for some reason, probably due to chaos.

They have made it by rental car to NOLA, boarded the Golden and are safe but shaken.

DFW said their luggage would be put on the 'first plane out' but 24 hrs later, when they checked in person at NOLA airport, it had not arrived. Princess says the bags will be sent (by carrier pigeon?? helium balloon?) to their first port of call, Montego Bay in Jamaica which is two days away.

I would like to be able to email her and tell it will likely be all OK.

Have other CCers had a positive outcome from this sort of situation?? Will the bags arrive?

Thats a tough call. I think if it were me I would keep my fingers crossed on this one as the airlines are just not known to be that efficient in times of bad weather.

But I will keep my fingers crossed also that the luggage makes it to the first port.

Remember, IF they had insurance, it will pay for them to pick up certain items of necessity that they will be reimbursed for later on, which might help a little bit.

A few years ago, our luggage didn't make the flight either. We left Houston with just our carry ons. What fun it was going to formal night in sweat pants and sneakers :-).

But, our luggage was sitting on the dock when we arrived in Cozumel.

As long as they have filled out all the necessary forms, it should arrive okay.

Vette

Thanks Vette: A few more questions for you:

Did you have to go get your luggage then from the dock or did they bring it by tender and deliver to your room?

And did you have your ship tags on it already or just airline tags???

And Forms from the ship or forms from the airline or both??

Good to hear one positive story....any more???

We will cross our fingers and hold our thumbs that the luggage arrives, please keep us posted to how this turns out so we can use our fingers and thumbs for others that need it:D :D

I really need to remember to take extra clothes and underwear and toiletries in our overnight bag too:D :D

Thanks and Keep those fingers crossed and put the housework on hold till then!

Near as I can recall, her carryon (thanks to all the TSA restrictions) had only 5 pair of lovely shoes, her camera, spare batteries,travel wipes and a couple of pocket books...and maybe just maybe, her bathing suit.

See the 'Luggage Tag' thread for discussion on how to improve on this situation for the 'next cruise'.

oh, and itdjbw...I must have gotten on the Diamond as you got off as I did the 7 day Vancouver to LA repo in Sept. Nice!

Here's a tip for you... ALWAYS pack a bathing suit, an extra pair of undies and something black that will double as formal or informal that travels well, like jersey fabric, in your carry on. This way, if your luggage doesn't make sailaway you are not stuck for the entire cruise with nothing appropriate to wear. Jersey fabric can be literally rolled up into a ball and packed, then be shaken out or steamed easily.

I have a black jersey skirt that can double as a midcalf or floor length. Add a black jersey top or other easily packable top, belt or jewels and you are good to go for many nights. Having a bathing suit in the carry on is always a life saver...except maybe on Alaska sailings.;) The extra undies? One on and one off being laundered. All cruisesavers....after all, the shipboard shops don't carry every size...:cool:

Thanks Vette: A few more questions for you:

Did you have to go get your luggage then from the dock or did they bring it by tender and deliver to your room?

And did you have your ship tags on it already or just airline tags???

And Forms from the ship or forms from the airline or both??

Good to hear one positive story....any more???

Most of the time it will just show up at your hotel/ship, but it is harder with a ship since the ship moves around. As of Friday night there were still a whole lot of folks whose bags hadn't yet caught up with them after the pre-Christmas blizzard that hit Denver.

I think they'll just have to roll with it -- but I'm very glad they made the cruise even if their luggage didn't. Think of how sad it would be if it was the other way around.

Near as I can recall, her carryon (thanks to all the TSA restrictions) had only 5 pair of lovely shoes, her camera, spare batteries,travel wipes and a couple of pocket books...and maybe just maybe, her bathing suit.

See the 'Luggage Tag' thread for discussion on how to improve on this situation for the 'next cruise'.

oh, and itdjbw...I must have gotten on the Diamond as you got off as I did the 7 day Vancouver to LA repo in Sept. Nice!

