Is the helicopter/dog sled tour worth $$$$

Sue L

I am taking my family on the Alaska cruise in August. The one tour we all agree on in the helicopter tour with a visit to a dogsled camp. It sounds wonderful but it is 30 minutes flight time and 1 hour and the dogsled camp.

The problem is it is 490$ per person so this would cost me 2000$ for our family of four.( I could take another whole cruise for that)

I know it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience and since this is probably our last family vacation as the kids are on the verge of graduating college I would love to do it, but is it worth it?

Has anyone done the one where you actually drive the sled, DS thinks that sounds really cool.

Please, any help would be great!!!!!!

Sue

My opinion only, and probably most will disagree, but for me it was not worth the $. Three of us went 2 years ago, me, grandson and "large" husband (had to pay supplement 1/2 price for him because he was over by 10 lbs., but we were the only 3 people on the helicopter - oh, well). Loved the ride up, which I had been very fearful about ahead of time, but the dogsled ride for me was absolutely nothing to be excited about. I guess I had pictured ahead of time one of those long stretches of a ride out in the wilderness - no so at all, very short ride and really did not get beyond site of the dog camp. On the other hand, we loved the land ride at Seavey's (Seward, near Exit Glacier). This year we will plan a helicopter glacier landings tour (booked independ of ship).

The glacier dog sled tours are usually highly rated. It is IMPORTANT to know, that you do not drive your own sled. You will be in tantum with a driver, and can sit in the basket or ride the breaks. Some people in the past have commented, they did not realize this.

It is the most canceled of Alaska excursions. Happened to me twice, and I never did make it. Ended up however with the real thing, three times on winter trips and after going to "dog sledding" school to have my own team. So always have back up plans, know the port and what is available that you may want to consider. Also determine ahead- if you would go on a glacier helicopter landing if offered.

Coastal is a well run company offering excellent tours.

I can't comment on the dog sled part, but we did the Pilot's Choice helicopter tour last summer, which was about $2000 for the four of us and it was the most amazing tour. We and our then 16 and 11 year old boys thought it was the most awesome thing we've ever done. We flew over some spectacular scenery and landed on glaciers twice...once on top of a mountain! You won't be thinking about how much it costs while your doing it...just when can you do this again! Simply amazing tour.

DH and I did this tour for our honeymoon, which was a must. We booked directly through Princess. It was totally worth every penny and DH was over the weight limit by a couple pounds and had to pay extra but we would do it again and again in a heartbeat. We did not have a short ride at all. We went on the first trail, kinda short, but then they asked us if we would like to do the other trail as well and we said YES! We didn't drive the sled, but that was ok. We even spent extra time to play with the dogs at the camp. This was in 2005. It was worth the $1000 we spent.

Are they really that close with it? Wow.

Do they weigh you in street clothes, or do they dress you for the glacier with parka and boots and so on and then weigh you?

I just booked with Temsco for Skagway and they asked me our weights over the phone. I'm not sure if they follow it up with an actual weigh in though

Do they weigh you in street clothes, or do they dress you for the glacier with parka and boots and so on and then weigh you?

The weight is for total weight, including everything you bring. And yes, they can and do weigh you if they choose.

We did this a few years back with DD (then 9YO) - out of Juneau in early June. It was a great experience.

The helio ride was spectacular all by itself. The ride was on the glacier and although the dog camp was still "in view" it was tiny-tiny. There was the musher and DH, DD and I on a double sled. The musher allowed each of us a turn at brake (riding standing rather than sitting in the basket) and let my DD 'drive' (she gave the commands to the dogs).

DH has a niece who is a musher in Northern WI and MI. We've been on rides with her and her husband in the 'wilderness' and that was also great, but being up on a glacier was really very cool.

I am taking my family on the Alaska cruise in August. The one tour we all agree on in the helicopter tour with a visit to a dogsled camp. It sounds wonderful but it is 30 minutes flight time and 1 hour and the dogsled camp.

