Best time to board the Mariner?

We usually get there about 10:30 or a bit later. Boarding starts at 11:30 and the wedding parties board first, then the rest of us. The only disadvantage of getting there that early is that you can't pull up to drop off luggage as there are people still debarking. We just pulled into the parking garage and parked. We plan to do the same in May.

If you don't want to get there that early, then I would suggest about 1 as most people get there before then. You might be able to just walk on without waiting. The later you get there, the less waiting. I was watching from my balcony and could see that there were fewer people coming in after 1or so.

Katie

Thanks for the information. I had hoped we could get there at or slightly before 11 am since we have to be out of the hotel by then.

Katiel53: After you parked in the garage, how did you know when you could go into the terminal? We don't mind hauling our luggage to the port, I know it isn't that far of a walk. Plus everything is on wheels.

We boarded at 11:00 and did use the pull up luggage drop off (e drove to the port). The only disadvantage to boarding this early is that you can't access your cabins until about 1:00 or a little later. So be prepared to carry around everything you carry onto the ship.

Thanks for the information. I had hoped we could get there at or slightly before 11 am since we have to be out of the hotel by then.

Katiel53: After you parked in the garage, how did you know when you could go into the terminal? We don't mind hauling our luggage to the port, I know it isn't that far of a walk. Plus everything is on wheels.

After we parked in the garage, we just walked over to the terminal and our luggage was taken by the porter and we went into the terminal. We had to go in the far end, so it was a bit of a walk, but with everything on wheels, it wasn't difficult.

We went thru security on the lower level and then up to check in. There were quite a few people up there already. The lines moved quickly and we had to wait about 10 minutes and then went onboard. As long as everyone has the set sail pass printed, the lines move right along.

As mentioned previously, the cabins aren't ready until 1PM, so you do have to carry/wheel your carryon bag. We bought rolling backpacks for this. They were really cheap and work very well. We only use them for cruises but at least we don't have to carry everything.

Katie

If arriving around 11 or 12, what is the typical wait time before you're on the ship (I know this can vary, but... I'm asking anyway! haha)? By the way, what is the procedure? Drop off, porter... then what? First time cruiser here!!! :) THANKS!

We usually get there about 10:30 or a bit later. Boarding starts at 11:30 and the wedding parties board first, then the rest of us. The only disadvantage of getting there that early is that you can't pull up to drop off luggage as there are people still debarking. We just pulled into the parking garage and parked. We plan to do the same in May.

Katie

When we sailed in June, 2005, we left the Radisson Resort at around 10:30 and pulled up to the port just as they were taking off the barriers to lett departing passengers come in. We were cars 1, 2 and 3 and we just drove up to the porter area and unloaded the bags. Then, DH parked and met me and we got in line. Very quick checkin. You get priority in checking in if you are Platinium, Diamond and Diamond plus but we did not get priority embarkation.

When we sailed in June, 2005, we left the Radisson Resort at around 10:30 and pulled up to the port just as they were taking off the barriers to lett departing passengers come in. We were cars 1, 2 and 3 and we just drove up to the porter area and unloaded the bags. Then, DH parked and met me and we got in line. Very quick checkin. You get priority in checking in if you are Platinium, Diamond and Diamond plus but we did not get priority embarkation.

We are Diamond and got priority check in too, and had to wait like everyone else for boarding at 11:30. It was only about a 10 minute wait though to board. I think we had priority embarkation as we were waiting in an area with a smaller number of people. As mentioned the wedding parties boarded first and we were right behind them.

It would be nice if we were able to pull up and drop off our luggage instead of having to wheel it from the garage, but if we have to do as we did last time, it's not a big deal.

My biggest surprise was that the porters brought the luggage all the way to the car when we debarked. I loved that. I didn't expect them to do that. I thought we would get the car and pull up to get the luggage, but the porter said no, he'd take it all the way to the car. Sure worth the extra tip to us.

Katie

I'm wondering if priority boarding at PC might be what they do in Miami. There is a priority check in line then you are directed into boarding lines after your card is looked at. I had to ask, but the line that we were in was for Plat, Diamond ( and plus) /suites. We were the first line on after the wedding parties. We are used to Ft. Lauderdale where you actually have a separate lounge, That is what I asked about. Is this the system they have at PC?

There is no separate lounge at Port Canaveral for Platinum and above, but there is a separate line once you have checked in. I let the lady who was directing us know I was platinum and we bypassed at least 100 people waiting in a long line and were ushered right into the line to take pictures and board the ship.

I would arrive between 10:30 and 11:00, as mentioned above, before that the area to drive right up and drop your luggage with the porters is closed off for departing passengers. It opened around 11:00 last week when we went through. You can always park and simply walk over and get a porter, they'll come to your car. Just tip them right there and no need to walk back over there with them, just go through the terminal doors and go through security.

We rented from Budget and I returned the car, gassing it up, and was shuttled back to the cruise terminal all in about 20 minutes! We were in the Windjammer by noon. One tip, just open the doors to the cabins that have the signs saying cabins are not available until 1:00pm. Walk to your cabin and see if it is ready. You will more than likely find your cabin steward and even if the cabin is not ready, you can usually leave your stuff in it, just ask. We got off the Mariner last week, (review forthcoming), and many cabins on our floor (10) were ready when we left for breakfast and then to debark. This was 7:30am! I couldn't believe how fast the stewards had turned over these cabins- they even had compasses and lifepreservers all laid out on the beds.

Archived