Seward - Boat tour?

Embracedbylife

We'll be ending our cruise in Whittier and then renting a car and going to Seward for one night. The 6 hour boat tour in Seward starts around 12pm and we don't want to be rushed getting there from Whittier. We also can't fit in the 6 hour boat tour the following day b/c we'll be heading up to Anchorage for our final night befor heading home. So, since the 6 hour tour doesn't fit our itinerary it is worth it to do the 3 hour resurrection bay tour or just travel up to Exit Glacier on our own? We plan to stop at the SeaLife center, but are not sure what else to do? Thanks for any advice you might have!

We'll be ending our cruise in Whittier and then renting a car and going to Seward for one night. The 6 hour boat tour in Seward starts around 12pm and we don't want to be rushed getting there from Whittier. We also can't fit in the 6 hour boat tour the following day b/c we'll be heading up to Anchorage for our final night befor heading home. So, since the 6 hour tour doesn't fit our itinerary it is worth it to do the 3 hour resurrection bay tour or just travel up to Exit Glacier on our own? We plan to stop at the SeaLife center, but are not sure what else to do? Thanks for any advice you might have!

I just received a 2007 brochure from Kenai Fjords Tours out of Seward regarding Resurrection Bay cruises and their operating dates. Does your post cruise date fit into the 3-hour cruise schedule?

Resurrection Bay Diner Cruise (4 hours, May 26-Aug. 19)

Resurrection Bay Tours w/Fox Island (5 hours, May 5-16)

Resurrection Bay Tour (3 hours, June 2-Aug. 19)

Resurrection Bay Tour w/coach (Full day package, May 18-Sept 17)

You can be off the ship and on your way by 8am or 9am, have time for the 6 hour cruise, plus fit in Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center, if planned.

Once through the tunnel, Seward is 1.5 hour drive with no delays or stopping. Take your time heading back up the next day.

The bay cruise is just that. It's doesn't get out far enough to see all the wildlife and glaciers that the longer one does.

LOts to do here including 2 kinds of dog sledding, kayaking, fishing.

We might be able to make it if we get off the ship at 9am and make it out of the tunnel on time. (I hear if you miss it you have to wait up to a half hour or more for the next tunnel opening). I don't really want to rush it getting from the ship to the tour for 12pm. Is the 3 hour tour worth it or is is similar stuff to what we'll be seeing in Glacier Bay and College Fjord on our cruise? We hope to go fishing in Ketchikan and Dog Mushing in Juneau.

I don't think the 3 hour tour is worth it.

The tunnel heading out of Whittier is open on the top of the hour, 8am, 9am, 10am for 15 mins. If you miss it you'll have to wait, up to 45 mins. You want to be in line before the time is up. I advise getting there 5 mins prior to opening. Whittier is very small. It takes less than 5 minutes to drive from the ship to the tunnel.

Right - there is a 3pm tour that is absolutely wonderful and covers the same route as the earlier 6 hour tours.You go to both the Chiswell Islands and Aialik Bay (weather permitting) as well as the face of either Aialik or Holgate Glacier. You'd have time to get from Whittier to Seward and see Exit Glacier before the cruise. The next morning you can have breakfast in Seward and tour the Sealife Center (usually not busy first thing in the morning).

I always call the 3 hour Resurrection Bay trip "nice" but certainly not at the same level as the longer tours that take you into Kenai Fjords National Park itself. Last year we lucked on a pod of 7 humpback whales feeding; they actually came right to the boat!

I also agree, I never recommend the bay tours, not even worth your time going to Seward if that is all you are going to consider. Spend your time north, unless you can go on the 6 hour tour.

Frankly, be organized, you will have no problem- IF You want to, making the 9am tunnel. You just walk off the ship in Whittier, walk to the Harbor Store, opens at 8am- verify this and pick up your car. It isn't even a mile to the tunnel staging area. Decide for yourself how you want to spend your time, but it is very doable if you wish.

We might be able to make it if we get off the ship at 9am and make it out of the tunnel on time. (I hear if you miss it you have to wait up to a half hour or more for the next tunnel opening). I don't really want to rush it getting from the ship to the tour for 12pm. Is the 3 hour tour worth it or is is similar stuff to what we'll be seeing in Glacier Bay and College Fjord on our cruise? We hope to go fishing in Ketchikan and Dog Mushing in Juneau.

There is an hour wait for tunnel openings. Sorry, no- there is absolutely NO comparism to anything seen on a Kenai Fjords boat tour and your ship sailing Glacier Bay and College Fjords. Kenai Fjords is way superior. Nope, my opinion, only, the 3 hour tour is a waste of time and nothing I would ever consider.

I became excited when I read about the 3pm tour, but then realized it's after May 26 and we'll be in Seward May 19/20. So, maybe we can try to make the 11:30AM 6 hour tour. Do we have to buy tickets ahead of time or can we see how our time is and just go to the tour office by 11am that day to buy tickets? I'd hate to buy the tickets and then not make it to Seward in time.

I became excited when I read about the 3pm tour, but then realized it's after May 26 and we'll be in Seward May 19/20. So, maybe we can try to make the 11:30AM 6 hour tour. Do we have to buy tickets ahead of time or can we see how our time is and just go to the tour office by 11am that day to buy tickets? I'd hate to buy the tickets and then not make it to Seward in time.

