Dentist???

Sherry H

The "dentist" on the Veendam in February was a Dental Hygienist and she was there mainly to do the whitening and bleaching procedures for passengers (very expensive) but she could also look after any emergencies. Very nice gal - sat at our table.

When I was on the World Cruise in 2001,I sat with the ship's dentist at the Captain's Dinner one evening.He told me that he was on board for the crew AND for the passengers.

On another cruise a few years earlier,a friend of mine actually had some dental emergency performed by the ship's dentist.It was not a permanent procedure but it sure helped her get home without being in any pain!

It wouldn't hurt(no pun intended!)to call HAL and ask if a dentist will be on board your particular cruise,if you are concerned at all.

Have a great cruise.

Terri;)

There was a dentist on board when we sailed on the Amsterdam a few weeks ago, but the way I understood it was that he was there primarily to tend to the crew, but was also available for passengers if needed. :D

:)

Even theough the dentist is really there for the crew, I like the idea that if an emergency comes up, we pasengers can be taken care of. As some of get older and have more fillings and crowns, anything can happen. Payment for services rendered is the responsibility of the passenger.

This past Feb/Mar I had an accident and needed to see the doctor. The regular doctor wasn't on duty so our concierge took me to see the crew's doctor. It was great knowing that I didn't have to wait or make an appointment to see the regular doctor. Since the accident occurred on Half Moon Cay, the company took responsibility and I did not have to pay anything.

That's good to hear, KK. Glad you were well taken care of. I assume the accident was the result of some deficiency caused by HAL or there most likely would have been a charge for treatment. Just because the accident occured at HMC, they must have thought it was at least somewhat their fault/responsibility it occured at all. Happy all turned out well.

The ladies bathroom floor was very wet and slippery. The 2 attendants who were supposed to be mopping up the floor were too busy talking outside and not doing their job.

As a result, I slipped on the wet floor (and I was wearing crepe sole deck shoes). Hit my knee solid on the floor. The leg swelled up. Within a couple of days I was black and blue from mid thigh to the bottom of my toes. Even our cabin steward helped ice down my leg. Our concierge called the ship's doctor and made arrangements for me to see her. She took x-rays - no broken bones - only severe soft tissue damage. When I got home, an MRI showed no permanent damage.

Just another example of the great crew on HAL ships.

Archived