Cat's Meow, Pez Quadro, AHH!

bickee

Sandal-ette,

The price my menu lists for the lobster is in the 25-35 dollar range (depending on the size). We were there last November and Barbara asked me not to put prices on, just in case of price increases. You could always ask to see what size the lobsters are before you decide! Their food was great, you won't be disappointed!

Rhonda

We just got back from our wonderful day in Costa Maya. Based on all the reviews here, we decided to head to The Cat's Meow. We had an absolutely perfect day!!! We took the bus (I'll try to post some pictures soon because it was a sight to see!) We got off at the 2nd stop and asked the driver for directions. Along the way, we were stopped by people at other beaches insisting we go to their beach. We stayed the course and went down to the end to the Cats Meow and were so glad we did. We were the first ones there and were greeted by Jorge to took wonderful care of us all day. Barbara, the owner, came by to meet us and explained where she gets her food from, that her kitchen was open for our inspection, etc. She is a perfectionist which made us feel very comfortable and very safe eating there. And the food was delicious! We ordered a bucket of coronas and had delicious chips and salsa. The salsa was freshly made. We ordered hamburgers for the kids, quesadillas, some fish dish and the coconut shrimp. The coconut shrimp were huge and absolutely delicious! We even ordered a second one!

It doesn't look like much when you walk by - but don't be turned off by this little hole in the wall - it was a wonderful day. The entire town is an experience - I particularly liked the speed bumps that were basically large ropes across the road. The people were very friendly and it was a perfect day if you are just looking to relax.

They had waverunners for rent right next door as well as massages. My husband took my daughter on a waverunner. I was going to get a massage, but the day flew by. I was sad to leave.

Barbara was well aware of cruisecritic and was genuinely interested in providing her guests with a wonderful experience. This as an A+ in my book. We couldn't have asked for anything more!

Places sound great. What beach area would be best for teens and parents? Cat meow sounds good but want to find best area to lay on beach? thanks

Go on down the street to the other end to Pez Quattro. You can rent loungers for $5 or buy an armband for $30 which includes drinks and the lounger.

Dave

Dave, I got another cruise booked!!! YEAH!!!!

Hi Sheri

Anyone going with you this time? Our next one wont be until Sept 2nd on the Conquest. It is starting to get busy here at the shop so I will be landlocked until it lets up in Sept.

Dave

My friend Karen, Michelle and Earlene. They all work over at the doctors office in town and of course my DD Ashlie!!!!:)

Hi Sheri

Anyone going with you this time? Our next one wont be until Sept 2nd on the Conquest. It is starting to get busy here at the shop so I will be landlocked until it lets up in Sept.

Dave

We had the best time at Cat's Meow. We were taken care of the entire day. We paid $10. for two lounge chairs for the day. We then each had a 45 min massage for $20 dollars each. After a while we were getting hungry and had a great lunch of coconut shrimp and some other shrimp plate. Many people just took their chairs out in the water and sat there. We were all so happy that we had read about this place. Our table mates did nothing but complain about going to Costa Maya but we enjoyed every minute of it. Go to the Cat's Meow.

It is like a cruise critic secret place to go. Almost everyone there was from CC.

Just returned from my second trip to Mahahual and the Cats Meow. We took the bus as usual from the pier area, but weren't dropped off at the end of the street like we were before. The bus kept going and ended up dropping us off behind the village about 4 blocks south of the Cats Meow. From the bus stop, we just headed toward the ocean and took a left on the main strip and walked for a few minutes north.

The day was overcast, but that didn't put a damper on our day. We just hung out and had margueritas and pina coladas, and coconut shrimp and ceviche.

Here is a picture of Barbara (the owner) and me...

act.sized.jpg

And here is a picture of our table, margs and coconut shrimp. By the way, "REAL" margueritas are served in GLASS, not plastic!

acp.sized.jpg

Thanks for posting. The pictures are nice, really give me an idea of how close the water is!! We are still trying to decide between Maya Palms, Tequila Beach or Cat's Meow. I'm now leaning more toward Cat's Meow.