I didn't look at your dates of travel when suggesting the 3:00 tour. But I DID just now check to see when the 8 a.m. tour begins operations, and it starts May 19th! Could you do that tour (8:00-2:00) on the day you drive back to Anchorage? It sounds like you are going to spend that night in Anchorage and fly home the following day, but I can't tell for sure.

Nancy Il, and Budget Queen. Thanks for posting. Love getting local information. We will be arriving in Whittier Sept1 and have a rental car booked. I know we can be up and out and make the 9am tunnel. It looks like the tours still contine into September. Do I need to reserve now, or can I wait awhile. Also, do you have any recomendations on places to stay one night in Seward? Thanks Karen

I always reserve ahead Kenai fjords boat tours, although walk up space is common. However, if you are only limited to one timeframe, I would book in advance. Otherwise at the least, call or email the vender ahead of time and if tight, a few days before and get the load information. If the boat's wide open then certainly you can wait.

Someone said that if we can't do the 6 hour tour it may not be worth it to go to Seward and to go North of Anchorage instead. We'll be arriving in Whittier May 19 and going home from Anchorage May 21. Planned to rent the car and go to Seward then to Anchorage. If we don't do the 6 hour tour in Seward is it even worth going there? We were thinking we could enjoy the town, see the National Park and Sealife Center and then travel back up to Anchorage the next day. Is there more to see north of Anchorage in May? Deneli park isn't open until June right? THanks again for all your info!

As long as you're in Whittier, you could take your time departing from your ship, pick-up your rental car, but stay in Whittier for a 6-hour Prince William Sound cruise from 11:00-5:00: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/579.cfm Afterwards - drive to Anchorage for the next night or two.

Denali will be open to Toklat (mile 53) on May 20: http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttle_bus.php

As I posted above, now knowing that your flight doesn't leave until May 21, you could take your time driving to Seward on May 19 and see the Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, etc. On May 20th do the 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. - then drive to Anchorage afterwards. Fly home the following day.

If you arrive in Whittier on May19 and depart Anchorage on May 21, I would not consider going to Denali. I would get to Seward but if that is not what you want to do, then take the Whittier cruise that NancyIL mentioned, head up the arm, maybe even stay in Girdwood for the night on May 19, head to Anchorage on May 20, see some things in/around Anchorage, spend 1 night in Anchorage then head to the airport for your flight on May 21.

But with two nights, I would definitely make Seward work.

John

Thanks everyone. I think we will go to seward then, and maybe take in the 6 hour boat tour out of whittier on the 19th. The only problem with the 6 hour tour on the 20th before going to Anchorage is that we like to sleep in on vacation and not rush to get up and then be at a 8am tour LOL. We'll be up plenty early on the 19th to get off the ship so we'll want to sleep in one day and not feel like we have to rush it to get to a tour. I'm almost embarassed to say it, but it's true...we love to sleep in! So thanks again and I think we'll go to Seward afterall!

Denali will be open to Toklat (mile 53) on May 20: http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttle_bus.php

QUOTE]

Again, since you have not been there, you are posting- "general" information. There has been plenty of past years, where the shuttle did NOT get to Toklat this early in May. It totally depends on the weather, and for the full 53 miles, don't count on it until the end of the month.

If you arrive in Whittier on May19 and depart Anchorage on May 21, I would not consider going to Denali. I would get to Seward but if that is not what you want to do, then take the Whittier cruise that NancyIL mentioned, head up the arm, maybe even stay in Girdwood for the night on May 19, head to Anchorage on May 20, see some things in/around Anchorage, spend 1 night in Anchorage then head to the airport for your flight on May 21.

But with two nights, I would definitely make Seward work.

John

I also agree on this recommendation. Seward is worth the time and Denali park requires more time than you have.

Thanks everyone. I think we will go to seward then, and maybe take in the 6 hour boat tour out of whittier on the 19th. The only problem with the 6 hour tour on the 20th before going to Anchorage is that we like to sleep in on vacation and not rush to get up and then be at a 8am tour LOL. We'll be up plenty early on the 19th to get off the ship so we'll want to sleep in one day and not feel like we have to rush it to get to a tour. I'm almost embarassed to say it, but it's true...we love to sleep in! So thanks again and I think we'll go to Seward afterall!

Only you can make your choices, but consider, if you sleep in and miss a Kenai fjords boat trip, you have given up a spectacular opportunity for wildlfie and a glacier viewing. FAR superior to anything prior in your trip.

I've seen plenty of "nappers" on the boat tours, they certainly wake up with the excitment of noise from spotter's so that may be an option?

Again, since you have not been there, you are posting- "general" information. There has been plenty of past years, where the shuttle did NOT get to Toklat this early in May. It totally depends on the weather, and for the full 53 miles, don't count on it until the end of the month.

Whether or not the road will actually be open to Toklat that early - the Denali reservations system shows available shuttle times to Toklat on May 20th.

Whether or not the road will actually be open to Toklat that early - the Denali reservations system shows available shuttle times to Toklat on May 20th.

And it is important for the poster to know, this is STILL early and may not be the best option, IF they think they are getting that far into the park, which is a good chance they will not. It has nothing to do with the reservations available.

Thanks everyone for all the great info. We are going to go to Seward for sure now, knowing what everyone's said. So, one last question :) Is the Seward 6 hour tour far superior to the 6 hour Whittier tour? or are they kind of similar?

Very different and definately recommend to do both, if you have an interested in glaciers- which are endless and spectacular out of Whittier, or wildlife, which is the forte out of Seward.

Archived