QM2 Queens Grill Review (4-day cruise)

guzmsa

Just back from a 4-day "party cruise" aboard the QM2. My wife and I are a relatively young (40) couple traveling with a 10 year-old daughter, and since there are few reviews directed at our segment, I decided to post our impressions of this ship for the benefit of other potential passengers.

Reservations: we had booked a "regular" Queens Grill suite, but thanks either to the upgrade fairy or to Amex's Centurion Travel unit, we were given a magnificent Q2 duplex apartment. This is the best way to spoil a novice Cunarder, since there's nothing like having 3 bathrooms (that's right, THREE full bathrooms) for just the 3 of us in a double-decker suite that looks like it came straight from a prince's yacht.

Embarkation: Disastrous, courtesy of Fort Lauderdale's coast guard (or so we were informed) who made everyone wait until 1:30 (we had arrived at 12:00) before being allowed to board. I assume they had a good reason to keep 1,000 people (many of them in wheelchairs) waiting like cattle in the terminal building, but since they never bother with explanations, we'll never know, right?

First impressions upon boarding: The ship is magnificent, sparkling, elegant, and enormous. There were at least 6 other cruise ships in port, most of which sailed before we did, so I managed to get a good look at them. Not one could hold a candle to QM2's majesty (except for a rather small yacht that looked quite chic and that I later learned belonged to Seabourn's fleet). From deck 10 on QM2 we could see straight across the topmost decks of ships from HAL and Royal Caribbean.

Public rooms: Beautiful. Everything is brand new. I hope Cunard provides enough maintenance to keep the furnishings from deteriorating (when we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale, we saw the QE2 docked prow-to-prow next to the QM2, and its paint looked very rusty, so I wouldn't take it for granted that the new ship's maintenance will always keep up with the use and the elements). Only a few carpet sections show the inevitable water stains, but the wood panels, the deck floors, the artwork, etc., are spotless.

I highly recommend the Library (very impressive), the Commodore Lounge (for the view), the Royal Court Theater and the Planetarium. The theater is so large that you forget you are at sea (unless the ship is rocking, of course). For those who enjoy (like I do) sitting in a quiet corner, there are the card tables in the Atlantic Room (which is always empty except for sporadic bridge tournaments), the plush armchairs of the Boardroom (which is tucked away in a corner of the Commodore Lounge), or the board-game tables along a side corridor on deck 2 forward (walk to the right of the Royal Court Theater entrance). These tables overlook the waves through 4-pane thick windows. I was told by the staff that inrough weather they can be completely submerged by large waves (must be quite an experience).

Walking on the observation deck (outside the Atlantic Room on deck 11) is a must. Try to visit when the ship is cruising at slow speed (if it's going too fast, they might close the access due to "high wind"). If you stand there during a sailaway, or at noon during sea days, you may get to hear the impressive horn blast (the key is so low that it sounds less like a bellow than a giant belch).

The Queens Grill Lounge is worth your while at tea time. You can only have tea from 3:30 to 4:30 pm, though, so prepare ahead and arrive on time. They have a good selection of Wedgwood teas (yes, they come in bags, but I've had tea all my life and never thought that loose tea leaves were required to enjoy a good blend, just drop in an extra bag if you must). They are served by white-gloved waiters (that's a bit over the top) with finger sandwiches (I liked those with tomato), scones, and cakes. If you arrive at 3:30, you can get a second serving of tea, and even a third, if you haven't eaten too many sandwiches by then. Aside from that, the Lounge is just another bar, but since there's rarely a crowd, the service is quick(er).

There are 3 outdoor pools, one indoor, and one therapy pool in the spa, suited to different tastes and styles among passengers. For those who like the sun more than the water, there is the Splash Pool on the top deck. It is shallow and not really meant to swim in, just to cool off after baking in the sun. People just lie there until their backs turn red (and some actually like it). Then there's the Terrace Pool, which is the most similar to outdoor pools on other ships (it's where the sailaway party takes place, and where most people actually jump in the water). There are plenty of chaise longues around too, somewhat more sheltered from the wind than on the topmost deck, plus it has a bar that seemed to be hugely popular, although we didn't try it.

A deck below that, and all the way aft on the ship, is the Minnows Pool, which is very similar to the Terrace Pool, but directed at a younger (much younger) crowd. Kids who love horsing around should go there, and stay there (my daughter thought it was noisy and dirty, so we left). Finally, there's my favorite: the Pavillion Pool. It has a retractable roof that was never retracted during our cruise, which was just as well, because the nice thing about this pool is precisely the fact that it's covered (no wind, little sun, good bar, nice chairs all around, perfect). My daughter loved it and so did I. The pool temperature (for all pools) was 26°C (cool, but not unpleasant). As for the spa pool, it is the best I've seen on a ship to date. The water temperature is ideal (around body temperature), and the water jets are powerful, as they should be. There is a small jacuzzi next to the main pool for those who like boiling water (I don't), and there are other options such as a "perfumed" steam bath, a sauna, a foot water-massage station, etc.

