Feast at Le Le or Old Lahaina Luau

miztravels

:eek: Hi - I'm so confused! Has anyone been to BOTH? We're really torn because depending on the review, each has been lauded as the best on Maui. So if anyone's been to both, please compare & contrast. And if anyone knows which is actually closest to where the POH docks, that'd be great info too. Thanks a million.

Both are in Lahaina, which is across the island from Kahului and up the coast (about 1 hour from the port). There really aren't any luaus that I know of that are close to Kahului. Most of the resorts are on the west/south-west.

I believe that the two luaus are owned by the same people, but I'm not positive. Basically, OLL is at the north end of Front St. in Lahaina and Lele is at the south end in the 505 Front St. complex.

We have not been to either (don't do commerical luaus), but I can tell you a few differences. OLL is what many, perhaps most, mainlanders think of as a luau. It is buffet style with some pre-dinner activities and then several different performances. Lele is a sit-down dinner, more formal style, with entertainment between courses. One thing to consider is that at OLL there is a tiny "beach," but it really isn't one frequented by the public much. At Lele, the beach is not good for "beaching," IMO, but locals and others do stroll along it all the time. There will be beach "traffic" walking by. It shouldn't interfere with your enjoyment of Lele, but it is something to consider. As all beaches in Hawaii are public, you won't find any luaus on or by a "private" beach, so it's kind of a moot issue.

beachchick

miztravels:

Just did the Old Lahaina Luau in December, and I too was trying to decide between this and the Feast. This is how I narrowed it down for us.

If my husband and I were traveling alone, I would have chosen the Feast because it definitely sounds more fancy and romantic,along with gourmet foods being served, etc...

We were traveling with my parents so for the 4 of us, OLL worked best. The buffet was very good, and the experience was very special along with the setting. Just more of a casual experience in my opinion.

Maybe you can check out the menu for each and see what you would like better? I believe these are listed on their web sites.

Aloha-

Have been to both the feast and OLL, my husband is an agent here on maui so he "has" to go to activities for research. The feast is much more intimate, you only dine with the party you come with and are served tableside. OLL is buffet style, keep in mind that OLL does not have fire knife dancers b/c they strive for an "authentic" hawaiian luau, the feast does have fire knife dancing which is quiet entertaining. After being to every luau on maui, my suggestion is to do the feast hands down.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

If I have understood the reviews correctly the one I should go for given our circumstances is the OLL.

We are a group of 6 couples who are a family and friends group who often cruise together.

We would like to see a luau and I have got the job of selecting and booking but didn't know which to choose. I must admit I was favouring the Feast but if the setting is intimate and romantic perhaps we should go to OLL.

Is it wise to book well in advance?

Any advice please?

Thank you

Hello

If I have understood the reviews correctly the one I should go for given our circumstances is the OLL.

We are a group of 6 couples who are a family and friends group who often cruise together.

We would like to see a luau and I have got the job of selecting and booking but didn't know which to choose. I must admit I was favouring the Feast but if the setting is intimate and romantic perhaps we should go to OLL.

Is it wise to book well in advance?

Any advice please?

Thank you

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

We went to the OLL and it was very nice. I wouldn't say the OLL is not a romantic spot, because it is. It's just that if I personally were planning a romantic evening as a couple, I would choose the Feast, for 2 reasons...they would seat us at our own table, and the gourmet food is served, rather than a buffet. Makes it more special IMO.

For the OLL they seat you at long tables of 8 or 9, so with your party of 6 you might have another couple share your table. If it's important for you to have a private table, go for the Feast.

Another bit of advice...go to each of their web sites and read over the menus. That might nail it down even further.

On booking...not sure how far in advance you need to reserve the Feast, but I booked our OLL in August for the end of November. They reserve the best table for you in the order it was received, so we had a wonderful spot. You have a choice of 2 types of seating...one I think they call "traditional" where you sit on the ground (on cushions?) surrounding a low table. The other is at regular tables with chairs. They sell out months in advance so I wouldn't wait.

good luck and have a great trip!

We reserved Feast at Lele in July for our October 25th dinner. It was recommend to us by some honeymooners who loved it. It was just my husband and myself and we were celebrating my birthday so the private table and sitdown meal and details of the show convinced us that Lele was the one for us. We were not disappointed. We were told that seating was assigned based on when your reservation was made. Because we booked in July for the October dinner, we were front row, dead center. So close that my husband was called to the stage to participate with the lead in the show. I laughed my head off even though what was happening in the show at the time was not comedy.

From our front row table, you could see people walking by on the beach but it in no way detracted from the entertainment.

Have a great trip.

We are tendering to Lahaina from Celebrity Summitt. I am trying to figure out which one we want to attend. It sounds like the Feast is closer for walking from the tender location. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary so romantic also sounds great. ;)

My DH is not a participator - do they respect that when choosing for audience participation :confused: . I want this to be a truly romantic and memorable experience for us both.

We are tendering to Lahaina from Celebrity Summitt. I am trying to figure out which one we want to attend. It sounds like the Feast is closer for walking from the tender location. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary so romantic also sounds great. ;)

My DH is not a participator - do they respect that when choosing for audience participation :confused: . I want this to be a truly romantic and memorable experience for us both.

Atb

Which cruise are you on? We are on Summit to Hawaii 28/4/07

I am interested in getting opinions on necessity of doing a luau while on ship?We are planning on doing one post cruise while on Ohau.Do you feel the two experiences will be quite different or about the same?And is it worht the extra money to do both?

Thanks!

I have been to both, and while the food at Feast is better it is not really gourmet as it is traditional Polynesian style of food. The best seating at OLL is on the mats near the dance area, and is not very comfortable especially if you are older. I think OLL is a better luau, and the Feast is a better eating experience.

They are both very good. Would do either again.

jc

Archived