Get me to the plane on time!!

WEGRIMES

I'm scheduled on the Coral Princess 3/29/07 and booked the air myself to save a couple hundred$$. We are to dock at 7am in Fort Lauderdale and I set up my return for 10am. When I called to get the transfer from the ship I was told I should not have booked anything prior to 10:30 and they can't give me the transfers. To change my flight the difference in a 2 hr later departure will cost almost $500 more. Princess told me to tell the purser that I need to get off the ship early but there are no guarentees. Does anyone know if I should make it or am I totally screwed?? :confused:

10am--yikes. thats too much stress for me. you would have to be at the airport by 8am-- suppose if the ship isnt even cleared til 9am.

Ship does dock at 7am but the ship needs to be cleared by Customs.

If people dont pay off their accounts the ship cant be cleared. Could be a mess.

Have a back up plan just in case.

check out http://www.cruisecal.com and see how many ships are debarking that day.

you do NOT want to buy cruiselines shuttle tickets. that could be costly and messy. you must wait til the bus is full then gotta wait to collect your luggage.

Best thing-- carry off all your own luggage andgrab a cab

If you are flying out of FLL, all you need to do is do the express disembarkment, take a cab, and you should be there in plenty of time. We did that in November, and even though it was about 8:00am before they called our numbers and I got stopped by customs, we were at the airport before 9:00am for an 11:00am flight. You need to sign up for the express disembarkment and that requires you to carry your own luggage.

"Express disembarkment" I'll sign up for that and PRAY!!!!!
You'd better have a direct line to the Big Guy upstairs 'cause you are in for some serious anxiety, even with self-disembarkation. As an FYI, with self-disembarkation, you'll need to be able to carry ALL of your bags, carry-ons, etc. off the ship comfortably and easily.

I've been on several cruises disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale that didn't even start to disembark until after 9AM, one time after 9:30AM. You should have seen the people crying and screaming that they had to get off. It was almost funny since there were plenty of warnings to not book that early. The last time, which was a couple of years ago, we were at the airport before 9AM but then it took over 30 minutes to check in curbside (forget inside) and another 45 minutes going through Security. Another time, we got to the gate as our 11:20AM flight was being boarded. I suspect you'd be much better off staying near the port or airport (which you can do for less than $100) and fly out the next day. Much less stress. I wish you a lot of luck because you're really going to need it. Yes, there are many people who will say that they made a 10AM flight with no problem but I would never, ever take that chance. Too many things could delay you and raise your anxiety level.

We booked a 10:10am flight out of FLL for Jan. 28th. We figured since the Princess agent told us that they recommend booking filghts at 10:30 or later, we would be okay with a 10:10 flight. Well, after some extenisve research on these (awesome) boards, most people say to not book before Noon. It would cost us several hundred dollars to change our tickets, so we are going ot chance it.

My advice is: go to the Purser's Desk immediately after boarding and let them know you need to be off first and will carry your own luggage. When you get off the ship have a porter get you a cab and flash some $ at him (about $10 I was told).

Good luck, we both need it!

Chris-------11 days 'til we cruise the CB, but who's counting?!

One thing to remember...there is a huge difference between people saying "we had lots of time making our 11am flight"...and making one at 10am.

Princess recommends nothing before 10:30 for a reason.

I would hate to spend my last 24 or 36 hours on the ship worrying if the headwind was slowing the ship down, or if customs were short staffed, or the other dozens of things that could slow you down from getting off the ship by a mere 15 or 30 minutes.

...and what are the financial implications or time implications if you do not make it???

My advice is: go to the Purser's Desk immediately after boarding and let them know you need to be off first and will carry your own luggage. When you get off the ship have a porter get you a cab and flash some $ at him (about $10 I was told). ?!

going to the pursers desk right after getting on wont help-- its the last day they start giving stuff for self embarkation--

will there be porters for self embarkation? I dont think they get there til a little later.

to the OP-- make a list of all available flights that will leave from FLL that you can take as a standby (just in case) this way it will be easier to know what your options are.

going to the pursers desk right after getting on wont help-- its the last day they start giving stuff for self embarkation--

will there be porters for self embarkation? I dont think they get there til a little later.

to the OP-- make a list of all available flights that will leave from FLL that you can take as a standby (just in case) this way it will be easier to know what your options are.

I agree. You can't depend on finding porters if you choose self-disembarkation. After all, that's why it's called self-disembarkation. Also, don't count on using the elevators -- those should really be reserved for those in wheelchairs or needing assistance. On our Sapphire princess last year, we had to wait 20 minutes for the elevator while very able-bodied people used it for their luggage rather than carry it. Very frustrating and certainly not fair.

We've got a 10am flight too, Delta, flight 471 to Atlanta, on Saturday, Jan 27th.The cost difference was huge, so we'll just take our chances. We aren't planning on having any carry ons, I would think that should help? It's too late, we can't change it now. BTW, what deck do you disembark from?

Two from Patty's Corollaries of Cruise Travel:

1. Always get into your port of embarkation at least one day prior. Even if you live in a warm weather city, your flight can be delayed by mechanical, labor, or weather (other city's weather can still affect the whole pattern of flights) problems.

2. Always book your return flight for late morning at the earliest. Even if your cruise has express disembarkation, you are still at the mercy of customs/immigration officials who aren't concerned with your arrangements. Then you need to get your transportation to the airport. Plus hope there isn't a traffic jam on the way or a long security line to wait in when you finally get to the airport.