The wrap-around teak promenade on deck 7 is another lovely feature, especially at night, when you can walk the entire length of the ship without seeing anyone (if you can stand the strong wind).

The Shows: There was a pianist-comedian who was hilarious. (My 10-year-old was laughing her head off, and so were the 80-year-olds, so it was a clear success.) Next there was a Beatles reminiscence show, where the favorite songs by the famous band were played by a group of (quite good) young performers. The last performance we saw was a series of dances and songs (mostly pieces from old, long-forgotten musicals, targeted at the older audience members and incredibly boring for our daughter, so we left early).

The Stateroom: Fantastic, but then again, for something called the Buckingham Suite, we expected as much. A comparison might be more useful: last year we sailed to Alaska on Celebrity's Infinity (one of their newer ships), where we had a Penthouse Suite (their largest cabin), of comparable size to a Q2 on the Queen Mary. Both have a separate master bedroom and a living room with a sofa-bed, perfect for families. The Q2 has 3 bathrooms to Celebrity's 2, but the Celebrity Penthouse Suite has a much larger balcony, with an outdoor jacuzzi, a wet bar, and room for a small party, whereas the Q2 only has room for 4 people on the terrace. Also, the Celebrity Penthouse suite looks directly over the ocean, whereas the Q2 has a view of the Terrace Pool and its afternoon reggae band (tsk, tsk). Both have a butler and canapés in the afternoon.

Our cabin attendant on QM2 (Myra) was as sweet and attentive as one could possible wish. Also, on QM2 you get a couple of free bottles of spirits to choose from on your first day (there was a lot left after just a 4-day cruise). In terms of decor, however, the Q2 wins by far, being a lot more elegant, and the double-deck arrangement gives it a special flair too. Besides, on QM2 you get to dine in the Queens Grill (see below), which is not an option on Celebrity. The QM2 does cost a lot more than Celebrity in ANY cabin level, including the mega-suites. Is it worth it? Hard to tell: the QM2 is the better option for sheer luxury, and the ship is nicer, although you'll get more bang for your buck from a suite on Celebrity. I would definitely cruise again on both. An older couple we met on board were grumbling about the whole large-ship thing, saying that they would never cruise again except in yacht-type ships. I guess I must try Seabourn some day (it looked nice), but for a young couple the size is irrelevant (actually, it's better to be on a large ship in bad weather), and there are SO many things to see and do on a ship like the Queen Mary, that I find it hard to see anything wrong with her.

Restaurants: We tried the Queens Grill and the Kings Court. There was no reason to leave the Grill except that my daughter wanted sushi at one point, and the only place they had it was the Lotus (which is part of the Kings Court). I was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be, well, like a food court, but it was much nicer. Not only did my daughter find the sushi she was pining for, but I was able to have a decent lunch there as well. Try it on port days, however (on sea days it crowds up too much during lunch and becomes ... a food court).

Now, about the Queens Grill: the best feature of this dining option is the single seating, from 6:30 through 9:00 pm for dinner. We had a table for 4 (for our little family of 3), which was perfect, because you don't have to meet other people (heaven forbid...) There was caviar (sevruga) à la carte every day for dinner, and I had many helpings. It is also true that they will prepare special dishes for you (my daughter had a couple of special spaghetti dishes off the menu, and once I told them I wanted a cherry pie baked for my next meal, and they gladly complied). For a well-behaved child, the Grill is probably a better option than any other formal restaurant, since they will accomodate special requests. (Parents with children take note.) Of course, if your child doesn't behave, then it can be a nightmare, because the atmosphere is very formal, so anyone throwing a tantrum or walking among the tables would cause great disruption. The cuisine itself isn't bad, but it isn't the best I've tried at sea either (the SS United States restaurant on the Infinity, for example, serves better fare). It most certainly is NOT like eating at a top restaurant in Paris, for instance. Still, I would dine there anytime and pay for it gladly, and I see how prospective passengers could find it to be a good enough reason for booking a grill class cabin.

The wine list is decent (we had some Grands Echézeaux from Romanée Conti, a great bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, a good vintage rosé champagne from Veuve Clicquot, and a 1920 Bual Madeira). They have the usual Petrus, Lafite, etc., but don't expect vertical selections or a huge variety. A sommelier told us that they used to have over 400 selections, but were down to 250 or so because very few passengers asked for the top wines and Cunard perceived it to be a waste of money to keep the cellar fully stocked. That was the only time I felt truly let down aboard QM2. If the Queens Grill crowd is no longer ordering great wine, who will? I suddenly felt like we were heading for a future of all-beer cruises.