The problem is it is 490$ per person so this would cost me 2000$ for our family of four.( I could take another whole cruise for that)

I know it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience and since this is probably our last family vacation as the kids are on the verge of graduating college I would love to do it, but is it worth it?

Has anyone done the one where you actually drive the sled, DS thinks that sounds really cool.

Sue

WOW! And I thought $99 to see crocodiles in a park, and in a natural river environment in Australia was a lot of money. These companies would go broke if they were waiting for me to book their excursions. I would never pay $490 to do anything. If I can't see it from the ship, or walking on my own two feet, or riding a train, then I just won't see it. I'm looking at excursions that cost $45 to $55 pp. I would never dream of spending $490 or even $420 pp. Ain't nothing I want to do that badly. I do want to go to The Husky Homestead outside Denali, but I want to see the dogs and Jeff King. I'm not interested in riding the sled myself. And that's only $45. More in my price range. But I'm even contemplating forgoing that because Denali Park has their own huskies with free demonstrations three times a day, so we might just do that.

You don't have to spend this kind of money to have a fantastic vacation in Alaska. When we did the Inside Passage cruise in '99, we didn't book any ship excursions, and I booked one local vendor van for $15 in Ketchikan. And we still had a fantastic week seeing/exploring Alaska.:p

Sue

WOW! And I thought $99 to see crocodiles in a park, and in a natural river environment in Australia was a lot of money. These companies would go broke if they were waiting for me to book their excursions. I would never pay $490 to do anything. If I can't see it from the ship, or walking on my own two feet, or riding a train, then I just won't see it. I'm looking at excursions that cost $45 to $55 pp. I would never dream of spending $490 or even $420 pp. Ain't nothing I want to do that badly. I do want to go to The Husky Homestead outside Denali, but I want to see the dogs and Jeff King. I'm not interested in riding the sled myself. And that's only $45. More in my price range. But I'm even contemplating forgoing that because Denali Park has their own huskies with free demonstrations three times a day, so we might just do that.

You don't have to spend this kind of money to have a fantastic vacation in Alaska. When we did the Inside Passage cruise in '99, we didn't book any ship excursions, and I booked one local vendor van for $15 in Ketchikan. And we still had a fantastic week seeing/exploring Alaska.:p

Just to explain a little more about the weight question - When my family took this fantastic trip 2 years ago, I booked the sled dog excursion from Juneau independently with the company (not thru the ship), and I think in all fairness to me that company should have considered my direct booking before charging me the additional $. I am a fairly small person (115 lbs) and my grandson was only 6 years old, and we were the only 3 people on the helicopter! I do not think they should have charged me for the add'l. for my husband (considering the total weight for the 3 of us) - but that is what had been stated in advance, and I had accepted when I reserved. We had a great excursion, and I am really looking forward to our next one for a glacier landing. It was only the sled-dog portion that was disappointing - not long or remote enough. They get you all geared up in their boots, the coats they provide, anything you will carry (ie camera) - then they weigh you!

While I'm not interested in spending $420/pp for a 1.5 hour helicopter/dogsled ride, I did book a Misty Fjords floatplane trip in Ketchikan for $209/pp - and that's our splurge. Different people value different things, and one person's balcony cabin is another person's dogsled excursion!

I would rather spend money on something that was very important to me, rather than hang onto it to buy more "stuff." Vacation memories last a lifetime, so if everyone in your family agrees that the dogsled excursion is what they really want to do - then I'd do it.

Yes, they looked at him and told him they have to weigh him. Yes, he had everything on because it is also for weight and balance in the helicopter. DH is a pilot so he understood. It sucked that we had to pay extra but we knew it might of happened. It was our last port and DH was eating what he wanted so he gained some weight while onboard. He was over by less than 5 pounds. Between 3-5, if I remember correctly.

