Booking air through Carnival

gossamer61

We're doing SB out of Whittier on Carnival Spirit in July, and have booked the CruiseTour on the pre-cruise period. Anybody have any experience flying through Carnival? We haven't been able to get any info from them other than we'll know about 60 days prior to departure. We're a party of 6 and I'm concerned with flight particulars.

Hello again :)

While we haven't used Carnival air I can tell you that from what I have read here on the boards the schedule they put you on may not fit your needs. In most cases you fly in the day of. Not sure about Alaska. You could be stuck with several connections and run the risk that if one flight is delayed it could snowball. Of course, this could happen if you book your own - but you have SOME control. Booking on your own allows you the opportunity to have a back up plan.

Some will disagree with what I'm about to tell you - BUT - it worked out well for me. I looked at all the flights that fly from my hometown to Anchorage and checked one-way flights - recorded all the flights I liked and the prices. Then I found all the flights leaving Vancouver (YVR) and found the best flights (not before noon) and price - regardless of airline. I then checked booking through one airline using the multi-city option. For us it was slightly higher (less than $10. a ticket) to book 2 seperate one ways with different airline - BUT - I got the times I wanted. I could have booked with one airline and got it slightly cheaper - BUT - I was stuck with flights that got us into Anchorage at 11pm or later. I booked our Anchorage flight through America West (US Air) and we arrive around 3:30 pm. It was worth it to get in earlier and get to relax a little before our next day to sightseeing (we are flying in 4 days early). I can see where arriving early can be an advantage also if flying in the day of - which I never recommend - but what Carnival does.

Be warned that I have also been told that because I booked us one way tickets that we MIGHT to subjected to additional sceening at the airports. I have heard both ways - will and will not be looked at closer - but keep this in mind if you do the one ways (especially on different airlines) and just be prepared. I built time into our schedule just in case.

With 6 people I would be looking NOW. I know our connecting flight in Vegas is almost full, so I'm sure other flights are filling quickly. The prices have also gone up SIGNIFICANTLY since I books back in Spetember.

Good luck.

Most always, you are better off booking your own air. With 6 people it's going to be important on your seating I would speculate, late booking group space will have you all over the plane and WAY too late to do anything about undesirable flight schedules. It's easy to look for yourself so do that anyway and see what you come up with. You do have to add in your transfer costs- about $35++ Vancouver. I also suggest you consider adding a few days in interior Alaska, there is so much to see and do, and especially since you will be all the way there- consider taking advantage. A rental car can be a great option for getting around and seeing more. You will need to consider at least $50pp for a transfer to the airport.

Not sure... but looks like you've already booked air through Carnival?

Seriously consider cancelling air portion and planning your own...:)

If that's not an option, as soon as you get the information from Carnival regarding your airline, call that airline and get your reservation number. You can then go online and at least select your seats using that number for access.

We've not booked Alaska through the cruiseline, always independently, but family has. Scattered throughout the plane, and long layovers in weird places.

As for personal experience...

I did booked through Carnival for a recent southern cruise for air and transfer... after all, how bad could they make a Tulsa to Houston flight??? Many direct flights with just over an hour flying time. Well, I discovered they can make it bad... What should've taken all of 3 hours maximum, including flight and transfer to Galveston turned into a 9 hour ordeal with a Dallas layover/plane change, then waiting, waiting, waiting at the Houston airport for the Carnival shuttle to Galveston. Never again. We made it to the ship just about time for it to set sail, totally exhausted.

As noted above, if you do get your air through Carnival they will only book you to the flight(s) not get you seat assignments. Once you have your flight info go to the airline for seat assignment, if you don't either the airline will assign your seats or you will appear to be stand-by. You can ask Carnival about "Air Deviation" for an additional fee, they will work with you for flying in a day early, flying out a day late etc. and since you choose the flight options they give you, you will know your flight info right away.

Archived