Alaska Tax Surcharge

yogimax

From elleluv - "I'm curious if you were as shocked as I was when this passed... I was certain that this measure was going to go down in flames. We had a pretty wide circle of friends when we lived in Fairbanks and I knew absolutely not one single person that was going to vote "yes"."

I was not as shocked as I could have been. The ballot measure was vague and slanted towrd passage. Language such as should we impose a tax (no specific amount) on cruise passsengers and should cruise lines disclose certain additional consumer informations to passengers was used. This is another case of uninformed voters choosing something that sounds good. I had followed this measure because I like to cruise, but I think there were many consumers that did not realize the specifics.

I knew there was supposed to be a tax imposed on Alaska cruises, but when I booked my cruise in Nov. 2006 we thought the tax was already included in the price. When I looked today (before I read this thread) I noticed the difference. I did call and complain, simply because 1. they did not notify me, just tacked it on (maybe hoping maybe I wouldn't notice:confused: )

2. No email to tell me and

3. and I feel the booking price should not have changed ..as far as I'm concerned when I paid my deposit we contracted the cruise for that price.

I feel RCCL could have handled this better. I am thinking of cancelling on principal of the whole thing. We are traveling with others so must take that into consideration also.

I knew there was supposed to be a tax imposed on Alaska cruises, but when I booked my cruise in Nov. 2006 we thought the tax was already included in the price. When I looked today (before I read this thread) I noticed the difference. I did call and complain, simply because 1. they did not notify me, just tacked it on (maybe hoping maybe I wouldn't notice:confused: )

2. No email to tell me and

3. and I feel the booking price should not have changed ..as far as I'm concerned when I paid my deposit we contracted the cruise for that price.

I feel RCCL could have handled this better. I am thinking of cancelling on principal of the whole thing. We are traveling with others so must take that into consideration also.

Perhaps they could/should have handled it better, but they are in line with all other cruise lines in their imposing of it as an additional charge to bookings made without it included. As far as thinking it was already included, you know what they say about making assumptions. If I remember correctly, the law wasn't effective until late Nov/early Dec (even though it was voted on in August). They probably couldn't charge for it until it was in effect.

I agree that RCI didn't handle it very well.

I was never informed, my TA was never informed.

I only found out via my brother who found an obscure article about it online. I hooked up with Cruise critic to find out more. As of 2 weeks ago, they still hadn't gotten ahold me or my TA in ANY form WHATSOEVER regarding it.

They said that yes it would be implemented but that they hadn't gotten to my sail date yet for increase in fees.

I think the least they could have done was say, hey, this is a possibility while it was going to vote JUST SO people would know. Then when it passed say, JUST SO YOU KNOW...expect this increase.

It sucks but...c'est la vie!

I don't see that RCI handled it any worse, or better, than other cruiselines. There were plenty of articles about the Alaska referendum in the press and certainly a lot of discussion on these boards. I doubt that you will find any cruiseline, airline, hotel or tour company that doesn't, somewhere in their literature, note that all prices are guaranteed, when paid for, except for: tax increases or fuel surcharges. While it might be understandable that you missed the story pre- or post- referandum, the fact that your TA was unaware of this situation speaks poorly of his or her professionalism.

Does anyone read any contract they sign? Below is a quote that is in the legalese when you book a cruise with RCCL, (as well as all other cruise lines).

The cruise fares quoted also do not include any applicable government taxes, fees, or surcharges that may be assessed by any governmental agencies. Such assessment is subject to change without notice at any time whether or not you have a confirmed reservation under deposit or if you have made a final payment

Archived