How safe is Jamaica?

new2cruzing

:) I have read all your posts with interest and can see lots of valid points but I have to say that you really do not need to worry about your safety.

I live about 20mins from Montego Bay but work there and yes there is alot of crime and murder but this does not effect the visitors to the Island and is not directed at them either, its a local thing, so come get off the ship and go have a good time.

I have lived in Jamaica for 7 yrs plus and travelled / lived in many locations around the Island and have found people to be very warm and welcoming, very mush a step back in time when people had time to say "hello and hows your day", but you wont find much of this when your inside the tourist towns, like any other commercial town its all business and the best of Jamaica is not on the Hip Strip or in Ocho town, you have to get out and see its natural beauty.

Take a look at some of the Trip Reports on www.jamaicans.com to see what others come and explore in Jamaica, you may only be coming for a few hours but if you get to spend them the right way, you'll want to come back for more. You dont have to register or login to read the forum boards.

The county is far from perfect but isn't that the way paradise should be ?

A little lop sided and quirky but with a hidden charm.

RE: GETTING YOUR OWN DRIVER

It is just a safe to get a Red Plate licensed , insured JTB approved driver of your own to take you around (he will not put you in danger) as it is to take the big tours, you can still even go tubing, ziploning etc with your own driver. Still better to do any Plantation Tour with the ship desk as it takes up your whole day.

The big tour buses are very well done but for those who want to be independant and go at their own pace then I recomended you take your driver and bus from the dock or pre-book a driver via the net.

The advantage to pre-booking a driver is you already know how much its going to cost and where you want to go, so less stress and more time for fun.

In Montego Bay and Ochi Rios there is Maxi Tours www.maxitoursmontegobay.com who not only provide big bus tours off the dock but can also asign you a driver.

One of the most popular drivers in Monetgo Bay is Chef Thompson, he works as an indepenant driver but is a member of Maxitours and fully legit, he has a good site with lots of pics and info for all over the Island so it can give you ideas on where to go its www.cheftours.5u.com

RE:CRAFT MARKETS

I must admit that these drive me crazy most of the time. I love to look and I dont always buy but I really feel 'trapped' when I get a pushy sales assistant...and thats anywhere, not just in Jamaica.

If they would just ease off and let people wander they would sell more, I have told the craft market vendors this many, many times but they tell me that once people pass them they wont come back so its a one time chance to sell to them and if they dont sell anything then they are broke.

So it will be a long time before that chicken and egg issue is solved. But give it a go, there is some very nice things from art to sorongs, hand crafted jewellry,carvings etc.

RE: WALKING INTO TOWN

In Ochi Rios I'd say 'No Problem", as the town is on your doorstep and so is Island Village, the craft m,arket, the main shopping are, Margarittavillle, the new Hard Rock Cafe ect. You need a driver to get you to Dunns River etc.

In Montego Bay its is quite a walk into town, along the main road with no shade from the very hot sun, so I suggest you get a driver to take you into town / Hip Strip. I'm not a fan of MoBay but it has a fun beach at Aqua Soll on the Hip Strip and then theres te Dr"s Cave Bathing Beach, both coast around $5p.p entry.

So when we get off the ship in Ochos Rios, you are near Margaritaville? I have been reading some of these posts and now I am getting scared. We have been on 3 cruises ( 2 eastern and 1 western,but it didn't stop in Jamaica.) If we dont' do Dunn's River and just stay near the ship should we worry?

• 10 years later...

Anyone have an update on Jamaica? Montego Bay area specifically? We will be cruising in March and would love an excursion to Dunn's River Falls and or Blue Hole. Not sure how much we want to participate in climbing the falls but possibly due to recent surgeries and abilities of our family.

If we do not find something like the above, any suggestions on beaches close by and trusted transportation there and back to ship? (No resorts...I can do that at home.)

My husband and I love Jamaica, on our first trip there 7 years ago we met a small boy who was doing flips for tips, our son who was 15 at the time asked him why he needed the money, and he replied that he wanted some new shoes. Our son took his off and gave them to him, with a piece of paper with our email address on it. The two boys have stayed in contact ever since. That young boy even stayed with us while attending college, we have helped him and his family many times and every time we go back to the island his family embraces us and we hang out with them for the day.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I love Jamaica, on our first trip there 7 years ago we met a small boy who was doing flips for tips, our son who was 15 at the time asked him why he needed the money, and he replied that he wanted some new shoes. Our son took his off and gave them to him, with a piece of paper with our email address on it. The two boys have stayed in contact ever since. That young boy even stayed with us while attending college, we have helped him and his family many times and every time we go back to the island his family embraces us and we hang out with them for the day.

Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story! I'm sure you're very proud of your son :-) Karma isn't always bad, as you've experienced first hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Montego Bay since the US state department warning?

"Violent crime, such as home invasions, armed robberies, and homicide, is common. Sexual assaults occur frequently, even at all-inclusive resorts. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents," the State Department wrote in its advisory."

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/jamaica-travel-advisory-emergency

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html

"If you decide to travel to Jamaica:

• Avoid walking or driving at night.
  • Avoid public buses.
  • Avoid secluded places or situations, even in resorts.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
  • Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Jamaica.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist. "

So touched by the story. Your son is such a kind person, so are you. My regards to all of you!

Caroline, Twinkletoes (and others)...I do understand your comments re: vendors asking you to stop and look at what they have, or asking as you walk about if you need this, that or the other. I'm don't know about the culture of the islands on the rest of the cruise ship docking itinerary, but as expanation of Jamaica, especially in the cities, what you are experiencing is really no different than what Jamaicans themselves experience. (consider it a compliment?)