..........only 5 pairs of shoes in her carryon.....and no underwear.....I would have had the underwear as top priority in my carryon......not shoes.......:)

Underwear is by far easier to buy ( and less expensive) than shoes. I think the girl did well having the shoes... if only she had some clothes to wear with them. :D

How about the BF, what did he have?

Was this a special occasion cruise and I am also curious of their ages? My DD and BF cruised together for DD's college spring break. We let them go because we thought he might propose to her onboard (BF is 5 years older.) Two years later and still no ring. :(

Iamthesea: yes, shoes are always harder to buy!

dd is 25 and bf is 29 and yes, a moonlit proposal on New Years Eve would've been pure magic but I suspect that won't happen (well, you and I can wish it anyways right?!).

They both work very hard at their careers and so this holiday was much needed and anticipated before jumping back into work in the New Year. I hope they can salvage something.

Oh and bf had a 20" carryon as well as checked luggage so I suspect he is making out better than she is. I mean the girl has no makeup for crying out loud!!!!

Underwear is by far easier to buy ( and less expensive) than shoes. I think the girl did well having the shoes... if only she had some clothes to wear with them. :D

agreed........however, assuming you will be without bags for a day or two..........and if you only have a few hours to board (which happens with most (if they get there the same day).........it is hard to have time to shop.........and you can not buy underwear on board...........and I would rather be changing underwear more often than shoes.....:D

Just my thought......and I respect your perspective...:)

Oh and bf had a 20" carryon as well as checked luggage so I suspect he is making out better than she is. I mean the girl has no makeup for crying out loud!!!!

I am a guy....so I am betting BF has underwear......:)

We (and 13 others in our group) were without luggage after a flight from SD to Venice.......got our luggage a day latter........my wife had her make up on..........slept on my shoulder on the flight......and smeared it ail over the only shirt I had to wear.......until we got our luggage.

It is frustrating to have this happen.......but we laugh about it now......especially about the fact that all 14 of us had our luggage arrive soaking wet.....because it was left out in the rain at JFK.....:eek: :D :eek:

agreed........however, assuming you will be without bags for a day or two..........and if you only have a few hours to board (which happens with most (if they get there the same day).........it is hard to have time to shop.........and you can not buy underwear on board...........and I would rather be changing underwear more often than shoes.....:D

Just my thought......and I respect your perspective...:)

I thought the couple made a trip to Target! :confused:

I thought the couple made a trip to Target! :confused:
I must have missed that on this thread.........I saw they were aboard the Golden.......two days to Jamacia.........with only carryons. So if they were able to stop at Target....then they should be in good shape...:)

My previous comments are how we travel in general.....so if you board near a Target and have time.....great...:)

It will be interesting to see if Princess can get their bags to Jamaica.

It was in another thread. Seems they must have gone by Target after checking with the NOLA airport.

Their luggage did not make it however in spite of DFW saying it would be out on the first flight of the day to NOLA...they went to the airport in person and it had not arrived. (see new thread 'Lost in Space').

So instead of the lovely new outfit dd had planned to wear on New Year's Eve, she is instead in a lovely frock from Target.:(

We carry our garment bags all the way through for just this reason. It's got our formal night clothes, and at least one day-casual and one evening-outfit in it. It's always one of our carryons (until recently, another carried all toiletries and essentials) because I worry about this.

I hope they meet up with their luggage tomorrow and I'm glad they made it onboard!!

There are arguments for and against putting your cruise tags on your luggage before flying out: this is a good reason why IMHO, it's a good idea. It makes it easier for the airlines, and Princess, to find and redirect.

Here's another tip: if you're traveling with someone else, split your clothing between two pieces of luggage. That way, if one suitcase gets delayed, no one's completely stuck.

We met a family of five on our Sun Princess cruise whose luggage had not made it. We met them the second day, in Princess Cays. When we saw them again in St. Thomas on the fourth day, their luggage had caught up. I don't know if Princess, the airline, insurance, or they had paid themselves for a few clothes from the giftshop to wear in the meantime.

