VF Balcony Size on Noordam

2boyzmom

We had a VF cabin (5065) on the Noordam's sister, Oosterdam, last April.

Our balcony was about six feet deep. I'm almost exactly six feet tall, so my armspan is also six feet (see the famous DaVinci drawing of the man in the circle). Standing on the balcony, I could just touch the railing and the cabin wall at the same time.

Myw wife and I were travelling alone, so the balcony size was adequate, but cozy. Two people, two chairs and the small table fit pretty well. Three people would have noticed some minor crowding, especially since there's really no room for a third chair. Four would have been very crowded.

The lifeboats were not really an issue at all. They do not obstruct the view outward in any way. You can't see anything happening at the waterline or on the dock right next to the ship, but what is there to see there anyway? The top of the lifeboat is probably about a foot below the level of your deck.

For our Zuiderdam cruise this April, we booked a VE category on deck five (5113), only because they were only offering VF guarantees, and I didn't want to risk getting a VF on deck four. Those cabins have solid steel railings, rather than the plexiglas on the higher decks.

Paul Noble

My brother was in VF (5138) on Noordam. The balconey was smaller than the VD (4136) just below it and smaller than our VB (6127).

I know the VFs and VDs on deck 4 are about 18" deeper than Vx above them, but I thought all of the rest of the V's were just the same. (We've only been in VAs on decks 7 & 8.)

Are the VF balconies on the Westerdam smaller than a VE or higher? It is the sister ship of the Oosterdam I believe- Thanks

All four Vistas are pretty much identical in cabin layout, except that the Noordam has about 30 additional cabins at the stern on decks 5 through 8, so whatever you read about "Noordam" usually applies to Wester, Ooster, and Zuider as well.

I am in VF cabin 4115 on the Noordam's sailing to Alaska this summer. This is our first cruise. I am told it has a metal railing instead of clear plexiglass. Will that affect our view?

4115 is an H cabin, not VF, and is fully obstructed behind a tender. It has no balcony.

Assuming you meant to say 4015: judging from a picture I have, the railing is about 45 inches high, so depending on how tall you are it will probably be at eye level to a few inches above when you are seated. No problem with the view when you are standing! :)

I'm currently trying to figure out whether I should try to upgrade to a VE GUAR instead of a VF... I'd be OK with the steel, but, I'd obviously rather have plexiglass... we looked forward to sitting out on the balcony and having drinks and stuff like that...

Such tough decisions, dunno if I want to spend the extra 100 bucks when I'm already spending an arm and a leg ;) Hopefully I'll get an upgrade if I don't decide to go through with it and pay extra...

I'm currently trying to figure out whether I should try to upgrade to a VE GUAR instead of a VF... I'd be OK with the steel, but, I'd obviously rather have plexiglass... we looked forward to sitting out on the balcony and having drinks and stuff like that...

Such tough decisions, dunno if I want to spend the extra 100 bucks when I'm already spending an arm and a leg ;) Hopefully I'll get an upgrade if I don't decide to go through with it and pay extra...

For your honeymoon? SPEND the extra $100!! :D :D And you may even get a further upgrade from there. We booked VE GTY twice and were upgraded to VA both times. :)

Now I'm more confused- Do the VF's on the Westerdam Deck 5 have clear plexiglass or the steel balconies? I thought I had read that there are plexiglass-:confused: Thanks again

The only steel-walled VF cabins are on deck 4, 4005 through 4042. :cool:

I have 4005. Is this a major issue? Dies this mean when I'm lying in bed I can only see sky? Of course it does. I thought those little Christmas trees on the deck plans meant handicapped access or something..... :mad:

Archived