Baltic cruise - starboard or port cabin

We are considering a Baltic cruise on the Jewel. The itinerary goes clockwise leaving Harwich to Oslo, to Copenhagen, etc. around the Baltics. Can anyone tell me what is the best side to be on for views - starboard or port side. I would expect portside but maybe I am wrong.

My reasoning is simple. We, DW and I, did the Baltic last summer July/August 2006 and found that it really didn't matter. Oslo is a fiord trip and you see just as good on one side or the other. Same is true with Finland and Sweden. Any side was a good view. The only time we welcomed being on the starboard side was when we were leaving Warnamund, Germany. The send-off we got from the people on shore was something I would never have wanted to miss. It was something I'll always remember. People were everywhere. We by coincidence always seem to book on the starboard side. This was one time I'm glad we did. We would have missed the whole thing. But, generally, for the Baltic either side would be good. Just as a pointer, we went in the end of July beginning of August. We hit such great weather you'd have thought you were in the Carribean. Was it a fluke? I'd do that one again in a heartbeat. We are trying to plan the Med in 2008 when they come out on the postings. Got any insight on that one? Time/destination?

Gunghotogo,

We did the Med this past year the end of May. Weather was beautiful. Sunny and low to mid 70's All of the flowers were blooming. We were on Celebrity's Millennium. We did 12 days Venice to Barcelona. If you want a balcony get one on the port side to face St Marks' Square when sailing from Venice. We did not get one and I didn't regret it. We were up on the top to get the pamoramic 360 degree view when leaving Venice. It was awesome.We sailed at 5:00 and the sun was going down and all the church bells were ringing. I still get chills everytime I think of it. I hope you have a great time when you go.

We did the Baltics 2 seasons ago on the Star Princess. I don't think it matters which side you are on for views. We were on the starboard side and I seem to remember facing the port in St. Petersburg (ugly, commercial port but nice send-off with brass band) and in Warnemunde (fun send-off as well).

I'm not sure ships always dock in the same berths or even always facing the same direction anyway.

In terms of cruising, I truthfully thought we'd see a lot more scenery and activity while we were en route, but saw much less (other than large ferries) than I'd hoped.

If your ship is doing the Kiel canal or the sail through the archipelago into Stockholm, it might be worth asking if one side is better than the other. Ours didn't.

We were on the Norwegian Dream last summer which went anti-clockwise so chose a starboard cabin. To be honest, I don't think it made any difference as I don't remember being close enough to land for most of the cruise for it to make any difference.

There are so many variables, it's almost impossible to say which might be important to you. Here are some factors involved, but you may not know until you board what matters:

1. Sunrise or sunset side.

2. Docked facing or away from port's pier/city view. (and ship doesn't always dock the same in the same port on different cruises!)

3. Smoking or not on public decks on your side.

4. Wind direction at any given time. (esp. if you have a balcony)

5. There is very little to see in the water anyway.

6. If you don't have a balcony, you'll probably be out of your cabin most of the time!

I was on the Constellation last summer for a Baltics/Scandinavia R/T from Dover--it didn't matter what side, IMO.

It is a wonderful, port-intensive itinerary--I'd recommend allocating your resources on the best excursions possible, including at least, a small-group tour of St. Petersburg versus a ship's tour. Try Red October, Denrus, Alla-Tours, etc.

Happy Cruising

My reasoning is simple......................We are trying to plan the Med in 2008 when they come out on the postings. Got any insight on that one? Time/destination?

Thank you all for your input. That opens up a whole lot more choice of cabins now as it would appear it doesn't make a lot of difference.

In response to your query about the Med cruise - it was by far the best cruise we have been on and I would do it again in a heartbeat - albiet I would do it slightly different depending on circumstances.

We took the 7 day RCL Med cruise leaving Barcelona, Marseille, Nice (Villefranche), Florence, Rome, Naples and a sea day. It was a very ver intensive port cruise and literally no down time. But I didn't have a choice, I couldn't get any longer time off to do a longer cruise - so I don't regret doing it the way we did. However, if I had my choice, I would take the RCL Brilliance or the Celebrity Millie (14 day). A most IMHO is Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples (Amalfi Coast/Pompeii) and then Greece, Turkey and Venice with 3 sea days. You really need those sea days to relax and enjoy the ship and some much needed down time.

We went in early October and our weathe was perfect - not a drop of rain or humidity, no jackets or sweaters required. Even on the ship in the evening it was beautiful; our sea day from Naples to Barcelona was sunshine and bathing suit/pool weather all day long.

Once we do the Baltic, we would like to go back and do a 12 or 14 day Med. I'm sure we won't see the same things again there is so much to see.

Archived