Yes, they looked at him and told him they have to weigh him. Yes, he had everything on because it is also for weight and balance in the helicopter. DH is a pilot so he understood. It sucked that we had to pay extra but we knew it might of happened. It was our last port and DH was eating what he wanted so he gained some weight while onboard. He was over by less than 5 pounds. Between 3-5, if I remember correctly.

Different strokes for different folks. For me, I don't care about a cabin- some people have to have triple my cost in balconies. But I do spend money EVERY trip on flights and boat trips- I'll assume $100+++ boat trips are out too?? Frankly- these tours are worth the money- many times over for me.

Different strokes for different folks. For me, I don't care about a cabin- some people have to have triple my cost in balconies. But I do spend money EVERY trip on flights and boat trips- I'll assume $100+++ boat trips are out too?? Frankly- these tours are worth the money- many times over for me.

BQ,

Yes you are absolutely correct, We are all different. I think $100 would be the most I would pay for any tour especially when I have already put out $2800 for the trip to begin with. I can't think of anything I would really want to do to warrant that kind of additional expense. I had wanted to do some bear viewing but after researching the cost and where it is, decided against it. If I get to see a bear at Denali, I will be thrilled, but I'm not willing to spend $$$$ to see them. I'm even planning on taking the local bus to Mendenhall Glacier for $6 rather than pay $45 for the tour, and we'll just wander and do our own thing at the Visitor Center.

But that's just me, I don't pay $$$$ to go to Disneyland anymore either. I used to take my kids there, but it has just gotten too expensive now. When my granddaughter wanted to go, I did take her, but I was sure surprised how much everything costs now. Don't think I'll be going again anytime soon.

And yes, you are correct, the balcony cabin is much more important to me than any additional tours. My first two cruises were in Ocean View and that wasn't too bad, but after once having the balcony cabin on my 3rd cruise, I would never go back to a cabin without one. Now, if I couldn't afford the balcony cabin, I would wait to cruise until I could. As I stated earlier, I don't think you have to do any tours to still enjoy Alaska, but with the cruisetour this time, I think I will still see plenty without having to pay big $$$ for additional tours.:p

And yes, you are correct, the balcony cabin is much more important to me than any additional tours.

As I said - one person's balcony cabin is another person's dogsled excursion. In my case - one person's balcony = my trips to Disney World! I'm one who makes one or more trips to Disney World each year, but my mom lives an hour away, so I visit her, too. I visited WDW in March, June, October, and Nov./Dec. - for a total of 22 days in 2006 (I have an annual pass). I'll cut back on the WDW trips - after my annual pass expires in late November...maybe! :)

Thanks for all the opinions, everyone. I really appreciate it! I had my kids read this thread also and we have now decided to do just the helicopter part even though DS is a dog lover he said it is not worth it for the extra "major bucks" . He is 18 and very practical, on the other hand DD LOVES to spend my money. LOL.

Thanks for all the opinions, everyone. I really appreciate it! I had my kids read this thread also and we have now decided to do just the helicopter part even though DS is a dog lover he said it is not worth it for the extra "major bucks" . He is 18 and very practical, on the other hand DD LOVES to spend my money. LOL.

Sue L,

Sounds like you have a sensible 18 year old. I don't know if you plan any time on land, but there are sled dog tours where he could see the dogs. Seavey is out of Seward, Jeff King (4 time Iditarod winner) @ Husky Homestead is out of Denali and I think there is one out of Skagway at Carcross, if you are going to be going to any of those places I think it's a lot more reasonable than the Helicopter/Dog Sled Camp. Enjoy your cruise.:p

Sue L,

Sounds like you have a sensible 18 year old. I don't know if you plan any time on land, but there are sled dog tours where he could see the dogs. Seavey is out of Seward, Jeff King (4 time Iditarod winner) @ Husky Homestead is out of Denali and I think there is one out of Skagway at Carcross, if you are going to be going to any of those places I think it's a lot more reasonable than the Helicopter/Dog Sled Camp. Enjoy your cruise.:p

Archived