Camera Lenses and electronics

frannie

We will be in St Thomas in February . My husband would like to get a lense for his digital camera . Can anyone suggest a good store . Maybe one with a web site to check prices .We bought Camera equip. many years ago and it was very inexpensive . We are wondering if the prices are lower than in the states now adays. I would also like to buy a 30 gig IPOD if I can buy one at a good price

Fran

Hello Fran,

Check the prices at home for the camera equipment you are interested in so you have something to compare it to when shopping on island. In some cases you can get a good deal and sometimes its the same. The two stores that come to mind for camera stuff is Boolchands and Royal Caribbean. Not aware of a website for either that lists camera equip/prices.

--Islander

Hi Fran,

I bought a digital SLR on our last cruise 2 years ago and it was almost half the price as it was here in Halifax. I bought it at Boolchands on Front St. and they threw in a camera bag and a memory card. I have no complaints. I may also buy a new lense while on our next cruise. I would also suggest checking local prices first just to make sure. As for the IPOD I think they are around the same price. I would suggest Costco as they have the best price in Halifax. I hope this helps.

Hi Fran,

I bought a digital SLR on our last cruise 2 years ago and it was almost half the price as it was here in Halifax. I bought it at Boolchands on Front St. and they threw in a camera bag and a memory card. I have no complaints. I may also buy a new lense while on our next cruise. I would also suggest checking local prices first just to make sure. As for the IPOD I think they are around the same price. I would suggest Costco as they have the best price in Halifax. I hope this helps.

Thanks that helps

We will be in St Thomas in February . My husband would like to get a lense for his digital camera . Can anyone suggest a good store . Maybe one with a web site to check prices .We bought Camera equip. many years ago and it was very inexpensive . We are wondering if the prices are lower than in the states now adays. I would also like to buy a 30 gig IPOD if I can buy one at a good price

Fran

Royal Carribean is very well-stocked, with good prices. There are two stores, one at Havensite dock and one in the center of town. You might want to review B&H Photo in New York City for comparable prices. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ They have about the lowest prices and the largest in-stock inventory I have ever seen.

Gilbert

• 3 weeks later...

:D I am bringing 2 cameras with me and if the price is right, I will be buying for a friend of mine. Are there any rules to bringing back electronics? Our personal allowance is $750 each (which we won't use) so I am not worried about that, but is there any other duty or taxes that we have to pay if we claim it in our allowance? (we are in Canada btw).

Thanks!

I think the allotment is $750.each and I think, (not 100% sure) you can combine the two. Boolchand's is good for cameras and equipment. We bought a 2 gig SD card last spring and a lens for our camera for $125.00. We are going again end of March on the Crown. If you are under your quota, no duty or taxes are incurred. There is also a camera section in one of the jewellery stores but not sure of the name. We are from Mississauga.

The $750.00 is in canadian dollars and you cannot combine unless things have changed since we were in the USA in October. Hopeing to get a good price on a lense for a canon XTi and also on a 4 GIG ipod

Archived