Would I sail on the QM2 again? Definitely. Next time, though, it will be a crossing, in winter, during a hurricane. Gotta do that.

Guzmsa,

Thank you for such an interesting review of your recent QM2 voyage. Having viewed the suite you had on the preview tour's before the maiden voyage back in Jan 04 it was a truly amazing suite - still thought 3 bathrooms was a bit OTT though alt. I did like the jacuzzi bath with the electric blind from memory that look straight out to the Aft / wake of the ship!

Re the Queens Grill and the food not being like a top restaurant on land this is not the case for QE2 where I have dined on most of my Cunard cruises & even talking to friends' who been on both QM2 & QE2 - the QE's Queens Grill has the upper hand and is without question one of the best restaurants at sea IMHO and equals any great restaurant worldwide that I've been fortunate to dine at! How was the service in the QM's QG Rest? Friends I met in Sep last year on QE2 said the service was too slow!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Would I sail on the QM2 again? Definitely. Next time, though, it will be a crossing, in winter, during a hurricane. Gotta do that.

That's the spirit!!!! Just wanted to let you know, your review was one of the loveliest I've read. I truly felt like I was on the Queen taking a tour through your eyes. Glad you enjoyed the trip, and thanks for sharing with us land blubbers. :)

Dear RJMS74,

The service on the Queens Grill was quick overall, except sometimes for the bar/sommelier (they have staff who are both friendly and knowledgeable in charge of drinks, but there are too few of them for the number of tables, so you can't always expect to get your wine poured before the main course, which is annoying). The food itself arrives in an instant (if you order from the menu, all the dishes will be half-done already, so they will bring them to you in under 5 minutes). The waiters are attentive and will do anything to please. Only one waitress (Judit, from Hungary) seemed a bit cranky and fed up with the whole table-serving thing. We were seated close to a waiters' station and could overhear the conversations she had with her colleagues ("The people in table 30 don't know what they want to eat, I can't believe it, etc.")

The food itself arrives in an instant (if you order from the menu, all the dishes will be half-done already, so they will bring them to you in under 5 minutes).

:confused:

I find this sentence extremely disturbing. I can't believe that with the money paid for the Queen's Grill, a passenger would be rushed. Is it possible that you requested quick service? I will be in the Queen's Grill this year for a TA crossing. I'm looking forward to multi-course, multi-hour experiences, complete with aperitif, wines, and digestif. Maybe you or someone who has been in the Queen's Grill could clarify. Thanks.

The food itself arrives in an instant (if you order from the menu, all the dishes will be half-done already, so they will bring them to you in under 5 minutes).

I find this sentence extremely disturbing. I can't believe that with the money paid for the Queen's Grill, a passenger would be rushed. Is it possible that you requested quick service? I will be in the Queen's Grill this year for a TA crossing. I'm looking forward to multi-course, multi-hour experiences, complete with aperitif, wines, and digestif. Maybe you or someone who has been in the Queen's Grill could clarify. Thanks.

You will not be rushed in any way in the QG and can certainly enjoy the dining you seek. In my experience you can take just as long as you want over any meal. On some evenings a few wish to get to the early show and a word with the waiter will ensure service at an appropriate pace. Just say what you're after and it will be provided.

K.

Dear RJMS74,

The food itself arrives in an instant (if you order from the menu, all the dishes will be half-done already, so they will bring them to you in under 5 minutes). quote]

This was not the case on the December 16th sailing, I would say dinner was about 1 to 1 1/2 hours that that is without dessert as after the first night we started skipping dessert (not because they were bad, but because it was just too much food):p

I guess it's just a matter of priorities. I personally hate to wait for my food once I've ordered, so quick service is exactly what I wanted. They never rushed us, in the sense that we could take as long as we wanted to order in the first place. My wife and I managed to enjoy a full bottle of wine plus a glass of port or madeira with our dessert. We had 3 courses, then cheese, then dessert, then coffee, then the check (for the wine). All in about 75 minutes. Yes, at 39 I do eat rather like a famished dog, but hey, if you want to take it at a more leisurely pace, you'll find the Queens Grill very accomodating.

I guess it's just a matter of priorities. I personally hate to wait for my food once I've ordered, so quick service is exactly what I wanted. They never rushed us, in the sense that we could take as long as we wanted to order in the first place. My wife and I managed to enjoy a full bottle of wine plus a glass of port or madeira with our dessert. We had 3 courses, then cheese, then dessert, then coffee, then the check (for the wine). All in about 75 minutes. Yes, at 39 I do eat rather like a famished dog, but hey, if you want to take it at a more leisurely pace, you'll find the Queens Grill very accomodating.

Thanks for the clarification. Glad you enjoyed it.

Archived