Two years ago our luggage did not make it on our flight. Fortunately, we flew in the day before and our luggage was at our hotel early in the morning before we left for the port. That's another reason we like to fly down at least a day ahead.

Given the post by Fuzzzy who just got home to Seattle from a Panama cruise via DFW (see "Tornado Watch") and the mess he described at the airport with it being shut down, it would take a miracle for the airlines to find the bag, fly to NOLA (I'm assuming as this is the listed destination) and then to have NOLA redirect to the ship.

WE'll see if a miracle does happen...it IS the Christmas season so anything is possible!

Remydiva,

On our very first cruise in the early 1980s, DH, young daughter, and I each had one piece of luggage with all of our belongings. Both of their bags were delivered to our stateroom prior to early dinner but mine never showed up. The cruiseline did very little to accommodate me, but passengers who learned about my plight were more than generous in letting me borrow items of clothing from them. When we arrived at a port where I could shop, I purchased underwear, etc. to tide me over for the remainder of the cruise.

I'm sure that your daughter is disappointed to not have her own belongings, but I'm certain that other passengers have come to her aid and that she will experience the helpfulness and kindness that I did so many years ago. My luggage was eventually located - it had been on the ship the entire time! - and was returned to me about two weeks after we returned home.

There were some very important travel lessons that I learned from the unfortunate experience:

1. Unless you travel alone, don't pack all of your belongings in a single bag. Divide clothing, etc. among those in your party so that if a piece of luggage is lost, everyone will still have some of their things. DH and I now divide our clothing,etc. between bags whenever we travel.

2. Always carry at least one smaller bag for basic necessities in case of lost or misplaced luggage. A change of clothing, underwear, a second pair of shoes, swimsuit, personal care items, etc. that you can rely on until you're able to shop or your bag is located.

I hope your daughter's luggage is delivered to her while she's still onboard. My thoughts are with her; I know how frustrating this can be.

Chris

thanks Chris for your kind words.

I'm hoping too that she will reach out and let others help her. she is pretty stubborn and proud but I'm hoping that there will be a silver lining in this. People can be pretty amazing if you let them!

I had originally suggested 2 smaller suitcases which she nixxed as it is harder to handle.

'We' were stupid in packing her carryon...when she weighed her bigger piece it was over the 50 lb limit so I took all her shoes out and plunked them into the carryon (yes, it will be Mom's fault when this story is retold). I don't know why I (a seasoned traveller) dropped the ball on this one.

Perhaps it was because the previous 24 hrs had been a panic due the bf's lost money clip with his Visa and all his ID!!!!

It was finally found at the drycleaners in his pants pocket a mere 3 hrs before leaving for the airport (ok, that one is out for debate as to who's fault it was...bf should've checked the pockets or she should've before taking them to drycleaners as she dropped them off).

In any case, this WILL be a holiday they will never forget.

Our friends from AU who were on the B2B with us wanted to do that but weren't allowed cause of the Jones Act, looked like a good one, hope you enjoyed it.

thanks Chris for your kind words.

I'm hoping too that she will reach out and let others help her. she is pretty stubborn and proud but I'm hoping that there will be a silver lining in this. People can be pretty amazing if you let them!

I had originally suggested 2 smaller suitcases which she nixxed as it is harder to handle.

'We' were stupid in packing her carryon...when she weighed her bigger piece it was over the 50 lb limit so I took all her shoes out and plunked them into the carryon (yes, it will be Mom's fault when this story is retold). I don't know why I (a seasoned traveller) dropped the ball on this one.

Perhaps it was because the previous 24 hrs had been a panic due the bf's lost money clip with his Visa and all his ID!!!!

It was finally found at the drycleaners in his pants pocket a mere 3 hrs before leaving for the airport (ok, that one is out for debate as to who's fault it was...bf should've checked the pockets or she should've before taking them to drycleaners as she dropped them off).

In any case, this WILL be a holiday they will never forget.

And eventually have many good laughs from:D :D :D

Archived