Cat's Meow, Pez Quadro, AHH!

bickee

Northender~

Looked back at my menu I brought home and I didn't see any wine listed. I listed all the beers that were on the menu, I'm not a beer drinker so don't know if any of those were non-alcoholic. I will mention that we ordered a non-alcoholic pina colada for my son and they added the rum from that drink to mine...WOW...that was a surprise!! :D

We were in Costa Maya last week. The cab dropped us off in a seedy looking street but after walking over to the next street things were better, and we found the Cats Meow. Hugo was our waiter. We didn't know it was cash only, for almost our whole cruise too, by the way. We gave him a $6.00 tip for our $22 meal and he stood there like it wasn't enough. The food was good, not great. We met the nice owner and her cat.

A lovely native came by selling nice things cheap. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy the beautiful hand beaded belt for $5.00. They were doing massages right next door and Hugo would have arranged it if we wanted it. We walked down the beach a bit and they were doing massages up an open staircase on the beach that was more private which my daughter did while the rest of us snorkeled. The snorkeling was ok. But, while we were out a small boy got stung by a portugese man of war. They said it was very rare, and they boy was ok after medical attention but that was scarey. Over all we were not impressed and do not need to go back. The people kept bugging us after we left the Cat. And the cabby we had going back was kinda creepy! He kept grumbling or maybe growling on the ride. We were glad to be back.

Jetskier,

Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be a good idea to head straight to Majahual on arrival and arrange activities when we get there? (vs. booking ahead and on ship)

I would book at the kiosk at the port village when you arrive as it would be cheaper.

Dave

We were in Costa Maya 2 years ago and spent the day at a place called Tapas, does anyone know if they are still there? :rolleyes: We had a nice day right on the beach with chairs, massages, drinks and food, all very reasonably priced.

Ocean Paradise,

Just got back from Costa Maya and yes, Tapas is still there. Right in the middle of Mahahaul. Right where the bus from the pier drops you off...

Happy Lounging,

Paul

I really like the Cat's Meow. The owner, Barbara, is very friendly and the drinks & food are good and cheap. We especially liked the ceviche. The one thing we didn't like though, was the lack of lounge chairs. All they had were plastic tables and chairs. These could be under canvas covers or out in the sun near the water. The "beach" area here is very small, not very condusive for sun bathing.

Pez Quadro, on the other hand, has lots of beach, music, and lounge chairs ($5 for the day). They also had plastic tables and chairs under a canvas cover or out in the sun. I was surprised though, when they told me I couldn't order food and eat it on the beach where my wife had her lounge chair. Who would've thought that they be so restrictive in lil' ol' Mahahaul?

The end of town near Pez has other beach bars/food that will let you eat out on the beach (at least they let us do it 2 years ago on our last visit) so the decision must be based on personal preferences. It's only a 5 minute walk between the Cat's and Pez, so why not do what we did - try them BOTH!!

Enjoy the relaxation,

Paul

I didn't see any mention about the safety of the water outside of the pier area. Is the ice safe? Do not want to suffer Montezuma's revenge!:confused:

Cat's Meow uses purified water, all of her beef and chicken comes from Walmart, her seafood from select vendors, she has the only professional chef in the area.

Dave

I didn't see any mention about the safety of the water outside of the pier area. Is the ice safe? Do not want to suffer Montezuma's revenge!:confused:

Always mix the ice with liberal doses of Tequila and lime juice and you'll never have a problem!!:D

My husband, 3 daughters and myself spent an awesome day at the Cat's Meow on Feb.1. Before we even sat down, Barbara the owner met us and welcomed us. Hugo was our waiter and was fantastic. He kept the chips and salsa coming along with keeping the bucket of beer and cokes iced down. We ordered fajitas and coconut shrimp (the best I've ever had) and Hugo actually helped us moved a table INTO the water to set up our lunch! A bucket of 6 coronas was 10.00 and huge margaritas were 5.00. It was way too windy and water too rough to use the wave runners, but they were there if the water happen to calm down.

We took advantage of the ONE HOUR massages for 20.00 dollars. They were a little ways up the street, up stairs of an open, thatched roof pavillion. We used a young lady named Sadie and she was wonderful.

We were only in port until 3:00, so we had to leave the Cat's Meow by 2:00 to be safe. Our day was way too short. We had a wonderful time. Very relaxing. I am usually one who likes to be active when we are in port, snorkeling, shopping, etc.; but the Cat's Meow was a nice diversion from that and a great way to just relax and enjoy the great food, beautiful sand and water, and fantastic, friendly service. I can't wait to return! :p

Would like to know if Cats Meow has a web site? Or if anyone has recent Menu/price list?We will be on the Fantasy on 2/10-2/15 (Mom, Dad36 Daughter14)and plan on stopping at the Cats Meow and Chac Chi (hole in the wall resort) on our Costa Maya day.

My husband, me and two girls (9) will be on the fantasy and will be going to that area the day we are in Costa Maya. Was there in january and the realized later in the day the the futher down the beach you walk the less crowds. We stayed there across from Cat's Meow and it was crowded. Meet Charlie Brown, great guy took care of us all day. Set up the massage and all. I let him do it and instead of 45 min got 50 minutes for 20 bucks. It was wonderful

Did you happen to notice any place to rent snorkel gear for the day when you were on the beach? We're not bringing our own and would need to rent. :) Thanks for your help. Steph

My family was just in Costa Maya on Friday. We went to the Cat's Meow and had a fantastic day. We brought the snorkel equipment along....close to the shore there were some fish, but my husband and oldest daughter went out a ways and said it was decent.

I have never been to the other place you mentioned, but I would give the Cat's Meow two thumbs up!

Did you happen to notice any place to rent snorkel gear for the day when you were on the beach? We're not bringing our own and would need to rent. :) Thanks for your help. Steph

EEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Renting a snorkle is about like renting somebody elses toothbrush!

I know there is a bus that will take you to the Cat's Meow, but is it walkable? Would we want to walk? If it is a pretty walk, I don't mind walking......my husband and sons might not agree.

We are planning on going in March!! We will be there on March 21 and we can't wait!

Thanks for all of the great information.

Kathleen

This might be hand for your trip..

I w3ould make the Cat's Meow a MUST on any trip, if the owner is in she loves to talk with tourist. Very knowledgeable and brilliant woman! A Skys began to get really darm and we were about to leave when I had this bright idea>I do get them from time to time> Asked Barbara if we were in any danger.. she read the clouds and informed us "correctly" just a downpour of heavy rain usually lasting 15 min to half hour .We got under her canopy , had food and drink till storm blew over- Have some great storm pictures to boot

I have never been there befor. If you dont mined me asking how much did the jetskis and the massages cost at the cats meow?

Massages by the Cat's Meow are $20 for 30-45 minutes. My wife was able to get one for $20 for 60 minutes by going further down the beach. Pricing on the PWC's are anywhere from $15 to 60 per half hour. It depends on how many ships are in and how business is going.

Dave

Archived