Cat's Meow, Pez Quadro, AHH!

bickee

Is parasailing available along the stretch of beaches in Mahuhaul and if so has anyone noticed the rates?

Have been there twice and have yet to see anyone parasailing, so it's probably not available ... yet. But, after a few beers at Pez Quadros and margaritas at Cat's Meow, I might have missed it, but I don't think so.

Happy Sailing (just not parasailing in Mahuhual),

Paul

I thought I read that Cat's Meow is the second stop the taxi/busses make...but it looks like on a map on these boards that it's the first stop? Can anyone clarify for me?

It is the SECOND stop, usually. The first stop is Tequila Beach. Sometimes if there is noone going there it will go straight through.

Dave

We were just there on Wednesday. We took the David and Ivan tour to the Ruins (started at 12:00 and returned to Majahual at around 4:00). On that day, they were able to return us to either the city or port. We chose the city. We stopped off at Cat's Meow until 6:00 and then headed back to the ship to board by 6:30. Barb is what everyone says! She's great and there to meet you. Hugo was awesome as well. I think most people had already headed back to port as our ship was the only one left there. We were able to chat with some folks who worked at the pier and with some of the local vendors. It was a very nice and relaxing end to the day. We didn't eat, but Hugo brought us some chips and salsa. The margarita was STRONG. My husband had 2 and was feeling good. I had 3 or 4 beers, don't recall. They did have a sign up of a bucket of 6 beers for 10.00. I honestly don't remember what our tab was. They called a cab that came up to restaurant and picked us up. Maybe 'cuz it was getting late ;)

Getting there...we opted out of the bus. It is a 2 1/2 mile walk, but I don't think I'd walk it. We tried to get a cab instead at the pier, but they let us know they weren't allowed to pick up passengers inside the pier...only drop off. So we walked out the gates (there's a guard and he'll direct you to the sidewalk). We walked about 2 blocks where all the cabs were sitting and we got one there for the same price. $3 per person to town. (return trip is $2 per person. This is a set price for all cabs) They'll drop you off where the "street" begins for the city. I much preferred that over having to get on a smelly bus and wait until it gets full...then wait for people to get off at the stops, etc. I think they try to discourage that--at least the fences made it seem that way, but we had no problems and it was more relaxing.

On another note, I saw a lot of people on golf carts that they rented at the pier and they drove the 2 1/2 miles to town in those. You can also drive them through the town road that is mostly blocked off to cars until the end of the day. If we weren't taking the ruins tour, I think that would have been the better way to go all around. Of course, I don't know what they rented for, but you can go wherever you want that way. Pretty much the only cars on the roads are the taxis and tour buses. It's pretty safe to use the golf carts.

Cat's Meow is great, we've been there 2 times and asked for Hugo each time. Great guy, he'll do you right. He may be able to get you set up with snorkeling. I have a menu from Cat's Meow, can't post prices in case they have changed, but will say they are very reasonable.

Arrachera-grilled marinated flank steak w/fries and guacamole

Reef Beef Fajitas-beef strips w/bell peppers and onions

Sacrificial Hamburger with fries

Grilled Chicken Breast

Caribbean Chicken Fajitas

Caribbean Chicken Sandwich

Large Mayan Salad

Lobster

Jumbo Shrimp Brochettes

Filet of Fish-fresh local fish

Filet of fish Tikinxic mayan style-wrapped in banana leaves with bell pepper, onions and tomatoes marinated in achiote sauce and oj

Tropical shrimp cocktail

mixed seafood cocktail

Ceviche "the original mexican seafood salad" made with your choice of any or all of the following, shrimp, conch and/or octopus

Shrimp salad

Ceviche Maya-made with Conch

Beer- corona, victoria, modelo escpecial, montejo, pacifico, modelo negro, leon negro, sol, superior, XX

Mixed drinks-HUGE fish bowl type drinks, they don't skimp on the alcohol!