2 weeks to decide!!

Becky

Ditto, Joe. Have you done a review yet on your trip?

We just have 12 days to go - the excitement mounts.

I put a link on our roll call to your pics - hope you don't mind.:D

Sorta have done some mini reviews in the Princess forum, but other than upload about half my pictures thats it. Still brain dead from the trip! :)

I had been following this topic for a few weeks. We went to Costa Maya last Wed. We met Barbara inside the restaurant. Then she came out & talked to all who were at the tables by the water. Told her I had read so many nice things about her. We also enjoyed Costa Maya & would like to go back some day.

JoeTx - So glad you put Barbara's picture on here. I forgot to take a picture of her. Are your pictures on a website that I would be able to see them?

Gail

Hi Gailc, I noticed you just returned from a great cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. We'll be sailing on her in just a few days. Anything new or interesting you can pass on that's happening on the ship or the ports you visited?

Did you see any of the shows? We know an entertainer on the ship and hope to see the shows he's in and wonder if you might have seen anything good.

Thanks, Steph

Steph - Not sure I'll be much help. I only went to one show which was the Headliner, Bowzer, which was very good. We did go to the Ice Show which we always enjoy. We had been on the Explorer in Oct. 2005, & it was the same Ice Show. It is cold there so bring something along.

We had never been to Belize. We did the city tour on the carriage ride for 2 hours. I had read that Belize is poor, & it was very true. If we had done a different tour, we may have come away with a better impression. We did like Costa Maya. Didn't do any tours. Took a taxi to Mahalol (sp?) area. Has vendor, bars, & restaurants along the water. Really enjoyed it. Then took the taxi back to the Village area by the dock. Another fun place to walk around.

We have been to Grand Cayman & Cozumal a few time & like both. Again no tours this time. We had been to the Turtle Farm the 4 times we were there before & love to go there. The only tour we had done in Cozumel years ago was to go to the Tulum Ruins which we enjoyed.

Have a great cruise. You will love the ship especially if you haven't been on that class ship before.

Gail

Thank you for the info Gail, I'm not sure of the names of all of the shows my nephew is in, but one is called Vibeology - or something like that. Of course he is in a lot of 'group' performances like the parade along the Promonade. I think everyone has to participate in that. We'll planning to see the Ice Show - can't miss that one either.

I'm looking forward to looking around the shopping area in Belize while my family goes on a cavetubing tour and in Cozumel we'll go to the beach.

Thanks again for your info. It helps!

Hi ..thanks for the pictures....

I had read on here awhile back that Barbara needs "fleacollars" for her cat/cats and maybe other cats in the town?? I am planning on Tequillla Beach but want to walk down there and bring some cat stuff if needed...

also one of my roll call members sadly lost her 5 year old kitty to this horrible pet food contaminated tragedy......pretty freaking sad when pet food might be safer in mexico than in North America huh? I was thinking that she might want to visit Cat's Meow to cheer her up?

Any way to contact them or does anyone know what the cats need?? thanks

Oh my. That is terrible. Poor kitty. Now they are looking back over the last 6 months and checking to see how many animals died of kidney failure before this news hit. I can't believe that this wasn't done on purpose by someone. Maybe I am wrong, but it sure does seem funny.

Don't know how to get ahold of Barbara at Cats Meow, but I am sure flea collars will be welcome in any event.:) I am just sorry I did not think of that. Maybe there is a store in the area that we can pick up some cat food for her little one.:)

Maybe JoeTx knows what she might need if he is around.

I read this entire thread with great interested. Coconut shrimp is my favorite!!

A couple questions:

1. The chips and salsa are complimentary?

2. Is the $10 bucket good for all beers or just Corona? (I prefer XX)

Archived