When my hsuband (a Jamaican) and I go to the capital city of our parish (think of it as similar to a state in the US, or a province in Canada) to shop for clothes, household items, groceries, etc....as one walks the sidewalks there are always 'roaming vendors' to encounter...those who do not have shops or stalls of their own, but rather carry their wares in a basket or box or whatever.) These items can be anything from q-tips, shoe polish and washclothes to heads of garlic and bunches of scallions to belts and flip-flops to phone cards etc. We're asked if we need anything that they have...if we do, we buy it...if we don't we just say "No thanks" and we continue on our way as do they.

If we go to the open air market to get fruits and vegetables and he's picking out carrots from one table, the vendor next to the one where we are is calling out "Ras (nickname because of the way he wears his hair), come see mi cabbage dem" (come and look at my cabbage) and should we then stop at that table, another vendor may call out "Ras, why yuh nuh wan buy mi mango?" (why don't you want to buy my mangos?) and the next one is offering a slice of watermelon to try hoping that we'll find it good and though not on our 'shopping list' we impulse buy and take home a whole or even half a melon..and the orange vendor peels an orange for us to eat on the spot hoping that a bag of his oranges goes home with us. Sometimes we purchase these items, sometimes we don't...it all depends on whether we have the money or not, or find the item something we need or don't.

Jamaicans call out to Jamaicans to 'advertise' what they have...you are just encountering the way it's done here. However, if one doesn't know the culture, I can see why you think you're being targeted as a "tourist."

One day while in the Ocho Rios craft market at the end of the Dunn's River Falls excursion, I sat with the vendors to chat. I watched tourists pass through...some looking at stalls, some rushing past as if something was going to bite them should they slow down. Some of the vendors would call out "Come, stop, look at my things"...90% of the visitors wouldn't say a word, wouldn't give acknowledgement....5% would growl out a "NO!!!...5% would browse briefly (some buying, some not).

The vendors asked me (being 'foreign born') - why the tourists were rushing, why they were rude not to even look up, or why they were so angry with their reponses. I explained as best I could that if they were rushing it most likely was for one of two reasons...they had an itinerary to stick to, a time limit for their stops and had to rush to the tour bus to get to their next stop. Or they were rushing because they heard scare stories about aggressive vendors. Or they were told not to make eye-contact because (heaven forbid) someone would ask them to buy something. Or they snarled a "NO!!" because they were having a bad day, or for any of the already mentioned reasons.

All expressed the same sentiment...(and again this is cultural)...it's rude not to greet people, one can say no without being angry or afraid. It is considered "old world" manners here to look someone in the eye and greet each other in passing (Good morning, good day, good afternoon, good evening, good night). Looking someone in the eye and saying "No thank you, we already purchased something like that earlier"...or "You're things look lovely but we don't need anything, thank you.".....or "No thanks but I wish you better luck with another prospective buyer and hope you have a good day." Anything at all to show manners...to acknowledge the vendor as a human being with feelings.

I bless the fact every day that being a vendor in a craft market, or on the sidewalk is NOT how I have to make my living. I have yet, after nine years of living in the country, been able to come up with an opening line that would make someone want to stop and see my wares (and most likely nothing different than they haven't already looked at or passed by.)

"Beggars" are a whole different issue of course, with a different way of response (yet still not dehumanizing.)

I wish there was more info given out on planes and cruise ships to explain more of the culture of the island, or cultural practices of the people...maybe it would give more understanding before landing or docking so that at least one would understand why certain things are encountered.

For those not wanting to encounter any interaction on the streets or beaches, the all-inclusive hotel/resort day passes will allow you some time to visit the island and have no interaction with Jamaicans unless they are in staff uniform and there to help with food or drinks, or the vendors that have been 'approved' by the hotel or resort to set up a craft area...and again, you shop or you don't, it's up to you...

For those who want to experience a Jamaican city or town (Ochi or MoBay or Negril) and want to take in beach time or a craft market, or an open air market...let your guide know you want them to be there with you to give you tips or advice or advise you on prices...there should be no extra charge for this, it's part of your day's outing. If you're on a big tour bus, and your group is large, and it's the type tour where the bus driver just drops you off and picks you up, you may not have this option, I'm not sure...but it doesn't hurt to ask the driver if they are allowed to accompany you.

It's your vacation, you should enjoy it, you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions (a hundred of them if need be!!) so that you can feel comfortable both before and during your stop. It all falls in line with what Twinkletoes said about taking the time to find out as much information as possible 'ahead of time'.

And Twinkletoes, I LOVED this comment of yours...very, very correct:

What may scare me, or not interest me, may be something that someone else doesn't have a problem with...or wants to do.

Everyone is different, everyone has different tastes and desires of what to experience...and every experience is possible here. Everyone here on this message board, is on the right track...you have a chance to ask questions, to read first hand information from others, to plot and plan your day so that it is right in line with what you desire...and maybe, just maybe, when encountering others with questions about Jamaica, or worries about the island or the Jamaican people themselves, you can pass on some tips, or refer them to message boards like this one...or they're lucky enough to deal with a travel agent who has themselves an understanding about the cultural ways of any location where their people will be stopping, and have spent time themselves actually interacting within a particular country and takes time to help plan those port stops to fit an individuals needs.

I hope none of you reading this feels like I'm "lecturing" :(...I'm just trying to give some info from "the other side of the fence so to speak. :)

Thank you for trying to clear up some people's confusion.