Belize question

ToniH

Thinking about going on a West. Carrib Cruise and quite a few of the cruises include Belize. I am trying to find out more about this port however there is nothing on the Ports of Call board. Is this not a good place to go? Can someone give me some insight on this port?

Also--really want to go to Cozumel but it seems that you're only there till about 6 PM. Is that enough time for Carlos n Charlies? Had such a great time there in Aruba when we were there till about 10:00 PM two years ago that I have to go back. But everything exciting at C n C happened at night. It was dead til about 7 PM.

THX!!

There are plenty of excursions for Belize. Here is the link to the Ports of Call - Belize: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=109

We did the Shark/Ray tour to Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze. Many do the cave tubing, zip-lining or the Mayan ruins. I believe that there are also some eco-tours available.

Belize is a tendered port. The ship anchors quite a ways off shore and speed boat tenders take people back and forth. There is not an abundance of things to do there. It's pretty much beach/snorkeling excursions or the cave tubing, which is very cool. One thing you notice if you do an excursion in the interior, like the cave tubing, is how poor this country is. I'm talking squalid living conditions.. Many people live in houses literally made of sticks with no windows, no plumbing, and no electricity. But the people are friendly and we loved the cave tubing.

I was in Belize in December on the Valor. I loved Belize and am thinking about going back for my Honeymoon next year.

Take an excursion to Caye Caulker. 45 minute boat ride away from the port you tender into, but well worth it! The beaches are gorgeous and the snorkeling is top notch imho.

We booked a private charter with Tsunami Adventures when we went in December, our guide was Rene. HIGHLY recomended! We had a blast and the people at Tsunami were great. So was their food!

Belize was our favorite port with the Legend a few weeks ago. We're going back for a week for our next vacation. 5.5 hours was so not enough time in port (after tendering). We did the cave tubing through ***** Adventures. It was only $35 pp, and our guide (Carlos) was fantastic. There's a long thread about cave tubing on the Belize board, and I reviewed our excursion there. I definitely wouldn't worry about having nothing to do, especially if you like water. Also, I agree with others that C&Cs will be busy whenever the boats are in port. We spent the whole afternoon there while in with the Conquest last year.

We have been to Belize twice. It is beautiful but if you intend to leave the secured port are do so on a planned excursion with a reputable guide. We enjoyed just hanging out in the port area and found good shopping, food, and entertainment. Some of the people in our group did the cave tubing excursion with yhonny. They booked it on their own and save a bundle.

If you want a great guide, who will take you where you want to go....and will spend as much time as you want...the I would recommend www.thompsontours.bz ......email...reservation@thompsontours.bz ... Joseph is a great guy, and will go out of his way to see that you get where you want....he took a group of 9 of us for the whole day...and we really enjoyed it....check him out.....

jus me...jim....the velvet teddy bear...:cool:

:cool:

I was in Belize in December on the Valor. I loved Belize and am thinking about going back for my Honeymoon next year.

Take an excursion to Caye Caulker. 45 minute boat ride away from the port you tender into, but well worth it! The beaches are gorgeous and the snorkeling is top notch imho.

We booked a private charter with Tsunami Adventures when we went in December, our guide was Rene. HIGHLY recomended! We had a blast and the people at Tsunami were great. So was their food!

:cool: DO YOU HAVE A WEB PAGE FOR THIS PRIVATE CHARTER THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

For anybody who's interested...here's a link to a great map of Belize, kind of gives you a good idea of where everything is. Officially, it's a dive and snorkel map, but also shows where all the ruins, etc. are.

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map2.html

Great map - Thanks! Does anyone know where the caves are that you go to in cave tubing? It's not like I'm driving or anything, just curious as to where we will be going.

Great map - Thanks! Does anyone know where the caves are that you go to in cave tubing? It's not like I'm driving or anything, just curious as to where we will be going.

The cave tubing is in Jaguar Park. I havn't been able to find it on any map, but you travel on the western highway from Belize City for about 45 minutes. On this map, we went past the Belize Zoo, but I don't remember getting as far as Belmopan. It might be a part of the Blue Hole Natl. Park, but its definately in that area.

• 3 weeks later...

I have several questions for the experienced tubers.......

Does anyone know if it is safe to bring a waterproof camera while cave tubing?

Also, did you wear watershoes?

How long is the tubing experience?

Is it one or two caves?

Did you bring a change of clothes which was left on the bus?

Did you tip the tour operator?

Was there any problems leaving money on the bus for a stop for something to eat after tubing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with these questions :)

Does anyone know if it is safe to bring a waterproof camera while cave tubing? We brought them. Both disposable and otherwise.

Also, did you wear watershoes? In our group, there were water shoes, teva sandals, and sneakers.

How long is the tubing experience? don't remember

Is it one or two caves? With Yhonny it was 2 caves

Did you bring a change of clothes which was left on the bus? No

Did you tip the tour operator? Yes

Was there any problems leaving money on the bus for a stop for something to eat after tubing? No problems with our belongings left on the bus, including money.

Went with XStream in late November, 2006.

Yes, take a waterproof camera and make sure it has a flash!

Wear watershoes.

Lasts about 2-2 1/2 hours.

Bring change of clothes.

No one in our group tipped...price was high enough!

No problem leaving things on bus.

They had "bags" of water and fruit at the end.

We had done ziplining earlier and almost missed the last tender to the ship! Cut it way too close. I'd do one or the other, not both. We also had no lunch so we went from 7:45am to 5:15 without eating.

I have several questions for the experienced tubers.......

Does anyone know if it is safe to bring a waterproof camera while cave tubing?

If your camera is not bulky it shouldn't be a problem. You won't be shooting any rapids but you will need both hands to steer and paddle at times. The caves are dark of course so if you drop your camera in the water you will need alto of luck finding it.

Also' date=' did you wear watershoes?[/quote']

Yes I wore aqua socks and they worked great.

How long is the tubing experience?

On the two cave trip we were in the water for about 90 minutes. Total time in the park was about 3 hours.

On the 3 cave trip we were in the water about 2 hours' date=' total time in the park was nearly 4 hours.

Is it one or two caves?

The cave branch system has 5 caves that can be explored by tubing. I have never heard of a ship tour doing more than 3 and some ship tours do only 1. How many you do will depend on how long your ship is scheduled to be in Belize and who you book your tour with.

Did you bring a change of clothes which was left on the bus?

Yes we did. The park has a large restroom facility adjacent to the parking area which can be used as a changing area. We also brought a change of footwear.

Did you tip the tour operator?

Yes we did. $5 per-person

Was there any problems leaving money on the bus for a stop for something to eat after tubing?

We use a waterproof pocket designed for swimming to keep some cash' date=' a credit card, driver's license and sign and sail card. Leaving money on the bus should be perfectly safe. I left my digital camera on the bus and it was fine. My feeling is why do it if you have an alternative?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with these questions :)

You are welcome. Have a great cruise! you will love cave-tubing!:cool:

Archived