Hi there!! I know you preferred not to post menu prices, but would you mind giving a price range for the lobster:D YUMMY!!! Just curious, so I have a better idea how much cash we need to take with us. Also, I was wondering if Cats has lounge chairs available for their patrons? My hubby is a shade person, and I am water/sun type of gal. He's -Beer, I'm -magarita. So I cannot wait!!:) It sounds as if we'll need the cab ride back after the marg's! Thank so much...

Annette

Dave, thanks for the reply.

Do any of the places, like Cat's Meow or Pez or other places along the beach have music - you know the festive atmosphere with the drinks/food? My dad (who is leaving with us on the Sun tomorrow :D )loves to sit, drink a few beers and enjoy the fun of places like that. :)

Or if at Cat's Meow is there music nearby that is heard?

Kathy

There might have been music at the bars at the pier, but I don't remember any music in Majahual. I'm pretty much with everyone else, the sound of the waves lapping up on the shore is the only music my ears need. Take it from someone who normally listens to music 24/7, you won't miss it...

Just have to throw in my .02. We were at Costa Maya on Feb. 5th and, on the recommendations of this message board, headed straight for Pez Quadro. All along the way we were offered many deals on beer/food at many other places, but said "no thanks." Once at Pez Quadro, we took one look at the prices of beer and decided to go back to one of the other places. The beer was $3.00 each at Pez and we got a bucket of 6 for $9.00 just a couple of places down from there. Why would you pay double for the same beer?? We really enjoyed Costa Maya but you can get better deals somewhere besides Pez Quadro.

We did not go to Cat's Meow, but did see it.

Someone else had asked about music. We did hear a couple of the places that were playing music.

Also, you can get a massage at just about all of them. We paid $20 for a 45 minute massage, but you could probably negotiate it down.

A transportation question...Anyone notice if the buses or cabs had seatbelts? Lap or lap/shoulder? We plan to head to the beach for the day with the kids. Just hate to haul the carseats all the way down to the pier to find no seatbelts anyway.... By the way, do you pack beach towels from home or can you get these from the ship (we'll be on the NCL Sun.) Thanks for all the info! Can't wait to go....

A transportation question...Anyone notice if the buses or cabs had seatbelts? Lap or lap/shoulder? We plan to head to the beach for the day with the kids. Just hate to haul the carseats all the way down to the pier to find no seatbelts anyway.... By the way, do you pack beach towels from home or can you get these from the ship (we'll be on the NCL Sun.) Thanks for all the info! Can't wait to go....

The buses do not have seat belts. The cabs are hit and miss on having them. It is only a two mile drive to Mahahual. Beach towels you can check out from the ship at the gangway.

Dave

DH and I went to Cat's Meow last week! It was AWESOME! DH wasn't sure about it when I was telling him but he loved it when he got there!!! Nothing beat sipping a corona, eating fajitas, and sitting on the beach watching the waves break!!! Hugo was excellent!!! You can get shirts there too if you want! We met the owner ( I forget her name off the top of my head - Barbara maybe? ) and she talked to us about how her and her husband got there and how it has taken time to be accepted. Everyone was fabulous - highly recommended!!! Did I mention it was AWESOME!!! :)

There might have been music at the bars at the pier, but I don't remember any music in Majahual. I'm pretty much with everyone else, the sound of the waves lapping up on the shore is the only music my ears need. Take it from someone who normally listens to music 24/7, you won't miss it...

Joe, I see you are going to be there pretty soon. We still have 4 weeks to go but can't wait. Give us an update on your return of Cat's Meow and tell them there is a Gang from the Grand coming last week of March, so be ready.:D

Joe, I see you are going to be there pretty soon. We still have 4 weeks to go but can't wait. Give us an update on your return of Cat's Meow and tell them there is a Gang from the Grand coming last week of March, so be ready.:D

OH YEAH!!! I can practically feel that fishbowl marguarita glass in my hands and taste the ritas now!!!! I'm really hoping to take more/better pictures this time around, since I kinda know what people are looking for..

Archived