You've cut it way too close for comfort. Since most airports want you to be there two hours in advance, you'd need to be at the airport at 8:00am. I agree with Serene56, this would make me way too nervous. I usually try for a flight around noon so I can have a leisurely disembarkation and have plenty of time to get to the airport, even if there are issues with customs, etc. Good Luck. I probably wouldn't pay for the change, but if you miss your flight, it could be a long day waiting for an empty seat on later flights.

My money is on you not making your flight.

Even if you are the first person off the ship, there are too many other factors that can make you late. One comes to mind that happened to us was customs held the ship for 1 1/2 hours before allowing us off. We were never told why.

Jay:D

Did you ever price those flights and see the difference the later ones are?

The reason being-- no one books the early flights so they do sell at huge discounts. thats why the later ones cost so much more.

I never looked into it-- but what does happen if you miss your flight. do you have to rebuy new tickets or can the airlines just sit you tight til something is available? Most flights during midday will all be sold out.

I realize everyone is giving their input, but it feels a bit like a child getting scolded 10 times after they've already admitted they did something they weren't suppose to do. We're just going to make the best of the situation and go from there. Everyone's comments about how stressful and problem prone our flight will be is helping with the stress part! I know we were just looking for tips to help get us to the airport earlier, not a spanking for trying to save about $300 and get home to our over exhausted babysitters!!

On our November trip on the Star out of FLL we were scheduled for a 1pm flight and the airlines changed us to a 10:35 flight.

We went to the pursers desk and had firt departure off the boat. We were easily at the airport by 8:30 with no problems. As long as you don't have any problems with clearing customs you should be fine. Just make sure you do request the first off departure at the pursers desk. Good luck! :)

One other thing to consider when booking an early flight out of FLL is that during the winter, there are very long lines for check-in and Security. It's a real problem and you could have the swiftest disembarkation possible and still be held up.

Getting off the ship swiftly and to the airport is the least of your problems. The two issues over which you have no control are U.S. Customs & Immigration. They must clear the ship before disembarkation can begin and absolutely nothing can speed them up or get them to allow you to disembark before the ship is cleared. All it takes is one non-U.S. citizen who hasn't completed and turned in their immigration form to delay disembarkation. The other issue is as mentioned above, crowds checking into FLL and going through security.

These comments, and previous ones, aren't meant to add stress but to add a dose of reality for those considering booking an early flight. I know your flights are set and can't be changed but it'll reduce your stress/anxiety level if you have a Plan "B" researched in case you do encounter delays.

On our November trip on the Star out of FLL we were scheduled for a 1pm flight and the airlines changed us to a 10:35 flight.

We went to the pursers desk and had firt departure off the boat. We were easily at the airport by 8:30 with no problems. As long as you don't have any problems with clearing customs you should be fine. Just make sure you do request the first off departure at the pursers desk. Good luck! :)

November is VERY different from January through April at FLL. Apples and oranges comparison; kind of like saying that you had no traffic on the highway at 1PM vs. 5PM.

November is VERY different from January through April at FLL. Apples and oranges comparison; kind of like saying that you had no traffic on the highway at 1PM vs. 5PM.
Not necessarily if you consider that the day we departed for the FLL airport was the Saturday before Thanksgiving which (at least in Detroit) is a highly travelled weekend.

IMHO I think that the OP has a chance of making his flight, but there are no guarantees since there are so many things that could delay him getting off the ship. :)

I realize everyone is giving their input, but it feels a bit like a child getting scolded 10 times after they've already admitted they did something they weren't suppose to do. We're just going to make the best of the situation and go from there. Everyone's comments about how stressful and problem prone our flight will be is helping with the stress part! I know we were just looking for tips to help get us to the airport earlier, not a spanking for trying to save about $300 and get home to our over exhausted babysitters!!

They asked for opinions, and that is exactly what they received. If they wanted everyone to say it will be all right, they are on the worng boards:)

Three suggestions:

1. Contract with one of the ship-it-home-for-you luggage services so you don't need to bring anything other than a small carryon.

2. Be ready for self-disembarkation forty five minutes before the first scheduled time, on the gangplank level. Hustle for a taxi as soon as you get off.

3. Either figure out how to print a boarding pass on board (and do so the day before you dock), have a relative or friend do it and then fax the boarding pass to you, or use the quick check in kiosks for passengers with no luggage if your airline has them. Check before you go.

If you don't have to wait in a skycap or baggage check line, and can just proceed directly to security, you've got a very reasonable chance of making your flight. If you miss your flight, speak to an agent at the airport, tell him or her that your disembarkation was delayed, and they'll get you on standby for another flight on that airline. (They aren't likely to endorse your ticket for use on a different airline.)

People miss flights pretty regularly with delays at baggage check in, security, and sometimes even finding parking spaces at airports. They may end up waiting around for many hours, but the airline does tend to get them home without charging extra fees.

Good luck!

Not necessarily if you consider that the day we departed for the FLL airport was the Saturday before Thanksgiving which (at least in Detroit) is a highly travelled weekend.

IMHO I think that the OP has a chance of making his flight, but there are no guarantees since there are so many things that could delay him getting off the ship. :)

the OP is traveling during the height of spring week vacation-- granted she is leaving on a Thuraday--what day they are coming back I have no idea.

easter is on the 8th of April.

Archived