Trip Insurance

mikebarnett

OK, now that my final payment is due for my March cruise, I have a few questions about trip insurance. Of course Carnival is asking me to get there's, but . . .

1. Should I get trip insurance for a 4 day cruise?

2. Where’s a good place to get it from? Carnival?

3. What kind of coverage should I look for?

4. What’s a good price for coverage?

Has anybody had dealings with tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com? and are they a good place to get insurance?

Thanks

I think most people here use insuremytrip.com

As for price.. that is going to vary by age.. mine for 7 day cruises is generally about $35-$40 for midlevel coverage (my main concern is medivac)

And yes, you should get insurance.

Where’s a good place to get it from? Carnival

Carnival will gladly sell you insurance for a higher price than you can buy from the site above. Insurance is a good idea whenever you can't afford to lose the cost [of whatever type] for your cruise

I think most people here use insuremytrip.com

As for price.. that is going to vary by age.. mine for 7 day cruises is generally about $35-$40 for midlevel coverage (my main concern is medivac)

And yes, you should get insurance.

I definately agree with GoinCruisin! Get the insurance if for nothing else for the medical evac coverage, that alone could run in the 10s of thousands of $$$$$$.

OK, now that my final payment is due for my March cruise, I have a few questions about trip insurance. Of course Carnival is asking me to get there's, but . . .

1. Should I get trip insurance for a 4 day cruise?

2. Where’s a good place to get it from? Carnival?

3. What kind of coverage should I look for?

4. What’s a good price for coverage?

Has anybody had dealings with tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com? and are they a good place to get insurance?

Thanks

We have cruised numerous times and our Christmas cruise is the only time I bought cruise insurance, I did have to go to the infirmary on of all days Christmas day with swimmers ear and the insurance will remburse me if I file. I bought the insurance (thru Travel Guard) only because we were traveling with small children who during this time of year have a tendency to come down with a multitude of illnesses, would I buy insurance again probably not. If you fly to the port, the insurance increases.

I definately agree with GoinCruisin! Get the insurance if for nothing else for the medical evac coverage, that alone could run in the 10s of thousands of $$$$$$.

Exactly!! That could bankrupt alot of people... we're talking anywhere from $10K-$50K for a medical evacuation... too many people think their insurance company will cover them for out of country, but fail to read their policy... many will cover you, but out of network... a $10K medical bill could cost you a few thousand bucks... makes $40 for insurance seem small. Also, out of the country, you would in most cases, be required to pay upfront... and if you are evacuated, your insurance company may require you be transported to the closest hospital, which could be in Jamaica :eek: There are FAR too many variables... and FAR too many people that come on here, not thinking they would trip and fall, breaking their leg/arm, face, thinking they wouldn't get hurt on an excursion, thinking the ship wouldn't leave them if they were late and they had to fly back with last minute international flights, etc. Too many people that think something won't happen to them, until it does. Travel insurance is SOOOOO cheap compared to what you could be facing... it's one of those things you hope to never use, but you are very thankful if ever faced with an emergency...

Everyone reading these travel insurance threads should understand that US Medicare and some group health insurance plans give no coverage outside the US. When I book a cruise or other trip outside of the US, I immediately purchase my travel insurance for the extra benefits provided by early purchase such as pre-existing conditions waiver.

Gaaaaaaawd I just checked into the insurance thing, and just looking at the quotes for us, does anyone have a preference? There are so many to choose from! I have health insurance thru work, I'll have to check on out of the country coverage, my hubby doesn't have any (stupid I know but $$$ when you get laid off from your job and have to work at odd jobs-and yes, it's cheaper saving for a cruise!) Both of us are fine healthwise so I never even thought about the medical insurance aspect! I need to get this done asap! Suggestions?

TinaJ

Can you purchase travel insurance after your final payment is due? How close to your sailing can you be?

Yes, you can buy a trip / travel / cruise insurance plan anytime before your take your cruise. You just have to get it before you leave home.

Go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good comparison sites that offer reputable companies.

I hope this helps.

Archived